Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: ANTIQUE ENGINE REBUILDING RODS vs SNYDERS

When I went to the San Diego meet last year I saw the rods from Antique Engine
Rebuilding...a nice, well finished rod. Also there was another company selling A rods
that used the hollow dowel method to locate the cap to the rod. Anybody know
who makes those rods?

Herm, you are right on about checking before and during assemble! As the engines
get older and some of the parts become inferior, I find my self checking things
that most people never look at/or thought to look at.

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
Dave in MN

I ordered a set of the Snyder Rods a few weeks ago. I have been studying them and have not installed them into an engine yet.
I spoke to Tom @ Snyders about the pin bushings not being fitted to the pistons they sell. He stated the bushings are rough bored but final fitting is to be completed by the purchaser. The stated reason: The bushings will fit almost any piston on the market if the final fitting is left to the engine shop. $125.00 is not abnormal as to a charge for the fitting. One needs to factor this cost when deciding which rod to purchase. Snyders makes the following statement on their website regarding Installation Instructions:

Fitting of Wrist Pins
Rods have the wrist pin bushing pressed in, oil holes drilled, and rough bored. You MUST hone the wrist pin bushings to match the wrist pins in your pistons. There is no way we can hone these bushings ahead of time due to variations in wrist pin diameters from one piston manufacturer to another. The clearance between the wrist pin should be .0005". If you do not have the ability to perform this task, we recommend taking your new rods along with your pistons and wrist pins to a local machine shop or motor rebuilder. Most modern motor rebuilders have equipment to perform this work.

This info is only offered in their Installation Instructions. You get these instructions with the rods or from their website.

Good Day!
Dave in MN

Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
henry1930ford

The Antique Engine Rebuilding rods that I have used all fit perfect as the piston manufactures have great precision in making a 1.0000 pin. The old practice was to pin fit rod last .002 or .003 as stated as if you were using worn pins. To have hone out .017 is past reasonable. Rebuilt rods for the V8 were pin fitted and aligned.
henry1930ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #24
Glenn Thoreson

There were 2 types of rods in common use back then. One was hinged and the other was what we see now. One of them was called a Marine style rod but my feeble old brain can't remember which one.
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #25
jetmek

People that think they’re gonna do it themselves when they have neither the skills or tools. What do you think the going hourly shop rate is? Ill bet you dont think twice about paying that to have your new lexus serviced. Sorryfor the rant. Really tho those rods could be used With worn pins , oversized pins. Who knows. Thats why they come un finished
Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
There were 2 types of rods in common use back then. One was hinged and the other was what we see now. One of them was called a Marine style rod but my feeble old brain can't remember which one.

Glenn, I'm not sure which time period you are speaking of when you say "back then". Hinged rods originated in steam era which was prior to Marine. Some brass-era automobile engines (Oakland being one) used a hinged rods in the pre-teens era. Below are some pics of a 1909 Oakland engine we rebuilt that uses hinged rods. The advantage was the clearances could be taken up using a port in the side of of the block as the crankcase was cast for rigidity. Today, a few manufacturers of extra large stationery engines still use a hinged rod, but they are basically obsolete technology.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00747r.jpg (109.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04725.jpg (107.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00748r.jpg (105.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00749r.jpg (110.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00750r.jpg (113.0 KB, 53 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmek View Post
People that think they’re gonna do it themselves when they have neither the skills or tools. What do you think the going hourly shop rate is? Ill bet you dont think twice about paying that to have your new lexus serviced. Sorryfor the rant. Really tho those rods could be used With worn pins , oversized pins. Who knows. Thats why they come un finished

You are correct.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #28
jetmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Glenn, I'm not sure which time period you are speaking of when you say "back then". Hinged rods originated in steam era which was prior to Marine. Some brass-era automobile engines (Oakland being one) used a hinged rods in the pre-teens era. Below are some pics of a 1909 Oakland engine we rebuilt that uses hinged rods. The advantage was the clearances could be taken up using a port in the side of of the block as the crankcase was cast for rigidity. Today, a few manufacturers of extra large stationery engines still use a hinged rod, but they are basically obsolete technology.

that sure is pretty 👍👍
Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #29
Jim Brierley

Same story on pistons, I never bore an engine unless I have the pistons in hand as some are more precision than others.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #30
rotorwrench

A lot of old threads have been coming back up lately. It must be cabin fever.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #31
CarlG

This one is only 8 years old !
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
A lot of old threads have been coming back up lately. It must be cabin fever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
This one is only 8 years old !

You know, for me it is sometimes fun to scroll through these old threads when they are 'brought back from the dead' just to see which Posters are still around making posts, ...and those that for whatever reason are no longer here.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #33
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

It really amazes me whenever I see an engine like that. Put yourself back in that time frame. How did they know what they knew to design, make, install and make everything to work properly.

They could not pick up a manual, could not get on the forum (WHAT), no online , no youtube, no nothing except some very smart people flying by the seat of their pants.

There had to be a few frustrating days scratching there heads saying huh, Duh, sh_t.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
It really amazes me whenever I see an engine like that. Put yourself back in that time frame. How did they know what they knew to design, make, install and make everything to work properly.

They could not pick up a manual, could not get on the forum (WHAT), no online , no youtube, no nothing except some very smart people flying by the seat of their pants.

There had to be a few frustrating days scratching there heads saying huh, Duh, sh_t.
I think in many ways, people back then were not afraid of failure like they are today.

Also, there were many books written on theory and design that were read around the turn of the century. Also, a trade or a craft was a revered asset in which an Apprentice was mentored by a Master Tradesman until the apprentice reached a Journeyman's skill level. The intent was to focus on a craft and excel at it. Because these craftsmen were raised to problem solve on their own, it was easier for them to advance technology as a whole.

Something that I have noticed in my own lifetime is how books or internet are read today. People today rarely read every word of a book or internet thread. Going back 100+ years ago, a book was often read and then re-read over & over until the reader had total comprehension of the topic. Today, if a topic on social media --or even Fordbarn is over 3-4 sentences in length, most readers will not take the time to read it all thoroughly, -much less comprehend that topic.

Adding to my first comment above, it used to be that people would try to figure something out on their own first ...and then when they became stumped, they would seek help. Today, folks are so afraid of failure they will literally spend hours up hours studying a video or website to prepare for a 30 minute task. IMHO, if they had tried to figure it out first, they likely would have been more productive with their time, and they would have advanced their problem solving skills at the same time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #35
ursus

Amen to what Brent said! Many a project stalls out or is never completed because of that very fear of failure.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote