Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #41
Lanny

Default Re: 34 Ford Need Advice

Your '34 is an older resto rod build. It needs needs some up-grades to make
it more of a street rod. (street rods are driven by the young and old, alike)
(and don't let the nay-sayers fool ya, street rods can sell for dang good money)

Also, the top insert trim looks kinda rough, could use a chrome windshield frame,
the interior don't look very fancy, etc, etc, etc.

Even in it's present body condition, if you can get the car to run, and lot drive,
it should bring north of $25, IMO, as it looks pretty solid.

Mine sold for a lot more than that....

Click on picture to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my pair '34's.jpg (51.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #42
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikx View Post
Yes, I am very handy and wired/rewired the entire car, plus some other things. I am somewhat limited in the strength department but my hobby is vintage travel trailer rebuilds, so am able to do pretty much anything.

The problem with the mufflers is that we don't have a pipe bender, plus they are the weld together type. I have the header to pipe connectors and two mufflers. If I had known there were complete bolt together systems, I would have suggested that. drat.
Looked at all the pictures. I'd start over with the mufflers and bolt them together. Paint is rough, wiring is not tidy, top is rough, interior is rough, no cover over the transmission, butchered up dash, un-restored frame/suspension. This car has a long way to go with a lot of work. In other words with the exception of the engine needs a complete restoration.

IMHO take the $18k and run. Getting it running and exhaust would add some value. I'd sell it as is.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #43
vikx

Your Fords are great Lanny!

I realize the car is not perfect and is not finished, but it does have good bones and there's no rust out, etc.

There is a lot going on right now in our lives, so the Ford has been on the back burner. I found the old mufflers and the 2nd tranny today, plus all the paperwork and books. So it is complete as far as I know. I have the transmission cover and stick as well as insulation for the floor.

At this point, I can't make a move on a sale or the mufflers until Vic is somewhat lucid. He seemed better today, so here's hoping.

Thanks again for all your advice. I'll let you all know what happens.
vikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #44
vikx

Hello All, the Ford is SOLD. We got over what we asked, so it's all good. The guy will get it running and bring it for Vic to see and take him for a ride. We are both pleased that these people are close to us, know what they are doing and are friends.

Again, I so appreciate all of your ideas and opinions. I was of a mind to just sell to the first person and you all gained us several K. Thank you.

Last edited by vikx; 07-23-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #45
Tinker

Ya kind of thought this was a sell add from the get go.

Street rods do well. If you factor in all spent to do so. Well we get upside down or ya don't. You can spend a lot of money just thinking about it.

I don't hate street rods. I have old friends that build wonderful cars and I live in muscle car and street rod territory. They are great.

I still someday want to build a open wheel T or A for fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CafEQS0yTyM&t=467s

Last edited by Tinker; 07-22-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #46
vikx

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Tinker, I'm not sure what you mean by a Sell Ad? My whole purpose in posting was for advice on selling this car. Whether to get it running or sell it as is. It has never been advertised to the public.

Per everyone's advice, we truly wanted to get it running but life gets in the way. With my partner being so ill, it just wasn't possible. Friends came by today and bought it. I posted that it was sold to finish this thread in a positive light.

All of your advice helped us immensely.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #47
Tinker

Quote:
Tinker, I'm not sure what you mean by a Sell Ad? My whole purpose in posting was for advice on selling this car. Whether to get it running or sell it as is. It has never been advertised to the public.

Per everyone's advice, we truly wanted to get it running but life gets in the way. With my partner being so ill, it just wasn't possible. Friends came by today and bought it. I posted that it was sold to finish this thread in a positive light.

All of your advice helped us immensely.

Yes I was going to add that. Sorry. All good, my bad. Just wasn't quick enough to correct.

Glad it worked out well for you!!!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #48
vikx

Thanks, Tinker. I'm going to tell my friend about this thread and the flathead lovers here! I think you will like him.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #49
Tinker

Quote:
Thanks, Tinker. I'm going to tell my friend about this thread and the flathead lovers here! I think you will like him.

you'd be surprised how many people come on here saying they picked up a cool barn find they picked from a reluctant seller and they would never ever part with it.... then 10 post later they are selling. ha ha.

all good, again... my bad.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #50
vikx

I certainly understand. We've owned this Ford for 15 years and she's a bit of a "shop find" but it broke Vic's heart to know he wouldn't ever be able to finish it... and now it will be in our own back yard!

I have my own Vintage Trailer forum and we don't allow ANY discussion of sales until a member has 50 posts. In the past, many joined just to sell; very irritating. Craigslist works better. The public can't even SEE our For Sale section. Ha.

Honestly, most of our members are not looking to buy. We have plenty to work on, if you get my drift...
Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #51
Tinker

Yep, get it. Sorry Vic couldn't enjoy it. We can get over our head on these fords. I try to just keep them drive-able. Hearty engines and weathered paint.

Again glad it worked out!