Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
FordCustom

Question Has anyone used this loom?

This stuff looks amazing. I saw it on their ebay store, since the website is confusing to say the least. I bought my motor mounts from them, and they shipped very quickly. Anyways, on their ebay store I see this wire loom, and aside from being an incorrect color it looks to be top quality at least. The ebay ad has a sample of how to install it. I was thinking about using this on the whole truck.

But, has anyone used it? Does it hold up to under hood abuse? Does it fray over time? I suppose I could get one pkg to start, and be a guinea pig. It would be kinda sweet having my wiring match the motor.

http://www.vintageford.com/global_se...0hot&Category=
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
funrunr

Default Re: Has anyone used this loom?

Have you tried Tyrees Harris? I've been told he makes them for some of our suppliers.
I have bought from him in the past and he was a great person to deal with and quality wiring too.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
FordCustom

I did a search and all I could find was a reference to an $800 wiring harness. Not exactly in my budget. I was asking about the loom only, the harness I will have to find through my own research.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
TJ

It depends on what you are doing with your car. If you are restoring it then you should use an original style harness. if your car is modified and you don't need an original harness there are many harnesses that are cheaper and easier to use than the one from Sacramento Vintage. Check the harness from Kwik Wire. They are American made and you can get one for about $200-225. Another one is Rebel Wire, which are also American made and a little cheaper than Kwik Wire.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
waterboychuck

I bought a harness from Sacramento Vintage for my 48 F1. The instructions were simple to read and the quality is very good. I had a couple of changes as my truck is 12V negative ground and has a different motor in it but everything worked out great.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Ken Crans

im with Chuck i'm using Sacrementos very well made,fits right and available for newer V8s or Flattys. Y
ou get what you pay for. JMO
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
FordCustom

I found an original repro harness for $400+, which seemed kind of excessive given the simplicity of it. I am going to be running some more accessories, and converting to 12v, turn signals, etc. If it was a truck to not be driven much I would go all original. Mostly I want something that DOES NOT look like a modern street rod AT ALL. Original look as much as possible, but 12 volt and a few modern conveniences.

It is funny though, the original repro harness seller down talked EVERYone else's products. I should have expected as much.

Thanks Ken and Chuck. That's the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
russcc

I always steer clear of a vendor who put down other vendors. Let the value of their product do the selling. I would go bythe recommendations of the Fordbarner's. I met Tyree Harris at Hershey, and have seen their products. They have been around a long time, and are well thought of.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote