Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Flathead distributor "service"

Over the last three to four years we have made up and shipped well over 600 of the chevrolet conversion distributors to a happy group of flathead owners. (672 to be exact)
Over the years as we build these jewels we have made changes as we go along and its good to see one from time to time that has some serious miles on it.
These changes could be finish, paint , machine work , advance limits right down to the contact point attaching screws being switched to stainless ( i hate rust). The way we lube the parts have changed and for the most parts all the changes have been very minor in nature and most changes lately have been cosmetic just because i didnt like the look. Oh well its been a good design for the most part !!!
This unit came in today with some serious miles out of a flathead that the customer had broken something on the engine and wanted the distributor freshened up , recurved and tested for his new engine.
A couple notes based on what i seen when i opened the box...
The basic distributor looked very well, the advance weights still looked very new and the cosmetics looked good.
I noticed that the advance limit ( back then a rubber bushing---today we use a brass bushing) has swollen just from engine fumes etc and i replaced it with the new up graded brass piece. The advance curve was correct but it did change it a little on the lower end and took a couple degrees out of the top end.
The biggest no-no i seen was the primary lead going to the points was cut and a new end crimped on ( see pic) oops that one i hadnt thought about.
I realize why you would neaten up the primary lead but ya can do that !!! The lead is a factory calibrated lead to drop the final little surge of voltage going to the ignition contacts after the coil drops and consumes the final shot of voltage...
We suggest using a 1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm resistor on 12 volt systems. Using ohms law with 3 ohms resistance and a 12 volt battery would equal 4 amps current flow in the primary ignition system. ( perfect for this system)
Voltage drop is ohms times amps so each would drop 6 volts in a perfect world and the voltage would be zero or close to it at the contact points ( actually approx .100 mili volts etc).
This works well untill you start the engine. Two issues here as the voltage usually goes up to 14 volts and the resistors heat up. This allows the voltage in the calibrated primary lead to increase slightly. The calibrated (finely stranded) lead is our final resistor and consumes the final voltage drop eating up this excess protecting the points.
Its not uncommon to see a street roder replace the engtire lead with solid 14 gauge wire !!!! Bad move for sure.
Moral of the story is "DONT CUT THE FACTORY PRIMARY LEAD ", We install this factory lead for a reason...

Item two is the condition of the contacts with some metal transfer , again pretty normal but maybe a little pre-mature on the example used with cut primary lead.

It changes the capacitance in the system.......clear enough...????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8342.jpg (51.3 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8343.jpg (40.7 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8345.jpg (39.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8346.jpg (69.0 KB, 334 views)
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
alanwoodieman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: upstate SC
Posts: 2,372
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Good to hear of an "experienced" distributor coming back for some updating/freshing and appearing so good as it came back. Around here we use a vw coil with internal resistor as oppossed to a external type-Any thoughts on that? I want to have a conversion done for my engine-what do I need to do? 51 Merc with a 77b Isky cam
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
jack orchard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: summerfield florida
Posts: 380
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

so i could install one of those resistive primary leads and get rid of my clunky external 1.5 ohm resistor? if so, sign me up...jack
__________________
Proud FNG
We fixem cars. Heap Good!
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Henry/Kokomo
Senior Member
 
Henry/Kokomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 1,731
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Didn't know the lead was resistance wire or that it was calibrated. What I learned today. Thanks, Jim.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack orchard View Post
so i could install one of those resistive primary leads and get rid of my clunky external 1.5 ohm resistor? if so, sign me up...jack

Nope the final lead is used with the resistor............
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
Good to hear of an "experienced" distributor coming back for some updating/freshing and appearing so good as it came back. Around here we use a vw coil with internal resistor as oppossed to a external type-Any thoughts on that? I want to have a conversion done for my engine-what do I need to do? 51 Merc with a 77b Isky cam
The Bosch blue could be the best coil ever made !!!!! I use them on many projects.....

I have your conversion in stock just call to order....317-487-9460 Ask for the flathead conversion with points etc.......
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
grumpys hot rods
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 89
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Good Post Bubba !!!!!!!! Good point about distributor lead.
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
jack orchard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: summerfield florida
Posts: 380
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

if i read the final lead with a ohmeter, what should the resistance be? thanks...jack
__________________
Proud FNG
We fixem cars. Heap Good!
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack orchard View Post
if i read the final lead with a ohmeter, what should the resistance be? thanks...jack
Jack, Not sure it would be measurable without a load on it. They are a finely stranded wire that would only offer resistance when current was flowing through and the voltage level was higher than normal...
Most auto parts stores sell these special primary leads for different applications. I stock a GM lead and a Ford ( later model ) lead ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8349.jpg (24.0 KB, 61 views)
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
George/Maine
Senior Member
 
George/Maine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mid coast Maine
Posts: 1,878
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Bubba
It looks like a Flathead dist,
does it use same rotor and ford cap.
Do you need a core or sold as is without one.
Do you have straight axle on your F1,my 52 f1 does,nt like more then 55mph.
I,d have to do something to make 100 MPH.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
tiquer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 392
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
The Bosch blue could be the best coil ever made !!!!! I use them on many projects.....

I have your conversion in stock just call to order....317-487-9460 Ask for the flathead conversion with points etc.......
I like the idea of the Chev dist. The hei style is so large and out of place looking on a stockish flathead. Would a points style and msd box be a good way of going eletronic but more hidden. I want to use a duel intake I have and the stock dist. with petronics still has only the vacume advance? Your opinion is god here
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
Bubba
It looks like a Flathead dist,
does it use same rotor and ford cap.
Do you need a core or sold as is without one.
Do you have straight axle on your F1,my 52 f1 does,nt like more then 55mph.
I,d have to do something to make 100 MPH.
Our flathead conversions use a delco distributor cap and rotor and no core is needed.

We made a tube axle for the truck an actually narrowed it a bit to tuck the tires in per air testing etc. We have ran 108 with the truck but caught the wrong fuel last weekend.....
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
I like the idea of the Chev dist. The hei style is so large and out of place looking on a stockish flathead. Would a points style and msd box be a good way of going eletronic but more hidden. I want to use a duel intake I have and the stock dist. with petronics still has only the vacume advance? Your opinion is god here

" friends dont let friends use MSD"



Ok just kidding , however the design and the compression ratio of the flathead doesnt really need the features a MSD box can bring. The point distributor with a MSD box would run forever and the MSD box would take the load (amps ) of the system very well. Good idea...

Replacing the stock loadamatic is a must do !!
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
tiquer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 392
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
" friends dont let friends use MSD"



Ok just kidding , however the design and the compression ratio of the flathead doesnt really need the features a MSD box can bring. The point distributor with a MSD box would run forever and the MSD box would take the load (amps ) of the system very well. Good idea...

Replacing the stock loadamatic is a must do !!
Thanks for your reply. Just thought the smaller dist. and cap on the points set up would be less conspicuous. Now how are the points style for availability and how much do you charge for one and is a core exchange needed?
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
Thanks for your reply. Just thought the smaller dist. and cap on the points set up would be less conspicuous. Now how are the points style for availability and how much do you charge for one and is a core exchange needed?

No core required, Conversion is $180 complete with cap, rotor, and resistor.
You can call the shop at 1-317-487-9460
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
tiquer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 392
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Sounds great I will be intouch soon thanks Brad
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
alan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UPSTATESC
Posts: 669
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

I installed one of your conversions but due to that ugly thing called "work" haven't driven it much-took a 35 mile highway trip to see a buddy and it ran great, really big difference in top end pick-up, and smoothness. Thanks I have one question-what do you think the coil temperature should be? More of an knowledge based question than a concern. If you are an older person you might remember Manard G. Greebs on Doby Gillis and his refernce to "work"
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
I installed one of your conversions but due to that ugly thing called "work" haven't driven it much-took a 35 mile highway trip to see a buddy and it ran great, really big difference in top end pick-up, and smoothness. Thanks I have one question-what do you think the coil temperature should be? More of an knowledge based question than a concern. If you are an older person you might remember Manard G. Greebs on Doby Gillis and his refernce to "work"

Using a 1.5 ohm resistor and a 1.5 ohm coil it shouldnt get very hot at all. Maybe warm underhood but not boiling hot.
If the coil has less resistance then expect it to get hot.
Been having a terrible time with some of the aftermarket off shore ignition coils....
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #19
ken ct
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: stratford,ct
Posts: 5,971
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
The Bosch blue could be the best coil ever made !!!!! I use them on many projects.....

I have your conversion in stock just call to order....317-487-9460 Ask for the flathead conversion with points etc.......
Bubba i used a Blue Bosch on a 1 cyl. Royal Enfield i had a couple of yrs ago. Fantastic coil. Bike ran like a scalled dog.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 4,009
Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Bubba i used a Blue Bosch on a 1 cyl. Royal Enfield i had a couple of yrs ago. Fantastic coil. Bike ran like a scalled dog.ken ct.
Ken , The blue bosch ( vw beetle) coil is a 3-4 ohm internally resisted ignition coil and one of the best out there . Good choice for a coil...
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.