Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Bruce in southern OH

Default Riding a person in Roadster in Parade

Does anyone have good idea's/photo's for riding a person in 29 Roadster with top down in Parade, need to know if a cushion placed on top of top is good idea, feet in passenger seat?, what have you done in past??? thanks Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Riding a person in Roadster in Parade

Bruce in Southern Ohio .........................
Make them sit in the seat. Most politicians, and others, have no idea of how you are trying to preserve your car. They will grind their feet into your seat. Tear stitches loose, sit on your bows or whatever it takes to get themselves to be seen better. Not all, but most are clueless.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Bruce

'Morning, Bruce!
Parades are why God gave us rumble seats. Stick the mayor or the celebration queen in the back. Just don't throw candy!!
(I never let my kids sit on the boot when the top was down on our Chrysler 300. I wouldn't let them sit on the folded top, either.)
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Model T Monte

I agree whole heartedly with the others. Tie a wagon on the back if they need to be seen. LOL Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Bruce in southern OH

Thanks everyone, will do, put the top down a little while ago and then put back up, hauling the Flame Queen in a local October Fest, small town, parade only about 6 or 7 blocks, I will do as you say. Good to hear from you Bruce, hope all is well, Bruce in southern Ohio
Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Mark Schwing

As a local city council member, I've had the opprotunity to ride in a number of annual October parades always in a classic convertible of one make or another. If the owner hasn't already done it, I insist on a blanket or towel over the boot and I always take my shoes off before putting my feet on the seat cushion. They owners are very proud of their cars and are extremly pleased that they have been given the opportunity to drive a dignitary along the half mile or so parade route.
Mark Schwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Bruce,

Be sure the queen weighs less than 135 pounds. Remove the top completely and add enough padding for her to sit on the top of the back of the seat. Place a large blanket wrapped board on top of the seat for her to step on and rest her feet on. Be sure the board is large enough that she won't step off of it with her high heels onto your leather upholstery (don't ask how I know to make this suggestion).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Bruce in southern OH

Ok, parade over, HEY Bruce M., the little flame queen sat in the rumble set and her grandfather rode up front with me, ( 7th grade queen ) One thing I need next time is a fender guard, not that car it a trailer queen, but queen was in and out of car 10 times, hard to help in and out everytime, drag foot over fender and quarter panel would/could be bad. Back in the DAY I would say that the cars were beat up in that area, thanks to everyone, Bruce J.
( Still have plenty of IMAD patches for sell!!!!)
Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Frank Nemo

One thing I need next time is a fender guard, not that car it a trailer queen, but queen was in and out of car 10 times, hard to help in and out every time, drag foot over fender and quarter panel would/could be bad.

All the major Model A catalog parts vendors carry a fender protector for rumble seat cars. It works on all years of Model A's. I have one for my '30 rumble seat Sport Coupe and even with a lot of rumble seat use there are no scratches on my right rear fender.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
roccaas

A $1 million policy helps make the smiles at a parade brighter knowing you have protection from torts due to fire/fail/fall in an 80 year old contraption. Worth the $200 per year, especially if you also have a dog/boat/jet ski/race car/teenager, etc.Keep your auto rates at appropriate levels so they take the brunt before the $1million kicks in.

In general, a good policy for anyone with property, assets, or the risk of a trespasser on your property.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
sandmountainslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schwing View Post
As a local city council member, I've had the opprotunity to ride in a number of annual October parades always in a classic convertible of one make or another
City council member here also....U must be more POPULAR in your city than I am in mine...they always ride me in the back of a pickup truck during parades No convertibles have been offered to me.... lol

Wp
sandmountainslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
sonny30coupe

Oh, yeah, you are such a dignitary being a city council member.........gag....choke.what ajoke
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
sonny30coupe

oh, and what an opportunity.......
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Ha, ha, proud to ride council members in the rumble-----yeah, right! I did it it once and that was only because someone practically begged me. Never again----no parades for me. At the expense of sounding political------I ain't PROUD to haul ANY
council members or so called dignitaries-------anywhere. JMHO

Jack