Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #21
dumb person

Default Re: Conversation with a WWII Veteran

Last old man i took to the R.S.A. (Returned Services Assosiation) was 97, i don't think he likes me but he likes my old car.
He saw a japanese car & mumbled something about how much he doesn't love 'the japs'.
He's got a lot of fight in him for a man that really can't walk anymore.
Too bad they outlawed most of the history in my country and replaced it with mandatory "Hate yourself" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

The most true thing i have seen today

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #22
FrankWest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jofuq5JDOuw
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #23
Bored&Stroked

Just spent a lot of the Thanksgiving Holiday reading a book about D-Day - June 6, 1944. The book covered all the prep, logistics, training, planning and execution . . . what an amazing accomplishment - no amphibious landing has ever come close to it and there were no guarantees that it would work. I thought I knew a bit about it - but this book amazed me from one end to the other.

It also covered a lot of what Germany was doing, had a lot of material about their various Generals and how they attempted to build the Atlantic Sea Wall (and had accomplished a lot) - but nowhere near what was needed. Also, they had no control over the air or sea by the time of D-Day . . . really no way they could win the war by that time. (Along with the stupidity of opening the Eastern Front and going to war with Russia).

As DavidG said - these guys/gals were the Greatest Generation - no question in my mind! Thank you all Vets and your families - freedom is never free! God Bless you all!

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 12-08-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #24
barnstuf

As a WWII combat veteran of Normandy I enjoyed the original posters story. However the time difference from Hawaii was such that the attack at dawn in Hawaii was about 1 PM in Massachusetts my home state. We got the breaking news of the attack on our radio about 1 PM as we were having Sunday dinner.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #25
4t7heaven

Thumbs up Re: Conversation with a WWII Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
As a WWII combat veteran of Normandy I enjoyed the original posters story. However the time difference from Hawaii was such that the attack at dawn in Hawaii was about 1 PM in Massachusetts my home state. We got the breaking news of the attack on our radio about 1 PM as we were having Sunday dinner.

Thank you for your service, sir. We all owe you one.
4t7heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #26
Dean Hansen

The best teacher I had in high school was my World History teacher (my senior year was 1959-1960). It wasn't until I attended his funeral a dozen years ago that I learned that he had been in a tank crew fighting across France and then into Germany from June 1944 to May 1945. But he never even mentioned this in the class. He not only taught World History, he had helped make it. Rest in peace, Mr. Ario.
Dean Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #27
RalphM

Quote:
No words can express my gratitude to you and your generation. So I’ll just say Thank You sir!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:19 AM   #28
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I had a cousin who was on a mine sweeper in Pearl Harbor that day (and survived that day and the war) and another who flew the hump in the CBI theater (and survived along with recurring malaria issues). Without a doubt, the greatest generation.
Yes the greatest generation. My uncles brother was on a ship in Pearl that was bombed. He survived the entire war. My father-in-law was a carrier Hellcat pilot in the south Pacific theater. Shot down twice but also survived the war. I salute all that have ever served in all conflicts!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:29 AM   #29
JWL
Member Emeritus

My Daddy was in the Army Air Force when I was born in 1942. By the time I was old enough to learn about WWII it was difficult to get much out of Dad in answer to any questions me or my brother would pose. Later, when I was in the Army, Daddy would tell me "the first few years are hardest". And then smile.

America was blessed to have such wonderful men and women available to save our country and several other countries. I wish I would have better expressed my appreciation to my Dad before he died.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #30
mfirth

God bless all veterans & those serving now. It is amazing what WW 2 military and folks at places like the Ford Motor Co.who built planes, etc. accomplished and did for this country.
I am blessed to have met Dr. Brown who was a Tuskgee Airman & lives near me in northern Ohio.
God bless the U S A !
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #31
Charlie ny
BANNED

Your Honor,
Check out the Email I forwarded to you last night.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #32
Frank Miller

I had a teacher who served in the war. He said he gave up hunting after the war because after humans animals were no challenge. I'm sure there was more to his story but that's what he told us.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #33
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
My Daddy was in the Army Air Force when I was born in 1942. By the time I was old enough to learn about WWII it was difficult to get much out of Dad in answer to any questions me or my brother would pose. Later, when I was in the Army, Daddy would tell me "the first few years are hardest". And then smile.

America was blessed to have such wonderful men and women available to save our country and several other countries. I wish I would have better expressed my appreciation to my Dad before he died.
Well said!!.....I feel the same.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
Marcus

Barnstuf: we all honor you, Sir! Your contributions to our country and way of life can never be repaid!! And you are correct: Uncle John said it was probably around noon or so when they went to the Bloody Bucket ( and I should have explained it was a "honky-tonk" ).
Charlie NY (and anyone else interested): my new email is [email protected].
Old 12-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #35
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Thankyou Sir . . . much appreciate what you've done for this country! What part of the D-Day operation were you involved with and what beach did you come ashore on?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #36
Bored&Stroked

My Dad was in WWII in submarines in the Pacific . . . he would sometimes talk about some of their exploits (made your hair stand on end!). I toured a WWII diesel boat like his in SanFran - Holy Crap - can't imagine being submerged and getting depth-charged in that tin can. He passed in 95' - sure miss that man!

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

11-11-2017 1-37-27 PM.jpg
Old 12-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #37
Bored&Stroked

Hey - for any of you guys that were in or are interested in WWII insignias and patches for different areas of service, checkout 'PopularPatch.com'.

They had patches for my Dad's submarine - nicely done, about 6" x 3" in size, for a totally cheap price of about $10 each. I will use them on some future HotRod project. Would love to make a WWII "belly tanker" race car - painted to mimic a torpedo and Dad's USS Moray submarine insignia. Here is the patch I received - sure looks like a faithful copy of the original artwork image (I posted above):

2019-12-08_12-06-24.jpg
Old 12-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #38
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
My Dad was in WWII in submarines in the Pacific . . . he would sometimes talk about some of their exploits (made your hair stand on end!). I toured a WWII diesel boat like his in SanFran - Holy Crap - can't imagine being submerged and getting depth-charged in that tin can. He passed in 95' - sure miss that man!

Attachment 415155

Attachment 415156

Attachment 415157
I toured one of those World War II Diesel Electric Submarines as well. I can’t imagine being in one of those, takes a special kind of man. I don’t think I could do it. Thank God for men like your Dad that did!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #39
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I toured one of those World War II Diesel Electric Submarines as well. I can’t imagine being in one of those, takes a special kind of man. I don’t think I could do it. Thank God for men like your Dad that did!
Even back then, it was a part of the Navy that was quite selective - they had various skills and personality tests in order for them to "help you" select that area of service. My Dad told a story where at the end of basic training, you were supposed to have a couple "choices" - to request which branch/area you wanted to serve in.

There were only a few guys left at this point - you might say the select few the Navy had their eyes on for Submarine service.

The DI stood in front of the guys and shouted "Boys the United States Government has a special deal going on today - all of you are lucky to qualify. The deal is if you can take a Landing Craft (LC) to shore and back three times, we will GIVE it to you and your service will be done. OR, you can go into the submarine service. Thought I'd mention, we've not given away any LCs as of yet!".

Needless to say, all those guys went into the submarine service . . . .
Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #40
frnkeore

Well, I'm glad to hear the the Navy, at least gave there guys choices. I was drafted, into the Army, 3 days before my 21st Bday, in 1965.

I can't remember getting any choices on anything

Oh, I forgot, I guess I did have a choice whether or not to go see Bob Hope
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote