Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #21
Ralph Moore

Default Re: N.O.S. Engine

There's a NOS flathead six on Epay right now, pretty reasonable starting price considering.
I know it's not a V8, but a lot of Fords came with sixes.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #22
Bored&Stroked

My story is 'close' to NOS. The 42 Merc engine that I bought last year was shipped overseas in WWII, probably ran next to no time, put back in a crate a shipped home. It is STD bore and shows absolutely no wear in it - probably ran a few hours and that was about it.

The guy I bought it from (last year) had bought some in the original WWII crates - all assembled. It was a 'war engine' - had dual belt water pumps, dual crank pulley, etc.. Also, it has a special oiling system - where there are two ports on the bell-housing . . . and a special brass fitting that forced the oil out of the main pump galley, out of the block, to a filter/cooler, then back into the block.

Anyway, this 1942 'keystone' Merc block/engine is a real find for me! I only wish he had a bunch of them, would be really cool to have/sell to folks who need them. I've been into flatheads for many years . . . always wanted to find a raised intake surface Merc keystone block - just never acquired one in the last 35 years until now. (They are pre-59 series . . . only 41 and 42 vintage - probably not too many made).

This is the motor that is the basis for the 'FlatCab' that I'm building -> 1932 Cabriolet, built as a pre-War hotrod . . . hence the 1942 Merc engine.

If anybody needs details about some of these engines, just ping me . .

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #23
meric42

I have a NOS 99A block still in the WWII packing crate. Here is a picture of it on top of the crate all dressed up at a local show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z 10 50th 12 sm.jpg (64.4 KB, 72 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
beerayb

I would still like to hear opinions on whether this collection should be assembled, or displayed in parts. I have. no car to put this engine in should I decide to build it. I don't need a running engine as I'm building a midget engine should I want to hear a V-8 60 run. Thanks for all the responses. Ray
beerayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerayb View Post
I have gathered every single part to assemble a one of a kind replacement V-8 60. I have everything NOS from the large logo Stromberg 81 to the one of a kind prototype Ford aluminum oil pan. I also have the highly desirable yellow striped rods, aluminum timing gear, aluminum oil pump gear, 10 tooth high volume oil pump gears, .and aluminum heads. The block is a replacement block, it is sleeved and has hardened valve seats on both intake and exhaust. My main concern is should this rare of an engine be assembled, or made into a display for future generations to enjoy. It will only be a virgin once. But it is not really an engine until it has been assembled, it's just a pile of parts. What do you guys think I should do with it?
Think you answered your question, "it is not really an engine until it has been assembled, it's just a pile of parts"
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #26
Jack E/NJ

Joblot engine sale!!! 8^)

All sold out!!! 8^(

Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joblotbw.jpg (91.0 KB, 63 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #27
mercman from oz

This is what a NOS Flathead Motor looks like. These were surplus after World War II. My brother bought this one back in the early Seventies.
As you can see, all parts are there, with just a few items to reattach.
This one is still in the original Crate.
Just goes to prove that late model engines are not the only "Crate Motors"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0666.jpg (79.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4386.jpg (79.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4388.jpg (64.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0647.jpg (71.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4383.jpg (74.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4390.jpg (65.4 KB, 61 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #28
Corn Fed

Probably 25 years ago my Dad bought a NOS block still in the crate at a local swap meet. I don't know what he paid for it, but it probably wasn't much. He still has it.
Corn Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric42 View Post
I have a NOS 99A block still in the WWII packing crate. Here is a picture of it on top of the crate all dressed up at a local show

That's awesome. Love it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #30
beerayb

To see a brand new flathead still in the crate is a sight to behold for sure, Thanks for sharing the pics. Way cool. Ray
beerayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
s nichols

had a chance to buy one this summer-- found in granpas garage took it to local junk yard still on cart with wheels mounted verticaly it was 1933or34 if it was 59a or 8ba i would have bought it $ 500 dont know if the yard still has it south west Wisconcin
s nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #32
raceron1120

Ah,,,great stories about those old irons. I have one.

Was working parts in a small northern Michigan Ford dealership in the mid 70s. Building was WWII vintage, all wood framework due to steel shortages at the time. Over the parts dept was a small storage area, mostly stuff stashed between and around the rafters. I got to digging thru some of it and found an old wooden crate. Did some research on it - it was a replacement 12 cylinder Lincoln engine, (long block). It still had the original shipping label on it from Ford - I can't remember exactly what it said but at the time I knew it was N.O.S from the warehouse.

Along with the engine was a duke's mixture of obsolete parts & pieces - Model A (I think) complete windshield/frame assembly, an exterior sunvisor, and dozens of moldings, park- and tail- light lenses etc. Management said that stuff was worthless and suggested I work a few weekends & pitch it all in the dumpster. I would love to have taken it home but I had no storage room, could'a had it for the taking. But I knew a fella that had a pole-barn with a lot of N.O.S stuff so I called him; he came over and offered the $200 for all of the "junk" upstairs, and that he would remove it. Needless to say he made out very well. I did too, with a few of those old parts as my bird-dog commission.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote