Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
BigDan

Default Oil Filter canister on 59A

Has anyone installed the oil filter canister and lines on an 59A engine? My car doesn't have an oil filter. I'm thinking about installing one and would like any advice and suggestions before I start. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
Glenn Thoreson

Default Re: Oil Filter canister on 59A

Not to get involved in a bunch of back and forth nonsense over filters, but you should install one. The original filter setup is fine. It mounts using the top 3 rear left head bolts, where they form a V pattern. (make sense?). If you need a filter cannister, I have several nice ones. If you need one let me know. You must use a restrictor fittng at the cannister inlet to prevent loss of oil pressure. You can make that yourself. There are two oil supply holes in back of the left cylinder bank. One for the pressure sender, the other is plugged with a 1/4" pipe plug. That's the one to use for your filter. The filter cartridge for these is a Fram C-4 or equivalent.
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
cas3

Default Re: Oil Filter canister on 59A

not a big deal. you need three head nuts for the mount to the head. these nuts have a step in them that centers the holes in the filter base. the input is already on your block, near the oil sender, and if its your lucky day there is already a return fitting either on the pan, or on the dip stick boss. assuming you have a real ford canister, it will have a .060 restrictor in the fitting on the input, high line. if no return on the pan there are other methods. check your pan first. glen types faster!

Last edited by cas3; 01-28-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote