Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
FordCustom

Default Steering box removal. 50 F-1

I am just about ready to accomplish pulling the box from my 1950 F-1. I know it has to be pretty high off of the ground to do this, but can anyone say how high? I am wondering if an engine hoist can be used for this? Lift it up with a strap around the frame, block the wheels up somehow, then set it back down? I don't want to get most of the way through pulling it, then find out I can't get it high enough? If it's more than two feet at the roof, I will need to roll it out in the open, because it's under a fairly low carport. I might could get it to the point of dropping, then hoist the truck. Links to previous threads with pictures would help, if you know of any.

Also procedure suggestions would help too? Obviously the steering wheel and horn wire need to be removed, but are there any special tools or sequence of steps I should be prepared for?
FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
FordCustom

Default Re: Steering box removal. 50 F-1

I have nothing but the radiator support and radiator attached to the frame at the moment. I can drop the spring eye bolts, and roll the axle out if it will help.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
bo8109b

For what it's worth, I recently removed steering boxes in a '48 Ford tudor and a '48 Mercury convert and had the wheels 6" off the ground, axel on jack stands. For clearance had to disconnect left ends of drag link and tie rod.
bo8109b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
FordCustom

I looked at a few interior shots, and it seems the column is at a slightly less vertical angle on the cars. A definite help though. Maybe it doesn't have to be as high as I was thinking? I think I might go buy a couple of 2x12's or 2x10's, and make some lifting blocks for the front wheels. Maybe a foot or so high, with chocks built in, to keep it from rolling off if I have to get physical with it.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustom View Post
I looked at a few interior shots, and it seems the column is at a slightly less vertical angle on the cars. A definite help though. Maybe it doesn't have to be as high as I was thinking? I think I might go buy a couple of 2x12's or 2x10's, and make some lifting blocks for the front wheels. Maybe a foot or so high, with chocks built in, to keep it from rolling off if I have to get physical with it.
If you don't want to spend the time building them, just use the drive-on car ramps. I do not like driving up on the things, but often use them to set the wheels on after I jack them up.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
FordCustom

Would that be high enough though?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

About a foot.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
FordCustom

I guess I could make some shock mount locks if need be? that would gain several inches actually? It would lock the axle at fully relaxed spring position, making it that much taller on the wheels. I don't like getting under a vehicle even on jackstands sometimes.