Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
J Witt

Default Vacuum advance adjustment

What would be the amount of advance change expected per turn of the vacuum brake adjustment screw. I know it will vary with throttle opening, but in getting the timing adjusted, is one full turn a lot or a little? How much pinging should one expect with the the screw backed out to start?

I would assume one looks for an audible ping or rattle at low rpm/full throttle condition (WOT). Given that, how much adjustment is made at each effort to get the ping to just go away?

This is with stock 85 hp, iron heads engine. I think it's not too far off, but the fuel mileage is only about 12. It runs pretty good though, but is a little lacking in hill climb power.

And, a corollary is, if the static advance is centered, how much advance would be appropriate for modern 87 unleaded, no-ethanol fuel.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Vacuum advance adjustment

I don't know if you'll get any pinging with modern fuel on a flathead engine. The old fuel had low octane, modern fuel not so. The vac brake adjustment today is pretty much useful only to prevent erratic bouncing of the advance plate. If your engine runs smoothly, that's about all you can expect out of it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The brake could be described as changing the rate of advance...it essentially puts a drag on the operation of the centrifugal advance at low vac that slows down the advance.
Probably easiest way is to back it off almost entirely, almost because some drag stabilizes the brake disc that can otherwise float a bit. Back it off with fingers, because if you go too far with a wrench you will pop the spring seat off of the bolt almost effortlessly. Put it back down maybe 1 1/2-2 turns and see if you have pinging as you drive. Generally modern gas is high enough octane to need no further adjustment.
If your 85 is running the '37-41 type distributor, the base of the shaft at drive end will show a 68 or an 11...find an 11 shaft and advance as used in 1941 and you will get a slightly quicker and faster advance that should pick up mileage and power. Your mileage is way off!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
J Witt

It's this distributor, if I understand what you mean:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distributor (1328 x 747).jpg (44.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Yes...all the '32-48 use the same adjustment, the bolt with locknut at bottom center of your picture.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
J Witt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
OK, I set it as described and also bumped up the static setting by 4 degrees, will give it a road test tomorrow.

Thanks very much for taking the time to describe this. I couldn't find a good answer on how that vacuum brake worked and it's not shown in any of the stuff I have.

John