Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #61
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Nickel plated parts that should be nickel plated. Easy to do. Also, a good 28-29 gas cap. Radiator cap too.
Plenty of Originals out there that can be re-plated..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #62
rogerkb1936

i would like to see decent quality repair panels , inner and outer, for bottom of deck lid. and, even simpler, a well made patch for right front fender for area behind and including where the fender brace attaches. this one should extend inboard about 5 or 6 inches.
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #63
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Plenty of Originals out there that can be re-plated..
Fred, do you have a cap you'll sell me? How about some 29 headlight buckets and headlight doors? A good radiator shell?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #64
midgetracer

I also would like to see quality ammeters. the repros are junk and not accurate. Also dash lights for round speedometer cars. The repros could burn your car up.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #65
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
i would like to see decent quality repair panels , inner and outer, for bottom of deck lid. and, even simpler, a well made patch for right front fender for area behind and including where the fender brace attaches. this one should extend inboard about 5 or 6 inches.
I agree, the panel below the deck lid opening is one of the most frustrating restoration aspects I have encountered....I've griped bout it several times in earlier threads. Still griping.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #66
Ted Duke

This comment is NOT about Model A parts, but the story applies. I used to sell office supplies wholesale. We sold QUALITY American made paper clips. Our competitors started pushing the foreign made ones (cheaper, because of less and inferior steel), so we ordered some too, and we sold a lot of them. BUT OUR customers, said THEIR customers complained about the poor quality, they bent and wouldn't hold more than two pages,but they wouldn't pay for GOOD QUALITY ones.

Quality costs money, doesn't matter where IT is made. Many people don't understand the risks involved in bringing out a new product or reproduction.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #67
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
This comment is NOT about Model A parts, but the story applies. I used to sell office supplies wholesale. We sold QUALITY American made paper clips. Our competitors started pushing the foreign made ones (cheaper, because of less and inferior steel), so we ordered some too, and we sold a lot of them. BUT OUR customers, said THEIR customers complained about the poor quality, they bent and wouldn't hold more than two pages,but they wouldn't pay for GOOD QUALITY ones.

Quality costs money, doesn't matter where IT is made. Many people don't understand the risks involved in bringing out a new product or reproduction.

Ted
this whole situation is a puzzlement to me. conversely to your experiences, foreign cars gained such dominance in this country because car buyers were in fact willing to pay more for the perceived quality and standard accessories. Now the whole industry is so blurred with foreign vs. domestic parts. assembly, etc., I don't know where it stands. But no denying foreign manufacturers clobbered the US companies, largely on quality.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #68
diomed

Sounds like there is a lot of uncertainty over what parts sell and entrepreneurs not wanting to risk laying out the cash to make parts nobody will buy. I'm not sure if anybody has heard of the Kickstarter website, but basically people who want to get a project funded post them on Kickstarter hoping they'll get funded. Here's a sample listing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-sleep-better

It would answer the question "Is this a financially viable part to make?". If a reputable vendor posted an item, there would be no question that the parts would get made.

In theory, it would be a beautiful system. In practice, I think it would only demonstrate that most guys are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #69
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
this whole situation is a puzzlement to me. conversely to your experiences, foreign cars gained such dominance in this country because car buyers were in fact willing to pay more for the perceived quality and standard accessories. Now the whole industry is so blurred with foreign vs. domestic parts. assembly, etc., I don't know where it stands. But no denying foreign manufacturers clobbered the US companies, largely on quality.
I can see you are puzzled indeed HOWEVER you are definitely NOT alone there. I liken it to cheating, ...by cheating it is a unfair advantage. Foreign car makers gained dominance in this country because their factories did not need to conform to the same rules as our country's manufacturers did. Blames US Gov't for that. Therefore the foreign manufacturers could offer an equal or slightly better product for a greater profit margin. Unfortunately during this time, US automakers AND their Unions were cranking out a poorer-quality product so it opened the door for a competitor. This is how the stronghold was formed. This has been discussed in college business classes for years however IMHO this really does NOT apply to reproduction parts manufacturers. Allow me to explain.

Some offshore repro parts manufacturers DO have the capability to produce high quality parts (parts equal to Ford's original parts!) however it is the consumer that sets the market price. Just as Ed suggested above, to a few hobbyists, paying $200.00-$250.00 for a latch is acceptable but most perceive it as too expensive. Therefore what are the options? Does he 'table' the project, --or seek a 3rd World country's manufacturer to do it cheaper using subgrade materials, sweatshop labor, and shops that do not have any type of government regulations? I have enjoyed reading each person's thoughts but in my view, it is like Kris said above, it still boils down to the majority are unwilling to pay for true quality.

Oh, for those who speak of a better Ammeter, buy the repro and use the shiney parts (lens, face, bezel, insulator, etc.) on a worn original Ammeter. Works every time! I purchased my little wrench to open them from Tom W.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #70
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Actually, and as Brent stated also, it is a bigger story than just THAT. You said it yourself 'PERCEIVED' quality. Just that.

Last edited by BlueSunoco; 08-03-2014 at 08:49 PM.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #71
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I can see you are puzzled indeed HOWEVER you are definitely NOT alone there. I liken it to cheating, ...by cheating it is a unfair advantage. Foreign car makers gained dominance in this country because their factories did not need to conform to the same rules as our country's manufacturers did. Blames US Gov't for that. Therefore the foreign manufacturers could offer an equal or slightly better product for a greater profit margin. Unfortunately during this time, US automakers AND their Unions were cranking out a poorer-quality product so it opened the door for a competitor. This is how the stronghold was formed. This has been discussed in college business classes for years however IMHO this really does NOT apply to reproduction parts manufacturers. Allow me to explain.
Also dont forget at the time the import cars became popular we were in an energy crisis and all weve been making up to that point in time was bigger heavier faster cars and only worried about HP and able to sit 6+ a dog. Meanwhile in europe and asia they've always made cars that are small, cheap to run, and buy (sure the interior and body fall apart but engine and mechanicals still keep going). So that already made them very economical to own. That appealed to peoples pocketbooks more. Then Ford GM Chrysler etc had to scramble to get their foreign market cars up to US standards for EPA and crash tests so we got things like the pinto, pacer, chevette, omni, horizon, assorted K-cars, cavalier etc to try to "catch up" to the imports.

I had someone told me it all started with the Japanese making Casio digital wristwatches for like $8 and you couldn't destroy them if you tried and for $8 no-one else in the world could even touch that level of quality for the price.

People - you and me included- want the best bang for our buck period - doesnt matter if its a TV , washer, furnace, tires, watch, handsaw, etc we just want our hard earned money to go as far as it can.

Sure some people waiver to either side and ALWAYS buy the more expensive thing because if it cost more its better made mentality (deffinately not always true) then the other end is "I wont pay over a dollar for anything but it should work flawlessly forever" mentality which isn't always true either.

Personally it depends on what it is and how often I'm going to use it factors what price i want to pay.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #72
rons49

My answer with no excuses or political jargon. I favor gas tanks( already produced for other old cars) and a close second, affordable Shocks.
rons49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #73
SteveB31

This is a great thread.

Interesting facts for you ....

New , much better quality ammeters are in the process of being made . they will done later this year. They will cost more then the current $9 ones.

1928-1929 pickup door latches have been made now for several years, in New Zealand. They were OK quality, but not perfect.

Last week, another company started making them as well. Much better quality, and about the same price. The first company that came out with them a couple years ago will likely never sell another, since a better one is now being made.

Patch Panels- Seen several complaints about them. Most patch panels (cowl, 1/4 panal etc) are currently being made by 4 different companies. Some are good, some are not. Those guys complaining about them likely purchased (unknowingly ) the bad ones.

Shocks- Many $$ are being spent right now, to have them made overseas, since many are not interested in Bill Stipes shocks due to the cost. they will be done this year or next year.

Bottom line- For something to be reproduced, as indicated here before, it take lots of cash , time, and planning.

Also , think about this. We sell 2 different 1930-1931 Hub Caps. Both are stainless on the outside, and steel on the inside (2 piece construction), not the cheap 1 piece ones. the Taiwan one sells for $9. the perfect USA one sells for $27. In our store, every time anyone wants to buy any, we show them both to them. Side by side. Tell them one is USA made, and one is taiwan made. 95% of the time, they buy the cheap one, even when I tell them they are hard to make tight in the wheel.

One of the most interesting things that I don't think most here are aware of, is most of the companies that make Model A Parts now, started out as Model A owners that wanted a part to be made, so they made one. Then they made 10 more, then 100 more, then another different part, then 100 of them, then they quit their job and started making Model A parts for a living.

So......if you want a better light switch, or dash light, or whatever, you have choices. Find and original or make your own. Then make some more for everyone else.

Even better, restore the part that came with your car. So many people are way to lazy to restore a part, so they just by a new one and complain about it.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #74
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
restore the part that came with your car.
There is only one problem with that. People like me never seem to buy complete cars, hence reproduction parts market exists.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #75
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
There is only one problem with that. People like me never seem to buy complete cars, hence reproduction parts market exists.
Well those incomplete cars that you purchase had the parts on them at one time, ...have you looked for them, --or is it just easier to buy the reproduction parts?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #76
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
Gas tanks; 28/29 and 30/31.
Here lies another issue with as "simple" a thing as gas tanks. Were there any variances in 1928-29 tanks? I know or at least four variations of 1930-31 (1929 style for early 1930 pickup with bayonet gas cap, 1930 oval speedometer, 1930-31 round speedometer, and 1931 with external shutoff, plus whatever happens with the change from tank mounted column drop to dash mount).

Again, it boils down to ROI, whether finiancial or love.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #77
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Some of us are not looking for cheap, we are looking for convenience and I don't personally care if it is original. And sometimes they are rusted through and how do you clean holes ???
Wayne
Ok, Buy another tank & still do it right before you install it !!. Still will be CHEAPER !! P.S Read above post !!

"CONVENIENCE" ?? Just how long do you think you will have to wait for it to be made ??

Last edited by Fred; 08-04-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #78
eagle

I am forever surprised at the amount of good quality repop parts available for the Model A.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #79
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Well those incomplete cars that you purchase had the parts on them at one time, ...have you looked for them, --or is it just easier to buy the reproduction parts?
Yes, easier, cheaper, faster.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #80
dumb person

Quote:
They do not exist. i know they do not exist because nobody outside the USA has seen any. i am suprised people in the USA have seen any in a while TBH.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote