Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
Viv W

Default 1935/6 phaeton windscreen pillar and brackets

Hi All,
I'm building my 35 phaeton from a pile of parts and have been busy fitting the cowl wood and windscreen. After much cursing I have come to realize that I have 2 different windshield stanchions.( and of course I have had both rechromed.)
The left side is 1935 and the right is a 1936. Not only are the mounting points for the wind wing brackets different, but where the pillar bolts to the inner body bracket there is a substantial difference. The 36 has a larger base casting, so when you bolt it down the stanchion sits about 8mm above the cowl.
Can anyone tell me please, if the inner cowl brackets that the stanchions bolt to are the same in 1935 and 36 or are they also different?
I'm tempted to grind off the bottom of the 36 stanchion, but I'm not sure that this will solve my problem. Is there anyone out there that would like to trade me a 1935 right side stanchion for a 36? Or does anyone have a right side to sell?
Many thanks
Regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1935/6 phaeton windscreen pillar and brackets

The bracket under the cowl that the stanchion bolts to are the same for 35 and 36.I had a 35 roadster and used 36 stanchions.Fit was perfect.They are getting very hard to find.There was or is a pair of rough 35's on EBAY not to long ago.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
35ragtop

Hi Viv,
As has been written in many other threads, all sorts of parts were mixed and matched on cars built outside of the USA. My 35 Phaeton was a basket case when I got her in 1983 but the windscreen stanchions were intact and were 1936 style. It was a Dec 1935 build. Now as deuce lover has so rightly pointed out ,the mounts are identical for both years. I purchased a set of 35 stanchions and tried them on the mounts and they fitted perfectly.
So something else is going on in your case.
Maybe a photo would let us help you.
Dave h
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
DavidG

We've tried to clarify this before on this forum, but some things need to be repeated before they stick to the wall. There is no such animal as a '36 windshield post, wind wing brackets and matching wind wing glass, but there are two '35 versions of those components. If you have a '36 body parts catalogue, you will note that those components do not have the '36 "68" part number prefix, but rather have a "48" or '35 part number prefix plus a "B" suffix. The "B" suffix parts were released during the '35 model year and late '35 phaetons and roadsters came equipped with those parts. This has been confirmed in Ford's engineering records at the Benson Ford Research Center in Dearborn. I had two late '35 phaetons which were so equipped and it sounds like 35ragtop had one too.

As for fit, they are interchangeable as stated above.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Karl Wescott

Check the depth of the mounting bracket from the outside of the body... should be the same on both sides. The problem might be in the wood rather than in the post.

We do make repro posts in bronze for both the 1935 and 1936.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Don Rogers

To elaborate on David G's comments, I found the following Engineering releases documenting the design changes to the 35 Stanchions. The releases are dated April 1935 and the instructions say "At Once" The 2nd and 3rd printings of The 1935-36 Ford Book reflect this evolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanchion-A.jpg (105.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Stanchion-B.jpg (95.7 KB, 32 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #7
Viv W

Hi all,
thanks for the replies and advice, I have checked the depth from the top of the cowl to the inner bracket on both sides, they are the same, the inner brackets can not be moved up or down as they are secured in place by the top door hinge bolts. I shall spend more time this weekend checking it all over again.
Thanks for the advice it is appreciated.
Best regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote