Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
FordCustom

Default Should a thermostat "slide around".

Just got through installing one of the Speedway aluminum water necks on my 8BA, and the thermostat is able to slide around an 1/8 inch or possibly more with the housing fully tightened? Should I have "glued" them to the water necks with gasket shellac first? Honestly I have never checked for this on any water neck I've ever installed, since they're usually perfectly horizontal on "most" engines. I was trying to keep it out of the gasket area, since it is possible on this engine to have the stat slide down between the neck and intake/head etc.

Should I be worried, or just carry on?
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Should a thermostat "slide around".

Normal clearance for the 2.125"dia thermostat is around .020-.050
Should not make any difference, it will just settle to the bottom and stay there.

Biggest concern is not having the thermostat in place before tightening with the result being bent housing ears.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
FordCustom

Well, both thermostats are moving around a little. I would imagine that as long as it's not pinched in the housing flange, and is blocking 99.9% of the water moving through when closed, it should be fine eh? The polished aluminum housings also look AMAZING on the engine, I can't lie about that. My pipes will hopefully show up in a few days, and I can fill it and test for leaks, proper flow when opened, etc.

Then I will move on to other things, like a fuel system, brakes, etc.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
G.M.

Sounds like you have the wrong stats. G.M.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
ford3

I think GM is right, all the thermostats I have installed fit in the pocket snug, no movement, measure the od of the pocket then go to your parts store and have them give you the right ones, the ones that fit the thermo pocket
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Old Henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm curious what thermostat you're using. If it's a stock one you might want to consider a Robertshaw full flow thermostat available here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/br...rfIghlo3vD_BwE (and other places)

Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
FordCustom

These are the ones I have. Why would they sell the wrong thermostats, and give 49-53 as the application? They have the same mounting description on both of their thermostats, even though they are obviously different. Not sure why.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1949-1...stat,7311.html

Last edited by FordCustom; 05-30-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
FordCustom

I did notice that the ID of the gasket was slightly larger than the OD of the thermostat? Most one's I've ever seen, the opposite is the case. The thermostat fits into a recess on the housing, and the ID of the gasket "traps" the thermostat against the housing. On this housing, you can stick the gasket to the housing with sealant, and then the thermostat can be put in or taken out with the gasket in place. Is the gasket wrong? The extra thickness of the gasket in the area of the thermostat edge, would definitely hold the thermostat snugly in place. The gasket seems to only seal on the outside 1/4 of the housing.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
FordCustom

Here is the gasket. Looks a little large to me on the inner diameter, am I right?

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/...015852~2_L.jpg
Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I'm curious what thermostat you're using. If it's a stock one you might want to consider a Robertshaw full flow thermostat available here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/br...rfIghlo3vD_BwE (and other places)

These are NOT Robertshaw thermostats. They are supposedly copies made out of the country. The Robertshaw stats are ALL copper and brass. Bob Shewman 1-610-933-6637 or [email protected] has the correct original
330-180 Robertshaw stats. G.M.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
scooder

That full flow stat in the pick. I just fitted a fully brass one in a Studebaker pickup I'm doing a bit on For a chap. It was a new old stock one in the box, can't remember the name on the box, but recall it was made in Knoxville Tennessee. It was a late '50's part. I'll shout when I remember the brand. He kept the box cus its cool.
It surprised me seeing it, with all the talk, I had assumed this Robert Shaw invunt them?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote