Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
FordCustom

Default 50 F-1, column shifter replacement bushing install?

I've got the column rebuild kit in the cart, and waiting on the box and a few other things, since I would rather not wait a month possibly to put everything back together, and possibly lose parts, etc. I have heard now, that the brass parts have to be sweged or swaged, or however it's spelled depending on where you live. Anyways, I know exactly what this means, but what tool is used for this? I also read the brass collar side should be annealed because it may split instead of doing what it's supposed to. Finding someone with a torch isn't an issue, but these don't have to be hot to form them right? They just need the molecules rearranged a bit so they soften up some.

Is the tool like a punch with a flared edge, or is it like a pair of pliers. Never had to swage anything before...
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #2
scooder

Default Re: 50 F-1, column shifter replacement bushing install?

Annealing the brass is to heat it up and then dump it straight into cold water. Sounds wrong but is correct for brass.
I used a former from a pipe flaring tool to swedge the fitting.
Not a nice job to be honest, these modern replacement parts arnt the same as the old ones. I'm pretty sure the original brass parts were spin formed, the new ain't. New ones tend to split real easy, almost like it's a machined up from cast part. Not sure if this is correct for all the reproduction ones, but the ones I've done were not nice.
Be nice to get some NOS ones to compare.
Good luck,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
FordCustom

Default Re: 50 F-1, column shifter replacement bushing install?

I wouldn't be against nylon ones to tell the truth. If anyone makes any? Mine aren't falling apart, but I imagine they will start once they're used again for a few months.
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote