Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
FordCustom

Default Can someone show me the column shifter assembly page from a 1950 F-1 shop manual?

I am wanting to powder coat or paint the column parts, but I want to break it down so the results look a little nicer. Am I opening a can of worms, or is it pretty simple to do? I know there's an inner and outer shaft, and I am sure the pieces are somehow keyed to react to movements of the shift lever, so I don't want to break or lose anything.

Can you help me out, please?
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
FordCustom

Default Re: Can someone show me the column shifter assembly page from a 1950 F-1 shop manual?

I think I just found it.. So you can just undo the clamp at the bottom, and the whole thing comes off, and just a pin and a spring at the top? That looks simple enough? That way painting will be simpler than I thought. Powder would require a total teardown, but painting no big deal. The inner shaft would get filled with sand and bits of rust if it was blasted.

The dash bracket I guess slides off with it? I am mainly concerned with the appearance of interior parts anyway, and the lower parts near the steering box can be a little uglier as long as they work. The dash bracket could be slid down by the bottom, and painted without removing it from the shifter tube.

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/sca...ift_column.jpg

Last edited by FordCustom; 07-12-2016 at 06:59 PM.
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Chris

Default Re: Can someone show me the column shifter assembly page from a 1950 F-1 shop manual?

I have a complete column tube from an F1 column shift pickup if anyone needs one. It is in very nice condition