Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2022, 11:58 PM   #1
tomcarman

Default Old Cars Magazine

Maybe off topic, I'm not sure. With the latest issue of Hemmings was a solicitation to subscribe to "Old Cars Magazine" for a mere $27 for one year. I have been a subscriber to Hemmings "Classic Car" magazine for a number of years which I enjoy immensely but they kind of lost me when they split the issue with foreign made cars. Not that I don't like all cars however I'm more interested in domestic vs. imports. I'm curious if any of you have read this magazine and is it domestic oriented? According to their marketing spiel they also offer additional tips as shown in the photos attached. Not that $27 bucks is much to risk but if any of you have read this is it informative and useful or merely a perfunctory publication?
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220127_203017.jpg (17.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20220127_202749.jpg (33.9 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by tomcarman; 01-28-2022 at 12:04 AM.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:07 AM   #2
Anteek29

Default Re: Old Cars Magazine

I've been a subscriber for several years. I do not recall any import car ever featured - only domestic. I recommend it.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:38 AM   #3
Alaska Jim

I have been a subscriber for over 10 years. It is mostly domestic. It sometimes does have some foreign stuff, but they are collectibles for the most part. It is a pretty good magazine. all most all the other car magazines I used to subscribe to have gone under.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:39 AM   #4
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-28-2022 at 12:46 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #5
nelsb01

While Old Cars used to be weekly, they are now the most 'current' reporting the news next to the wonderful 'world wide web'. Great coverage of auctions and stories about museums and the collector car hobby.
They have been around for 50 years, still printed like a newspaper.
Only problem is that it comes delivered like a newspaper and sometimes is a day late arriving due to the pre-delivery reading by the postal carrier.

Would I recommend -- most certainly.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
5851a

I'm on my last year of Car Classic. I used to subscribe to many magazines and have over the years dropped many of them that turned other directions. Wasn't really impressed with the foreign content but could live with it. The main reason I have let expire is that it doesn't come with a cover like the old Hemmings and my mail 'Person' creases them all and uses it to knock the flag down on the mailbox.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
Joe Immler

Have been getting it for 17 years. Highly recommend
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #8
JayChicago

Me too, highly recommend.
It's different than most slick magazines. Printed on newsprint, but with plenty of color. Has recent hobby news, reports on recent auctions, classified ads. Feature articles and down-to-earth content that the average guy can relate to. Started fifty years ago in Iola Wisconsin; editorial staff still live and work out of Wisconsin. Published twice monthly.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:19 PM   #9
Ford Freak

Allright, you talked me into it! - FF
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:34 PM   #10
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
Allright, you talked me into it! - FF
Me too. I wasn't familiar with it and was worried it was more of a slick high dollar hotrod publication that wouldn't interest me in the least. I much prefer stock-ish and mostly original stuff and of course some good old fashioned backyard mechanican' solutions on a budget to keep cars running. I'll give it a try.
Tom
Old 01-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #11
petehoovie

Subscribe Here > https://oldcars.secure.darwin.cx/C**H41O

As featured in Old Cars Magazine > https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/featur...6-jeep-hot-rod

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-29-2022 at 11:11 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:27 PM   #12
tomcarman

Thanks Pete,
Pretty impressive though not quite my cup of tea but I do like it. Just finished watching Barret-Jackson auction live in Arizona. Crazy money being spent. I'm wondering where all this money comes from. Almost seems it's a made for TV (un)reality show. Makes me a bit disgusted and discouraged for the future of this hobby.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:33 AM   #13
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Thanks Pete,
Pretty impressive though not quite my cup of tea but I do like it. Just finished watching Barret-Jackson auction live in Arizona. Crazy money being spent. I'm wondering where all this money comes from. Almost seems it's a made for TV (un)reality show. Makes me a bit disgusted and discouraged for the future of this hobby.
I watched it last night for a while, too. I can't watch it very long because I can't relate to it. Nothing against those people who spend $500,000 on a car ( some buy 3 or 4!) , but it does make you wonder just how much money do they really have, and where did it all come from? I also thought about how big is the mansion they live in? More power to them, but they are not living in the same world as me, & a lot of the folks on here. I am happy w/my 3 "driver quality" old Fords. I believe that these old cars& trucks are meant to be driven!
JMHO. - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #14
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
I watched it last night for a while, too. I can't watch it very long because I can't relate to it. Nothing against those people who spend $500,000 on a car ( some buy 3 or 4!) , but it does make you wonder just how much money do they really have, and where did it all come from? I also thought about how big is the mansion they live in? More power to them, but they are not living in the same world as me, & a lot of the folks on here. I am happy w/my 3 "driver quality" old Fords. I believe that these old cars& trucks are meant to be driven!
JMHO. - F F

Herb Chambers sold A copy for enough money to retire on then strted a car dealership chain. One example of where the money comes from. Lots of money to be made when the right guy is in charge.