Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #1101
Als48

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Looks like good progress! What's a kiki bird?

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #1102
sugarmaker

Al,
Thanks, Not sure about that much progress? But as repairs are made, some things need to be improved a little. Need to get out there and work on something!
The Ki-Ki bird:
Those are the little ones that sit huddled next to one another on a high line and shiver till you can hear them stutter "ki-ki-ki-ki-ki-ki Christ, it's cold outside!"
In the old days we just called it winter, now they dont have enough to do, so names have to be given for storms, and the weather can be viewed across the country 24 hours a day! Amazing stuff!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #1103
sidevalve8ba

Chris,
Good job on those doors. Actually your doors are in better shape than a lot that I have seen. The ones on my '32 pickup were somewhat worse. I looked around for better ones but everything I found was even worse than what I had! It seems that folks were pretty hard on those doors "back in their day".

I'm glad to see we have another deer hunter too. I've been one for more years than I would care to admit.

Keep up the good work, Chris. I am really enjoying this.

Ted
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #1104
sugarmaker

Ted,
I had Venison burgers for lunch a couple days ago Reminded me of my first ones in 1968. VERY good!
Yes doors. My passengers side has a rusted out bottom. Hate to even think about repairing that. It may just stay like that.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #1105
flatford8

While I was resting “I walked the 60 gal Kobalt from the house garage to the shop “and plugged it in.

This isn’t what I call resting!!.....looks like you got a lot more snow than we do......nice work on the door.....That cab is gonna end up water tight and rattle free!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:48 PM   #1106
sugarmaker

Mark, Folks,
I go watch Billy and listen to the ragged ol' truck song often! The truck is going to be better. I needed the compressor for the door work. Had just got the room done for it and it was time. Had all kinds of reasons to not move it. Finally just squared off with it and got it moved!
We are maybe a third of what we usually get for the season. Some where about 120-150 inches.
Got my care package from Snyder's today. Lots of engine goodies. Talked to the machine shop and he will begin to sleeve cylinder #2 in a day or so. Will take him the mains and thrust washers for the crank work.
Found the correct dovetail for the door coming from Summit, who is a dealer for United Pacific, who was recommended by Snyders, which was recommended by David G.

The drivers rear door felt channel rebuild. Minor in the whole scheme of things. But will be functional now. With the new glass going in these details are important.

Will weld these new side pieces to the original channel:

A plug for these guys and gals! I am getting parts that I feel are really nice. Also great that someone answers the phone! They had all the B engine parts for the truck too. With about 1 day shipping time.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #1107
Tinker

I have that same compressor. Will spray about anything and keep up. It has the volume. Probably from a power usage stand point it'll use more electricity then a 3 stage. But maybe not. Painted a couple vehicles with it.

Oliver's. Looking to place this one. Probably should not post it here on your thread.

Truck is looking great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ollie.jpg (112.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 01-25-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #1108
sugarmaker

Tinker,
Fine on my thread, it's out of control in many off topic directions. That old green tractor could be brought back. Good luck with it. Starting to look more like a parts unit?
Folks,
May have the door glass within a week. More engine parts coming too.
As I browsed the Snyders catalog I see some parts that may have improved or reduced my oil leak on the B engine from Tenn. Me not being very wise did not know what I don't know. Well this #1 block should be better for water retention. And so we continue to learn.

Picked up 400 sq feet of Hemlock for the shop loft walls today. Needs months to dry out.
With the 32 in the background. 2015 in Ruby Red, and the Jubilee, just trying to stay relevant to old Ford stuff too:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-26-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #1109
sugarmaker

Folks,
Well my read on it; was a good day so far. UPS arrived, me and Maggie love when the brown truck backs in! One of us gets a package the other a biscuit! Had all the parts needed for the B engine build. John (42 Deluxe) and I took a ride to the machine shop. Also got a tour of his heavy equipment!
Block #1 (my 32 banger) was in the boring set up, sleeve is there. We are in go mode on this.
Now I am on the horns of a dilemma. Grabbed the mini fridge to bring over to the shop and the front lower door hinge fell off. Repair it or scrap it?? New one would be nice!

Did get the welding done on the steel channel:

Also smoothed up the top door covers for the gluing of the upper window seal:

Just about ready for the new door glass.
Hope things are good in Ford Land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-29-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #1110
sugarmaker

Folks,
Picked up the window glass from Hoffman Glass in Erie. He called me today and asked if I wanted it cut to original Ford dimensions. The glass out of the truck was 1/8 bigger front to back. I had him go to the 25.5 inch Ford dimensions. Since I am putting the new tighter felts in, it should provide just a touch more clearance for the window to roll up and down.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-29-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:57 AM   #1111
Mart

It's good that the glass place was able to determine the glass was oversize.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #1112
sugarmaker

Folks,
Off to work on the installation of the 32 door glass.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-29-2022, 03:47 PM   #1113
sugarmaker

Folks,
A friend was over and we were looking at the passengers side door on the 32. Several things:
The rust out in the bottom center and up about 5 inches in the center. Also the lower hinge area of the door has several cracks, allowing that area to be a little weak too.

The question is. If I take this door off to work on this outside rust area, it will probably never look like the original patina on the door again. I can almost see it in a primer for the lower portion.
Also I dont do much of this work and could mess it up or warp the door panel. I can weld but this will need some care. Almost would need a 5 inch patch panel across the entire bottom. Also some of the underside of the door is rusted away.
I think I could improve the cracks at the hinge area. With cleaning and gently Mig welding the cracks.
So is it better to leave the exterior alone and repair the structural hinge area only?
I see Ecklers has 32 truck door patch panels for $70.00 per pair. Anyone use these? Fitment issues?
Comments and or suggestions are always welcome. Is this one of those leave it with the rust or attempt to fix that area which is the worst rust spot on the truck?? Thanks in advance. I am pretty sure comments will cover both the reasons on both sides of the fence!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-29-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:44 PM   #1114
burnette

uhumm ! gonna get the ball rolling !!!
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:39 AM   #1115
tomcarman

Chris,
If it were mine I'd leave it as is given your intention of use. Battle scars and patina are its charm. In my opinion a patch panel in primer would stick out like a sore thumb. Others may disagree.
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:55 AM   #1116
KDL

Maybe just reinforce the lower edge from the inside without disturbing the outside. I've had good luck with epoxies. You could do the same with the upper section,

Or, leave alone.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #1117
sugarmaker

Folks,
Thanks guys for the comments. Thinking more on this one. (read that procrastination) Another Barner I was talking to last night suggested patches but leave them raw unfinished. let them start to age. with no primer. A interesting concept for sure.

The underside of the door is not in good shape with some rust and rot also.

If there was a time to work on it it would be now before the new glass is installed. I may dance around it a little more and try to come up with a plan.

The drivers door where I fixed the mangled dovetail area: well I am happy I did that, so my guess would be that what ever I did to the pass door would be a positive improvement to the truck, but as mentioned it would be quite apparent.

The old saying 'only original once', comes to mind. This rusted area was not an intentional disruption of the door, like the dovetail area on the drivers. It was a natural ageing issue while the truck was in service for the first 20 years. Hummm?

Had not thought of the idea of reinforcing the area? Hummm? KDL Need some additional pictures of your truck!

Currently the door, does function ok with the rusted areas. So any repairs would be cosmetic and or restorative in nature. Saying that and doing that pretty well assures that it will be an apparent change that happened recently. The old "stick out like a sore thumb comes to mind". I really doubt the original look could be brought back even close??

Maybe will see if the hinge pins move before I get too excited about this. A slippery slope for sure!

Hope things are good in Ford Land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-30-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #1118
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
Chris,
Good job on those doors. Actually your doors are in better shape than a lot that I have seen. The ones on my '32 pickup were somewhat worse. I looked around for better ones but everything I found was even worse than what I had! It seems that folks were pretty hard on those doors "back in their day".

I'm glad to see we have another deer hunter too. I've been one for more years than I would care to admit.

Keep up the good work, Chris. I am really enjoying this.

Ted
Ted,
So what did you do with your doors? Any pictures? Trying to get some ideas on the rust repair for the pass side truck door. And maybe the best idea is to leave the darn thing alone?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #1119
sugarmaker

Ok just for grins I copied the words I wrote 8 months ago, about this ragged ol truck and my plans. Maybe something in here is the key to this door issue?

The rough plan for this unit is
1. Get it out where people can see it. (Hope there will be some interest)
2. Service it to be running and moving/stopping safely.
3. Try to have some fun along the way meeting new folks and opening some new doors in life.
4. Trailer it to some events for show and tell. Its a good story.
5. If I could drive it to our local antique equipment shows within 40 miles within the next 2 years and not break the bank It will have met my expectations.
6. Meet some new friends that may help me along the way.
7. Long term goals = None Its just a day at a time.
8. Maybe the kids, grandkids, or great grandkids will have some fun with the truck at some point, even if its just to set in the shade next to it.

No mention about a full resto on the ol girl. I may meet my goals this year??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #1120
sidevalve8ba

Chris,
My doors were in pretty sad shape. In fact they had already had 6" patch panels installed sometime before I ever got the truck (and not very well, I might add). So I ended up having to use patch panels that went half way up the doors to the reveal to correct previous errors and rust damage. But with that and patchs on the door bottoms the doors were brought back to life.

Let's face it, these old trucks for the most part led a hard life and the doors took a lot of that punishment.

I wish I had some photos to show. I'm not as good at that as you.

Ted

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 01-30-2022 at 12:15 PM.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote