Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
ModelAman1930

Default help with wood floor kit

will a wood kit from a 1930 4 door sedan fit a 1929 4 door sedan, and if not can it be trimmed or made to fit, found one for cheap and want to make sure before I buy it, any help would be great...
ModelAman1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Skibb

Default Re: help with wood floor kit

ModelAman.

Welcome to the Ford Barn.

Recently my buddies and I replaced all the wood in a 1930 Briggs Sedan. Of course that included the chassis wood. You might think that process was a no brainer. Just fit the pieces together, find enough slotted screws of the proper size and slap that baby in place - after all it cost enough. Rule one: do not throw anything away. Rule two: the people who cut and made the kit didn't know you were the person who would eventually use it. So their complete lack of ability to make a kit that would easily fit a Moel A isn't personal. I don't have your answer. You won't be short of wood and coulf cut pieces to fit if you have the originals as templates. Remember rule one; it saved us a lot of time even with a '30 kit.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Bob C

His title says wood Floor kit. I assume he's
asking about floor boards.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
ModelAman1930

thanks guys, I found a guy who has the floor chasis kit for a 1930 4 door and wants only 100 bucks for it.. or trade for some fenders I have. so was just curious if the 30 would fit my 29. thanks again for your help
Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
john in illinois

I think the upper floorboards are all the same. The lowers vary with the emergency brake position. the back ones seem to be the same from Steve Waltrous drawings.

LINK http://www.stevewatrous.com/modelaford_p2.html

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Bob C

I'm confused, are you asking about body blocks, floor boards,
or body wood kit??

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
1930artdeco

I want to say yes. I believe that 29/30 Briggs are interchangeable. I assume that Murray would be as well. But that is what I have heard.

Mike
Old 10-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Dick Carne

I'm not sure what the differences, if any, would be where the cowl attaches as between the "29 and '30/early '31 fordors - other than that, the floor sills would depend on whether you have a Briggs or Murray-bodied car.

The Murray and Briggs body floor sills are quite different - the main similarity is limited to the length and perhaps the interior dimensions where the floor boards will drop in. The Briggs floor sills have the exterior moulding attached to them that run under the doors, and is much wider at the door openings than the Murray body floor sill accordingly. The Murray floor sill, on the other hand, is recessed to accommodate the door - the lower reveal being on the bottom of the door - and the positioning of the "B pillar" is different between the two as well. Much of the body wood is similar between the two body manufacturers, and yet there are numerous differences as well. The center post and the rear door post themselves are similar as I recall, but the rear quarter wood is shorter on the Murray bodied cars. and the rear center brace that attaches to the rear tire support is somewhat different as well - most of the top bows however are very similar or may even be interchangeable, as is the front header (again based upon my recollection). We recently re-did the entire wood in our '29 Briggs sedan, and I passed along a similar '29 Murray to our oldest daughter and her husband, so I was able to compare the two when we were re-installing new wood in the Briggs. I think that I may still have the patterns we used for both the Briggs and the Murray floor sills if those would be helpful.

Good Luck in your venture - as Skibb said above, it requires a fair amount of patience, and no kit is going to fit together without some serious massaging before the process is completed. I hope that this helps.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
ModelAman1930

im sorry, I meant to change that in my profile, I thought it was a murray at first, but then found out it was a briggs
Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
ModelAman1930

thanks dick, that was helpful.. and if you have the patterns that would be really awesome.. let me know what info you need from me
Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
1930artdeco

You can also check with Dan Gambill of the Town Sedan club. He may have patterns or know where to get them.

Mike
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
out plowing

Do you by chance have photos of that process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
I'm not sure what the differences, if any, would be where the cowl attaches as between the "29 and '30/early '31 fordors - other than that, the floor sills would depend on whether you have a Briggs or Murray-bodied car.

The Murray and Briggs body floor sills are quite different - the main similarity is limited to the length and perhaps the interior dimensions where the floor boards will drop in. The Briggs floor sills have the exterior moulding attached to them that run under the doors, and is much wider at the door openings than the Murray body floor sill accordingly. The Murray floor sill, on the other hand, is recessed to accommodate the door - the lower reveal being on the bottom of the door - and the positioning of the "B pillar" is different between the two as well. Much of the body wood is similar between the two body manufacturers, and yet there are numerous differences as well. The center post and the rear door post themselves are similar as I recall, but the rear quarter wood is shorter on the Murray bodied cars. and the rear center brace that attaches to the rear tire support is somewhat different as well - most of the top bows however are very similar or may even be interchangeable, as is the front header (again based upon my recollection). We recently re-did the entire wood in our '29 Briggs sedan, and I passed along a similar '29 Murray to our oldest daughter and her husband, so I was able to compare the two when we were re-installing new wood in the Briggs. I think that I may still have the patterns we used for both the Briggs and the Murray floor sills if those would be helpful.

Good Luck in your venture - as Skibb said above, it requires a fair amount of patience, and no kit is going to fit together without some serious massaging before the process is completed. I hope that this helps.

Dick
out plowing is offline   Reply With Quote