Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
gtdohn

Default T 170Ft RTS conversion

I have a bone stock 1941 Ford 1/2 ton pickup , flathead V8 and a floor shifted 3 speed, 3:78 gears in back, and I want to install the T 170FT RTS transmission to make it more user friendly. Has anyone here done this swap with this particular vehicle?
I would love to not only get some pointers on everything involved, but would love to hear some opinions on the end result.
I just don't enjoy driving it the way it is, but absolutely love the truck.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
gtdohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: T 170Ft RTS conversion

What don't you enjoy about driving it? There may be an easier, less expensive solution that would maintain the value of the truck. Have you driven or ridden in any other vehicles with the same drive train? It might prove valuable to you if you put your general location in your profile. Welcome to fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #3
gtdohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
What don't you enjoy about driving it? There may be an easier, less expensive solution that would maintain the value of the truck. Have you driven or ridden in any other vehicles with the same drive train? It might prove valuable to you if you put your general location in your profile. Welcome to fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens
Thank you Charlie.
I think there are two reasons for wanting to change the transmission. One is the lack of synchronized gears. Nothing like rolling up to a stop sign a little too quick and you can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd to help slow you down. Even going from 1st to 2nd can be frustrating when it grinds no matter how careful you are. The second thing is that tooling down the road at 45 or 50, the thing is screaming like it desperately needs another gear to relax into.
My flathead is so noisy anyway, and when you get it revving that high, it's unpleasant.
It would just be so nice to put a synchronized transmission in it with a nice relaxed 4th gear. The noisy motor is probably for another thread. I also have a throttle return spring that makes the gas pedal do all or nothing trying to accelerate smoothly. Never is smooth.
I'm just learning about these older vehicles and this site will be a great help, I'm sure.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

The transmission should not grind gears going up or down in either second or third, and it may have a heavy truck fan that makes a lot of noise
Many times proper restoration eliminates the "need" for modification
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
rotorwrench

2nd & high are synchronized. Low & reverse are unsynchronized. The rear axle should be a 3.78:1 ratio or there abouts but stump puller ratios were available. It sounds like the old 3-speed it tired and in need of work. The rear axle tooth count is usually stamped into the snout of the banjo housing on the rear axle assembly.

There are several sources for T170 conversions. It requires changes to the rear of the housing and main shaft to install with a torque tube plus the shaft & tube usually have to be shortened.

The Tremec T170 RTS transmissions are getting harder to source as time goes by. The 6-cylinder overdrive ratios are a pretty steep drop. The V8 ones are preferable but they are also getting harder to find. These units were used from 1985 through early 1987 on F150 & Bronco in both 2WD and 4WD types and all were manufactured at a plant down in Mexico. Soft parts are available but gears are not so a person has to get a good one or purchase from someone who will guarantee the condition.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
flatjack9

I have one that was modified to fit in the stock Ford driveline. The driveshaft and torque tube will have to be shortened about 2 3/4". It's going in my friends 39 DeLuxe 2 door.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
Ggmac

It sounds as if some trans or trans and clutch repair or adjustments are going to be the better and less expensive solution . A friend just had one converted and had almost $3600 into the conversion . After all that , it still doesn't meet his expectations. No one ever drove him in a properly set up 3 spd .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
gtdohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
It sounds as if some trans or trans and clutch repair or adjustments are going to be the better and less expensive solution . A friend just had one converted and had almost $3600 into the conversion . After all that , it still doesn't meet his expectations. No one ever drove him in a properly set up 3 spd .
Let me ask..........In a properly set up 3 speed, would or should I be able to down shift from 3rd to 2nd while rolling up to a stop sign doing about 30 mph?
Also, why does it grind sometimes going from 1st to second? Heck, sometimes it grinds going into 1st at a dead stop.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

3rd to 2nd yes, they have syncros, 2nd to 1st does not.

"why does it grind sometimes going from 1st to second? Heck, sometimes it grinds going into 1st at a dead stop."

Sounds like the transmission is due a rebuild.

Last edited by JSeery; 04-24-2019 at 09:01 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
mrtexas

1st is non synchro so it could grind at dead stop but not likely. Shouldn't grind from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to third. Might need new syncros
Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
My friend paid $2200 for his converted transmission.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #12
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
My friend paid $2200 for his converted transmission.
That is a deal. Lots of machining to do.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #13
gtdohn

I may consider having my transmission rebuilt knowing now that it should be operating a lot better than it is. I was under the impression that it was as good as it was going to get.
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I love this site
Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #14
clo

I’ve been wanting to due this conversion in my 34 coupe but can’t find one for sale.
clo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #15
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdohn View Post
Let me ask..........In a properly set up 3 speed, would or should I be able to down shift from 3rd to 2nd while rolling up to a stop sign doing about 30 mph?
Hi Everyone. gtdohn, I've driven my '35 with a freshly rebuilt trans about 20 of the last 30 days. Firstly, you need to slow when you go from gear to gear, it will not work like any stick shift that is not eighty years old. New trans go easily and quickly from gear to gear. Not the one you are trying to become friendly with right now... Secondly, I usually don't downshift unless the engine is lugging so badly it will stall. At 20 I only need second if there is a serious hill after the turn. My suspension prevents 90 degree turns at 30.

To try to sum it up in a helpful way, slow your shifts to include coming out of gear, pausing in neutral, and then gently going into gear. I have good luck short-shifting rather than trying to shift at higher RPM's.

Any worn tranny parts will prevent even an expert from doing gear changes without clashing.

Hoping to help.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #16
gtdohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everyone. gtdohn, I've driven my '35 with a freshly rebuilt trans about 20 of the last 30 days. Firstly, you need to slow when you go from gear to gear, it will not work like any stick shift that is not eighty years old. New trans go easily and quickly from gear to gear. Not the one you are trying to become friendly with right now... Secondly, I usually don't downshift unless the engine is lugging so badly it will stall. At 20 I only need second if there is a serious hill after the turn. My suspension prevents 90 degree turns at 30.

To try to sum it up in a helpful way, slow your shifts to include coming out of gear, pausing in neutral, and then gently going into gear. I have good luck short-shifting rather than trying to shift at higher RPM's.

Any worn tranny parts will prevent even an expert from doing gear changes without clashing.

Hoping to help.

Not only did your advise help, but it was very refreshing the way you put it.

Thank you Sir.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Contact a local chapter of the Early Ford V8 Club and see if you can get a ride in (or maybe drive) a vehicle about the year of your truck. The cars and trucks used the same basic transmission (trucks went to open drive somewhere about that time). I think what you find will save you a lot of time and money. While you have their attention ask if there is anyone local that is good at rebuilding transmissions. Also post that question here. When you find someone be sure to check them out in the archives (here and on HAMB).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #18
flatford8

I can’t think of a reason why I’d downshift while coming to a stop at 30MPH, unless I had a real bad issue with the brakes. Like was said above, shift earlier and make your movements more relaxed. If you have in neutral sitting at a light, put in 2nd before 1st. It should go in without grinding.
The advice on finding an EFV8 club member to talk to is spot on. I’ve found if you show an interest in their vehicle and the desire to make yours operate right, ( like theirs does) people are more than willing to help you......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdohn View Post
I may consider having my transmission rebuilt knowing now that it should be operating a lot better than it is. I was under the impression that it was as good as it was going to get.
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I love this site
If you are interested in rebuild information might check with VanPelt. He has a lot of information (including a rebuild manual) and the parts. There are also other sources.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...sID_3speed.htm
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #20
gtdohn

All great advise and information.

Thank you