Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #81
G.M.

Thumbs down Re: DEUCE HEAVEN: The Secrest Collection ... PICS from 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V8 AFFAIR View Post
G.M. -

I just noticed your post ... this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for with this thread!

I assume your '32 Cabriolet was the restoration that Mr. Secrest recently acquired (and "Big Virg" & "Mr. Brown" were restoring) in August of 1976?

Please post some pics of your '32 Cabriolet.
I talked Vergle Stirum when I was looking at the 34 roadster pick up and he told me he used NOS engine, trans, rear, front end, fenders, steering and I don't remember what other parts when he did my 32 cabriolet for Mr. Secrest. I bought this 32 about 28 years ago. Virgle also told me Bill had 43 NOS 32 fenders at one time. The 34 roadster P/U was sold to Bruce Church in N or S Carolina. G.M.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #82
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Re: DEUCE HEAVEN: The Secrest Collection ... PICS from 1976

Now I won't be able to sleep again tonight thinking about all those 32 Fords. GM I would love to have that 32 you have. I know it out of my price range. You are a hard man GM. That will be another night without sleep.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #83
Krylon32

Every time I look at this I realize how lucky I was to have had a chance to tour his collection in person.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #84
Old Redneck

I will never forget those pictures. They are the best. I have gone back to them several times to see them again. Each time I enjoy them very much. GM wants my poor little pick up and what else I am not sure. He tough!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #85
okiedokie

"I talked Vergle Stirum"

Virgil Statum, foundly known as Big Virg.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #86
Deuce-Addict

Was this the tudor from the Secrest collection?

http://deuceheaven.com/page-5.html
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #87
DavidG

Keith,

If you open your link you will see the history of the car, which I bought from the original owner. Mr. Secrest wanted it with a passion and I eventually succumbed to his entreaties. When his collection was sold off, Bob Everts bought it. Later it ended up in Gene Hetland's care. (When I saw it at Gene's, I could not believe how it had been mistreated by the previous owner.)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #88
38bill

Gene Hetland purchased a transmission from me a few years back. I delivered it to him and he was gracious enough to give me a tour of his collection. I believe that at the time he had something like 17 32's in his collection. He has been big into '32's since he was a young kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DH.jpg (85.4 KB, 72 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #89
rockfla

Great thread, it would be interesting to see some sort of collection of photos of truly great Ford collections.....I was fortunate enough to see two of them....Ron Thorne's in Utah (Of which I have pictures) and Nick Alexander's.....I have heard and seen pictures of the Secrest Collection from someone who was there at the 75/76 visit.....but is there more out there that we don't know??? The former Towe collection comes to mind too!!!! Not discounting GM & DavidG's fine collection either!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #90
Krylon32

I was lucky enough to get a tour of the Secrest collection in about 76 that was arranged thru the Mid West Deuces. It was an experience I will never forget.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #91
Deuce-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Great thread, it would be interesting to see some sort of collection of photos of truly great Ford collections.....I was fortunate enough to see two of them....Ron Thorne's in Utah (Of which I have pictures) and Nick Alexander's.....I have heard and seen pictures of the Secrest Collection from someone who was there at the 75/76 visit.....but is there more out there that we don't know??? The former Towe collection comes to mind too!!!! Not discounting GM & DavidG's fine collection either!!

Robert - would love to see them too. The Secrest pics and those on Gene Hetland's Deuce Heaven site are brilliant.

The Den Hartogh museum in Holland was superb, all recently cleared in a big auction by Bonhams. For now you can still do the virtual tour on their website; http://www.fordmuseum.nl/ford If only that technology to do a virtual tour existed back in Mr Secrest's day.

Last edited by Deuce-Addict; 09-05-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #92
rockfla

Keith
I beg your forgiveness in leaving Gene and Den hartogh out!!! Most definitely are deserving..... I have "heard" there is a fellow up in the Northeast trying to collect "all" the V8 convertibles????? Don't know how true or if SO but would be quite a collection to see!!!!!

ALSO quiet interesting that in the "mass" collection of 32's not one Euro bodied 32??

Last edited by rockfla; 09-05-2018 at 09:46 AM.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #93
Old Redneck

Never give up Pat. You have a nice 32. I did get to ride in it. What a nice car. Wish My 32 was as nice as yours. Maybe someday down the road.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #94
3949tl

Hindsight! Hindsight! Hindsight! So many ways of reflecting on this magnificent collection. Did he foresee the future or live only in the present- or both? It's obvious; it was not only a hobby but a "love affair' that generated this endeavor. When I think back (way back) I loved 32-40 Fords and had several but never more than one at a time. Now I only lament that I didn't have the foresight to anticipate the future. Back in the 60's and early 70's, there were so many complete cars and parts available that you only needed a place to store them if you had the inclination. My only remaining "treasures" are two 32 grill shells that have been hanging up in the rafters for many years. I did manage to acquire a 40 coupe a couple of years ago and now I'm hoping time doesn't run out before I can do something good with it. If not, I can only hope my son will carry on the torch and give the 40 a good home. Hindsight can be a wonderful thing but don't let it get to you.
3949tl is offline   Reply With Quote