Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #21
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Default Re: 1939 Ford Coupe Internal Framing Question

I have a couple of original USA barn find '39 coupes in my shed with a pile of stuff stacked on, around, and inside them.
I seem to remember the vertical cardboard or masonite partition that goes across behind the the seat is divided into 2 pieces of equal width rather than 1 continous section. Wooden uprights clamp them together.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
39 STD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
I seem to remember the vertical cardboard or masonite partition that goes across behind the the seat is divided into 2 pieces of equal width rather than 1 continous section. Wooden uprights clamp them together.
Chris.NZ.
You are correct. 2 cardboard pieces, same paper material the door panels are made of, is the way they are suppost to be.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
joel

Here are some additional pics of the damaged area in your car. Note the horizontal brace from the seam ( roof to quarter) to the center brace under the windows. Notice how it twists fro about verticle to a 40 deg at the roof seam. The last pic is the verticle under the quarter window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_DSCF0858.jpg (58.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg m_DSCF0859.jpg (54.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg m_DSCF0860.jpg (55.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg m_DSCF0861.jpg (70.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg m_DSCF0862.jpg (37.9 KB, 132 views)
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
39 STD

joel, that's it, thumbs up.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
biggeorge

Thanks for the pictures. I'm also trying to save a coupe that was used as a parts car years ago
biggeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #26
FatFndr

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
Here are some additional pics of the damaged area in your car. Note the horizontal brace from the seam ( roof to quarter) to the center brace under the windows. Notice how it twists fro about verticle to a 40 deg at the roof seam. The last pic is the vertical under the quarter window.
Just a quick question - the vertical brace from the back of the tool tray to the floor - did you have the original (mine has been cut out as well as the brace from the trunk to the back of the tool tray on the drivers side) make your own (how?) or buy aftermarket (where?)?

Last edited by FatFndr; 09-13-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: add information for clarity
FatFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
joel

Mine is original, and with one possible exception, it is not available. Carpenter ( formally Drake) needs all these pieces to produce the new 40 coupe and I saw an add saying that Real deal Steele has the body available for purchase. maybe contacting them or Carpenter could produce the parts you need. If you want to try to make one, pm me and with some pics and measurements we can get the info you need.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
FatFndr

I am moving along OK but I ran into a problem beyond what I think I can fix. A brace going from the passenger side to the package tray needs welded due to a crack - BUT - it looks like a severe stress crack. It looks like it has collapsed and I'm not sure if I should just weld up the crack and move on (the fender/trunk lid fitment is OK) or if I should take a chance on trying to straighten out the bracing and throwing a bunch of stuff out of alignment. What are my options?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-19_13-04-54_123.jpg (43.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-19_13-03-57_850.jpg (58.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-19_13-58-40_36.jpg (48.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-19_14-01-45_574.jpg (54.6 KB, 73 views)
FatFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
Bruce/Texas

My 39 standard coupe had the exact same problem. I welded it up about 30 years ago and have had no problems with it since.
Bruce/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #30
OldDad

On my '40, that brace was torn off just above the inner fender on one side. I had to drill out the spot welds and replace the whole thing with the bracing from another body. Just welded it in, and have had no problems with it either. I think you could straighten that out a bit and weld it up, perhaps reinforcing it with a plate if the originality isn't too much of a problem. Originality is great, but in a case like this, I vote for strength over originality!
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
1940 Gal

Great pictures. Haven't been able to get good pictures of the installation of the fabric that goes between the back seat and the package tray. My question is what did you do with the extra fabric that shows in picture 7? Do you tuck it in or what. Thanks for your info. 1940 Gal
1940 Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940 Gal View Post
Great pictures. Haven't been able to get good pictures of the installation of the fabric that goes between the back seat and the package tray. My question is what did you do with the extra fabric that shows in picture 7? Do you tuck it in or what. Thanks for your info. 1940 Gal
That "extra" fabric gets folded over the vertical piece of wood behind the seat and forward of the package tray. Then, you install a trim piece of cardboard with brown button head nails.
I have attached a few photos that may help. If you want others, I am currently doing two more coupes. Let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0221.jpg (29.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8599.jpg (44.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9350.jpg (43.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 114.JPG (81.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
And a few more of what my package tray looks like. I bought this kit from LeBaron Bonney. However, I distinctly remember that when I bought the car from the original owner it had the original interior in it and the package tray was covered with the same material as the original headliner. I was surprised with the LeBaron Bonney vinyl. I know my 40 is an early production car, so maybe it used the left over OEM 39 package shelf material. For some reason, the vinyl, just doesn't seem correct to me -although LB is suppose to "know their stuff." But I installed their entire interior and upholstery kit in 1988 and have lived with it. I still have some headliner material. Maybe i'll redo it someday.
As you have figured out, that material LB sells is the wrong stuff. I have spoken to them about this. They claim it's the best they can offer as the authentic material had a pebble grain finish to it.
They are partly correct.
The package tray was covered in pretty much the same material the sides of your trunk were. Different color of course, it was meant to match the headliner (color) but the texture was identical.
Also, the finish washers and screws back there were S15, an oxidized finish. That kind of appears like what we often see nowadays referred to as "antique bronze".

When restoring a coupe with a fabric interior, I purchase matching (the trim piece they include for the vertical piece directly behind the seat) cardboard from LB in large sheets. I produced rollers years ago that press the grain pattern in to the board. Lots of effort but to me worth it.