Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Viv W

Default 1931 Phaeton with metallic paint??

Hi All,
I'm busy restoring a Canadian built 1931 Model A phaeton for a freind. It appears to be a very original car that was painted black at some time, but under the seats and in tucked away places it seems to have the original color, and on sanding back the black paint I'm finding what appears to be the same original color. My first thoughts were the car was originally maroon with a very purple hue to it, but I found some areas that still show shiny paint and it is more like plum crazy purple with a early thirties type metallic to add to the mix. Is it possible that Ford would have had metallic type paints as far back as 1931?
Regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Phil Brown

Default Re: 1931 Phaeton with metallic paint??

I have heard or its use as far back as 1927, but as far as I know Ford did not use it until sometime in the '70s. Not to say that the car could not have been repainted in late 31 or 1932 using a metallic paint that the owner liked the color of ?
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
quickchange

I knew of a very early roadster 1927 owned by Fred Louks I think, metallic light colour paint , someone will know more than me as was 40 years ago , He would have had it correct , was at a national meet I attended, he explained how it was done with fish scales ground up, may have been the only one , Lets see what comes up , Think we was in Canada 1st time I saw it , At NZ national meet in the deep south, perfect weather.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
Tudortomnz

There was iridescent paints available in the Model A era, as Quickchange mentions, using fish scales. These paints were used on some sporty cars like Jordan , Willys Knight etc.
Ford was not known to use any but the car could have been ordered special ; anything is possible. My humble late '29 Tudor had a cream colour band added over the side swage 2nd colour, sometimes done in NZ by the Dealer to help sell.
Cheers ; Tom in NZ.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
Viv W

Thanks guys, the owner has decided to paint the car all black, so problem solved
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote