Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Harbor Freight changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
The "brands" I'm talking about are HF brands created by them unless I'm mistaken. I have spent plenty with them over the years and don't really have any complaints until the recent changes, they are perhaps going to a different business model which is certainly their right. I do miss the old flyers though.
Got it. I understand now. I think their top tier brand is called Bauer or something like that.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #22
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
amazing, people bitch about the quality of H.F. tools and then when they upgrade to better tools, people bitch. "different batteries across 4 or 4 different brands" , well naturally
It's the American way! We all love to bitch about everything being made in China, but when it comes time to buy something we shop price at WallMart, or Amazon, or H F.

And we all want lots of services from our governments, then we bitch about taxes. We vote for the politician who promises great things and lower taxes, then complain when he can't deliver.

Its human nature, been that way forever in all societies. Now it's the American way.

Last edited by JayChicago; 02-02-2021 at 01:05 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #23
corvette8n

Here’s a coupon that doesn’t expire, I have it on my phone and they scan it from there, just used it about 2 months ago on a flex head ratchet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77419B28-3F95-4A80-8C15-8D946B1000A3.jpg (14.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by corvette8n; 02-02-2021 at 05:54 PM.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #24
frnkeore

I also noticed that my latest magazine, that came just last week, doesn't have a coupon.

Anyone else seeing that?
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #25
ronn

I spoke with the manager at the Syracuse HF and he said several months back that the coupons were being totally phased out. the tariffs we imposed shut down their economy 1 1/2 yrs ago and so now the prices are going up.
If the tariffs are dropped, which Im expecting- happy days may be here again........
and then we just pay the chinese differently.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #26
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
It's the American way! We all love to bitch about everything being made in China, but when it comes time to buy something we shop price at WallMart, or Amazon, or H F.

And we all want lots of services from our governments, then we bitch about taxes. We vote for the politician who promises great things and lower taxes, then complain when he can't deliver.

Its human nature, been that way forever in all societies. Now it's the American way.

JayChicago spoken for truth! It is human nature in most all societies!
Old 02-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #27
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
Now if you do get a 20% coupon, there's a list a page long of exclusions. It never seams to work on their good stuff.
A couple years ago I bought a floor jack and a couple dollar magnetic tray. I brought my 20% off coupon, the cashier said I couldn't use it on the jack. I had her scan it anyway, might as well save 20 cents on the dollar magnetic tray. She scans it and it takes 20% off the jack, even though the bottom said it wasn't good on the jack. I don't know if she even noticed, but I paid and went on my way!
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #28
OldGold360

Buy American!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #29
Mike34

[QUOTE=I found most "craftsman" tool to be very hard/uncomfortable on you hands UNLESS you have the "Professional" line of Craftsman and NOW I have a broken wrench and nowhere to get it replaced!!! [/QUOTE]

Where ever craftsman tools are sold, they can be replaced. I took a 20 year old socket and 3/8 adapter to Lowes and they replaced them for free.
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #30
CHuDWah

I don't know how Harbor Freight tools compare to "professional" stuff as I'm a hobbyist/DIYer, not a professional. H-F stuff is fine for my needs (and those little blue flashlights they gave away are handy, and BRIGHT ). I suspect the plague has affected Harbor Freight like it has everything else, both supply and demand. That may be part of the reason the prices have gone up and the coupons have gone away. Too bad they haven't implemented curb service like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. There's stuff I'd buy but since I'm 65+ with underlying medical conditions, I won't risk going in the store. Yes, I could have it shipped to me but the freight would cost more than the tool!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #31
Jeff/Illinois

The Ford garage I worked at in the 70's, the mechanics all used Mac and Snap on tools. They all told me Craftsman tools were good tools but were too 'bulky'.

The thing about companies wanting your e-mails and personal addresses from everything to retailers and gas stations is, the money today is made selling this info off to other parties. Marketing. Why when you look up a floor jack on Google all sorts of floor jack deals automatically start popping up on your computer. That is where the real $$ are. Selling you to others. 'Take this 'survey' for a chance to win a $50 free gas card from Phillips 66.., Take this McDonalds survey to get a free Quarterpounder if you buy another one.......' That 'free' repays the company a hundred times over.

There is no privacy. Someone is always looking over your shoulder and they want your personal info.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #32
3949tl

Interesting "takes" and opinions from everyone. Just to chime in: Yesterday I went to HF to purchase a box of 5mil 100 count Hardy nitrile gloves. First thing I noticed was that they were out of stock and there was a sign on the empty shelf stating that all their gloves had been donated to hospitals and clinics in response to their needs during the pandemic. Kudos to them!!! Now for the part I don't understand: The price for these gloves has increased from $6.95 to a whopping $17.95. I'm sure there is some kind of explanation to justify this situation but frankly, I'm not all ears. I light of how prices for EVERYTHING are skyrocketing and to help with my frustration, I am seeking counseling from either Dr.Frasier Crane or Dr.Sidney Freedman. Wish me luck.
3949tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=3949tl;1981360................ Yesterday I went to HF to purchase a box of 5mil 100 count Hardy nitrile gloves. .............: The price for these gloves has increased from $6.95 to a whopping $17.95. ................./QUOTE]

Lately I've just been washing my hands with these gloves still on, in GoJo, rinsing the gloves off and then hanging them up to dry. Works fine
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #34
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3949tl View Post
Interesting "takes" and opinions from everyone. Just to chime in: Yesterday I went to HF to purchase a box of 5mil 100 count Hardy nitrile gloves. First thing I noticed was that they were out of stock and there was a sign on the empty shelf stating that all their gloves had been donated to hospitals and clinics in response to their needs during the pandemic. Kudos to them!!! Now for the part I don't understand: The price for these gloves has increased from $6.95 to a whopping $17.95. I'm sure there is some kind of explanation to justify this situation but frankly, I'm not all ears. I light of how prices for EVERYTHING are skyrocketing and to help with my frustration, I am seeking counseling from either Dr.Frasier Crane or Dr.Sidney Freedman. Wish me luck.
If you donate items, why not increase their value so you can write off a much larger dollar value on taxes?
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote