Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Calling ALL ingnition and or electriacl experts

SO......
Here is my task at hand for the latest project....1941 Ford GP......First....Let me preface this by saying.....IT IS NOT 100% stock set up for it BUT for many it is the only option for this vehicle to "EVER" run....Fortunately, I have the correct distributor in the works BUT I still want to get this running until it is completely rebuilt, set up and ready to go/install......In the mean time what I have now "WILL" work "IF" properly done and hooked up correctly.
The "fellow" who originally set this up has wired TWO, yes TWO coils together (See above pictures)....WHY, I cannot answer that....BUT they are wired in what i would call in "series" ie same post to same post. I don't know for sure but I also think that he hooked up the battery opposite of what "should" be correct and then tried to start it!!! SO.....The 2nd distributor with coil mounted to it is a 9N distributor (OR 8N which ever one came first, I think the 9 came before the 8) ANYWAY here are my questions:
1. IS there any reason I couldn't unhook the wire at the first coil and just connect the two eyes together and tape that over for protection purposes and expect the second coil to work as it should???
2. What possible issues SHOULD I check to make sure that all other components are working as they should OR haven't been damaged??
3. IF need be does anyone know or had Skip do a 9N coil???
4. ANY Other advice or suggestions???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPCoil1.jpg (45.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg GPCoil2.jpg (36.9 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 02-25-2021 at 08:57 AM.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: Calling ALL ingnition and or electriacl experts

Your pictures are really not definitive but it looks like the coil on the left is not hooked in series but is just used as a junction point for the hot line to the second coil.
Probably just used as a backup if the primary (in use) coil goes bad.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

On the 9N & 8N, the number indicates the first year of production, 39 & 48. The early 8Ns had the front mounted distributor then they switched to the side style, something like the 8ba.

Why not just get a 6v "can" style coil and get rid of this set up. They don't cost that much.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-25-2021 at 10:00 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
For starters, a 9N/8N distributor is for a 4 cylinder engine, not an 8. On the 9N & 8N, the number indicates the first year of production, 39 & 48. The early 8Ns had the front mounted distributor then they switched to the side style, something like the 8ba. Most likely yes.

Why not just get a 6v "can" style coil and get rid of this set up. They don't cost that much.
The engine is a 9N tractor motor SO is there an adapter that will allow you to use such on a 9N Distributor??
Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Your pictures are really not definitive but it looks like the coil on the left is not hooked in series but is just used as a junction point for the hot line to the second coil.
Probably just used as a backup if the primary (in use) coil goes bad.
Yes, you are correct about being used as a junction point.....The one on the firewall is "technically" the correct type of coil BUT seeing as how we are "forced" to use the 9N tractor distributor and that coil mounts on top....YOU don't see any "ISSUE" with how its wired now????
Old 02-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Zeke3

Rockfla, let me preface my remarks by saying that I don't consider myself neither an ignition nor an electrical expert.

However, it looks to me that the previous owner was using the 1st coil as a terminal junction, most likely because of the location and wire length in the wire harness. So it wouldn't be any different electrically if you disconnect those two terminals from the coil and connect them together. The first coil isn't doing anything because there is nothing connected to the "dist" terminal to open and close the circuit to make it produce a spark.

I am not the familiar with the damage that may be caused due to hooking the battery up backwards and trying to start the engine. If it had an alternator, I would expect it to have fried some diodes or something. If it is a generator system, you might try polarizing the generator before attempting to start the engine, in case it got confused with the battery hooked up incorrectly. I would hook the battery up correctly, if you don't get a big arc when connecting the ground cable, and try cranking the engine.

I don't consider myself a tractor expert either, but the 9N=1939 first model and the 8N=1948 first model is the way I remember it.

Great looking GP.

Too slow, the other guys beat me to a response.

Last edited by Zeke3; 02-25-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Redundant response
Zeke3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Terry,OH

No issue as to how it is wired now, as temporary wiring, it should work. Can not speak as to the rest of the ignition circuit.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
rockfla

Cool, thanks guys for all the advice....at least now I have a plan of attack and will keep all posted!!!

AND thanks Zeke3 for the compliment on the GP eep!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 02-25-2021 at 10:59 AM.