Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
cold queso

Default Re: Update on my 1950 F-1

I used a Ford Ranger bench seat in my 51 F1 Worked great.
cold queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
FordCustom

Default Re: Update on my 1950 F-1

Man I REALLY need to find a welding supply that is open on Saturday! I have all these projects to do, and don't want to lose a day of work plus 5 hours overtime as well just to get a bottle refill. My hours start at 45 a week, so it's a usual thing. My bottle has been empty for a while now. I also need some light gauge wire to do outer bodywork.

I was recommended by a designer who I happen to ride with on Sunday mornings, that any chop should generally be a 3:1 chop to sectioning ratio to keep proportions. While I don't completely agree with that, I have noticed that some models of trucks, even other brands as well, start to take on a bit of a "bulbous" look when chopped too much without sectioning, made worse if the fenders are kept. I am mainly thinking 5 inches or more. Yes, there are people that make mail slot windowed trucks, and I wince thinking how the heck do they drive it? I'd love to try and add 3-4 inches in cab depth to it, as long as I am chopping the top off of it? That would turn the bolt upright seatback, into a more of a dining room chair angle.

I might add another inch and make it three, but I am 6'1" after all. With the backs of those buckets against the wall of the cab, with no gas tank, I am right in my comfort zone, seat back angle not included. I am going to have to lower the seats about two inches, and that will help to resolve the "gut to steering wheel" clearance. I am almost to the duck down to look out the window height, which is one of my peeves.

Last edited by FordCustom; 11-14-2014 at 10:52 PM.
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)