Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Beater

Default Front brake repair on 31

ok gents this is the first time ive had to take things apart up front. re built the rears and all good, but have one lil snag with the fronts the tube that has the arm that connects to the break rod, actuating assembly I guess they call it, will not come out. I have the backing plate off and the pushrod out. if tried giving it some hammer but it wont come do I have to take out the kingpin bolt and turn it to get it to come out? pass side came off but drivers will not

Last edited by Beater; 06-01-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Res731

Default Re: Front brake repair on 31

Yes, you have to turn the king pin slightly to remove the brake actuator. Otherwise you can't remove it.
Res731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
larrys40

As said above you will mess up threads if you don’t rotate the king pin /spindle bolt alittlw while moving the threaded stud end out of the spring perch. Looks like you need a full front end rebuild and brake job. The spring is shot and on the axle . In surexateering arm balls are shot as well. Remove them axle as an assembly and rebuild.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Beater

thanks for the help

how can you tell all that from that little one picture larry? brakes are being done. back end brakes done now already, just waiting on some new parts for the fronts ball ends are round and tight I had them off when I first got it. had the center apart this winter to rebuild a transmition and it is round and tight. kingpins have some play but not bad. spring shackles might need new bushings but not bad

Old 06-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Res731

I had a little play on my king pins, but after putting in new bushings and reaming them they feel pretty good.
Res731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
rocket1

It appears the spring shackle is sitting on the axle,when you get the front end apart and find a worn spot on the axle you will need to have the spring rearched or replace the spring.I would rather keep the present spring,grind the ridges off the leaves and undercut the tips slightly.On some off the aftermarket springs they are shipped with just a keeper bolt and they want you to grind the upper leaf on a taper to fit in the spring channel.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
It appears the spring shackle is sitting on the axle,when you get the front end apart and find a worn spot on the axle you will need to have the spring rearched or replace the spring.I would rather keep the present spring,grind the ridges off the leaves and undercut the tips slightly.On some off the aftermarket springs they are shipped with just a keeper bolt and they want you to grind the upper leaf on a taper to fit in the spring channel.
its a trick of the way the picture is taken. spring isn't sitting on axle.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
100IH

Shackles should be way clear of the axle, especially with no car and engine weight on the axle. With a good spring and bushings the shackle will try to almost parallel to the ground if supported on the frame and the axle assy. hanging. Set the car down and the shackle will be at 45 deg, roughly. Re arching springs is a short term fix soon to go flat again.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Mulletwagon

If king pin bushings are a little loose, now would be a great time to change them out and be done with it. Since the stop bolt has to be pulled it is a simple matter to pull the king pins up. Just went through bushing drill and discovered my king pins were also worn. Got the king pin/bushing set from Snyder's and it fit perfect - zero play afterward. Bad news is you will need a reamer to finish cut the bushings.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
If king pin bushings are a little loose, now would be a great time to change them out and be done with it. Since the stop bolt has to be pulled it is a simple matter to pull the king pins up. Just went through bushing drill and discovered my king pins were also worn. Got the king pin/bushing set from Snyder's and it fit perfect - zero play afterward. Bad news is you will need a reamer to finish cut the bushings.
I haven't found a reamer that will go through both bushings so I take mine to a machine shop to have honed and get a much better fit.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Shackles should be way clear of the axle, especially with no car and engine weight on the axle. With a good spring and bushings the shackle will try to almost parallel to the ground if supported on the frame and the axle assy. hanging. Set the car down and the shackle will be at 45 deg, roughly. Re arching springs is a short term fix soon to go flat again.
the car and engine weight are on it in the picture the jackstands are under the axle.