Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #41
Jason in TX

Default Re: Blower motor center main cap

Since a few people said they are learning about this, and pictures speak a thousand words, Here are a few pictures of "the strap"

It's a piece of I beam, with some spacers on the main cap bolts and a set screw/bolt in the center designed to push back on the center. They have the reputation of being a cap splitter, with people feeling all that force on that center bolt can act as a chisel and break the cap in the center.

They are installed with the center bolt thumb tight and then locked in that place. It doesn't have force pushing up on the cap. Just keeping it from flexing down.

This is the version that speedway sells:

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #42
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
I installed large studs and it was very specific installed heights and we had spacers on and preloaded every bolt to specs.
And this was Loctites products and their techs teaching us.
But perhaps it matters more when things are larger in diam.
Different methods work for different applications.
For studs in cast iron, which we are talking about here, if you bottom them even by hand, there is a REAL possibility the deck can be pulled up around the stud or the bottom of a blank hole punched out.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #43
Fordestes

so I put the studs in with loctite and tighten down to bottom by hand and then back the stud out by 1/2 turn and let set over night. would it be acceptable to put a main cap on after they are set to put a little tension on the threads so the Loctite can set as if it were in the installed position and the Loctite get into the places it wouldn't normally go without tension on the threads as Pete described and let set overnight, would green Loctite be a good thread compound to use after cleaning out the threads with acetone to get rid of all the oil and grease?
Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:22 AM   #44
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
so I put the studs in with loctite and tighten down to bottom by hand and then back the stud out by 1/2 turn and let set over night. would it be acceptable to put a main cap on after they are set to put a little tension on the threads so the Loctite can set as if it were in the installed position and the Loctite get into the places it wouldn't normally go without tension on the threads as Pete described and let set overnight, would green Loctite be a good thread compound to use after cleaning out the threads with acetone to get rid of all the oil and grease?
Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Fordestes
I didn't mention it but it is a very good idea to clean the area with acetone or tri chlor before doing Loctite.
They tell you that in the instructions.
It wouldn't hurt to put the cap on as you describe, overnight.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #45
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Different methods work for different applications.
For studs in cast iron, which we are talking about here, if you bottom them even by hand, there is a REAL possibility the deck can be pulled up around the stud or the bottom of a blank hole punched out.
Never said i installed them torqued into the block.
Just that i was told they should be loaded so the loctite doesnt get between the surfaces of the thread distributing the load when torqued later.
So installing the cap and preloading the stud while setting would be one way of doing it.
Enough of that im probably just overcomplicating things here...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote