Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Apology

I have been contacted off the board by a member here about a thread he and I had participated it.

While I thought it was a lively discussion he felt attacked. I asked him if he wanted me to apologize to him here but I'm not going to wait for an answer to post this general apology.

After my posts about personal attacks, to have a member here take the time to write me, I know there must be other that have not. I want to let you know that I'm sorry if I have offended anyone personally. It was never my intention to do so.

I'm passionate about Model A's and with passion comes fustration, and mistakes. In this case mistakes that have hurt people.

When I write, I often quote the other person just to try to be sure that I'm commenting on just that one issue. I also try to quote athorities on the Model A in my answers so as not to appear as a know it all.

While I will continue to ask questions, question answers, and attempt to increase my knowledge of these cars, I promise to do my best to improve my comments to eliminate anything that is personal or might be considered personal.

I'm really a nice guy, active in the Knight of Columbus, I'm on the commitee for my son's scout troop, I sit on a commitee in my community, I handle the Clubs web site and I've been an officer in the club for 6 of my 8 years in the club and president for four of those.

Please accept my apology.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
48Ratfink

Default Re: Apology

No problem here,,some people just need thicker skin!
I enjoy all Your posts.
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
bobgreco

Nice note. Sometimes it seems like there are a few posts by many of us that could be reworded, but I definitely like all the help and information I get from all, including your self.
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Roadster62

Mike,I'm on here every day, and choose to read the threads I'm interested in and never read anything you posted that I thought was the least bit out of line or offensive. I've pretty much figured out most of the regular posters and know were they are coming from, we all love Model A Fords, some are hard line "Fine Point" all the way to those fooling around with field find jolpies. Great bunch of people IMO.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Patrick L.

I guess I didn't read the thread you're referring to. Regardless, I don't remember reading anything offensive from you.. You just have your own opinions, like everyone else.. There are some folks on this board that are down-right nasty and your certainly not one of them..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Aerocraft

You display great character to post the apology regardless of need. You can drive my Model A's! Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
rmak

Mike,
I participated in the thread you are referring to. I thought everyone had their say. Like everything in life this will pass, and pass quickly, from everyone's consciousness.

I teach writing. I've read thousands of papers by young people struggling to get their points across. Writing is a clumsy, limited form of communication. If you have a knack for it you can make millions just on the strength of being able to say exactly what you want with words. Unfortunately, most of us have difficulty. We either wind up writing too little or too much (like I am now) leaving everyone else scratching their heads.

The dangers of not saying what we want are exacerbated in internet forums. Posters respond in haste and sometimes in emotion. Few go back, reread and try to clarify. It's easier to just hit the send button. We all have more important things to do.

I'm sure that if any two of us were sitting in a bar eating peanuts and drinking beer, we would have no difficulty hashing out differences of opinions we have about anything related to Model A Fords.

I take everything I read on these forums with a grain of salt and an extra helping of forgiveness. That's my humble advice for everyone. You do indeed sound like a nice guy. I appreciate your input.

Last edited by rmak; 05-08-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Ha, ha, found a proofreading error!
rmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Dick Deegan

Mike;

I am unaware of the post in which you offended someone, but I think that your "apology" post was very professional and obviously heartfelt and i commend you for it. It also takes some courage and maturity to write a note such as that. We all love our Model A's and are very passionate about them. I always visit Fordbarn every day and I would never have been able to restore my Model A to its current condition without the assistance of Fordbarn people and that certainly includes you.

Please continue to post your valuable comments.

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
2manycars

Mike, I have the "ignore" feature of this forum set for a few of the folks I do not care to hear from, but you are not one of them. I find your comments to be useful and welcome. I have been restoring and driving model A's more than 50 years, but I learn more every day, and this forum is one of the learning places.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
bobpo

Mike V,

I'm going to put in a good word for you in those clubs and committees you belong to. I think that's the least I can do.

High Five to ya, Mike V
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Tinker

Mike, I believe that a persons character is not wrapped up in one statement that he/she may make, but is comprised of a collection of actions and statements accumulated over time. To me, you didn't say anything mean or hateful. I think you have proved what your about over and over again. The test of time!

I hope offended member stays on the fordbarn and shares more information and participates occasionally with discusses. Hope this wasn't a onetime deal. But as mentioned may need some thicker skin.

Sometimes a negative comment can lead to more knowledge and positive outcomes. I had no knowledge of a whole new host of great parts. From that little discussion I now know more about them and now know where to find them.

On the Hamb it's called the "power of the hamb". Fordbarn has power as well.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
jimalabam

Although I read the Barn posts daily, I seldom post replies. Today is an exception. Mike, although I see you did no wrong, it takes a big man to stand up and apolize. I applaude your efforts and I too would drink a beer with you and let you drive my Model A, anytime. Regards, Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I have been contacted off the board by a member here about a thread he and I had participated it.

While I thought it was a lively discussion he felt attacked. I asked him if he wanted me to apologize to him here but I'm not going to wait for an answer to post this general apology.

After my posts about personal attacks, to have a member here take the time to write me, I know there must be other that have not. I want to let you know that I'm sorry if I have offended anyone personally. It was never my intention to do so.

I'm passionate about Model A's and with passion comes fustration, and mistakes. In this case mistakes that have hurt people.

When I write, I often quote the other person just to try to be sure that I'm commenting on just that one issue. I also try to quote athorities on the Model A in my answers so as not to appear as a know it all.

While I will continue to ask questions, question answers, and attempt to increase my knowledge of these cars, I promise to do my best to improve my comments to eliminate anything that is personal or might be considered personal.

I'm really a nice guy, active in the Knight of Columbus, I'm on the commitee for my son's scout troop, I sit on a commitee in my community, I handle the Clubs web site and I've been an officer in the club for 6 of my 8 years in the club and president for four of those.

Please accept my apology.
I think we should just IGNORE stupid, non productive postings, and maybe they will get the message and go away!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Bassman/NZ

One thing that many people forget, or maybe just dont realise, is that the nature of the interweb means we're conveying our thoughts without the benefit of nuances and/or body language that would be present in normal conversation. Consequently things get misconstrued very easily.
My opinion is that if you want to play on forums, you need to develop a thick skin. I've been a member of the Hamb for a good number of years. I've had my arse kicked a couple of times, once by Ryan! I've had many occasions where some little dweeb or some keyboard warrior has had a go at me, but I just ignore them or reply with some suitably scathing remark. This is the attitude you need to have to survive in the world of forums. It's no place for sensitive new-age guys!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Terry Longest

I think rmak said it well. In this day and age too many of us are too quick to take offence at things that we should "let slide."
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Mike--You are one of many who make this a quality web site. I always thought you were a nice guy. This post of yours proves it.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
Bill Goddard

Mike, I have found most of your comments to be rather amusing but none were offensive. Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
Milton

Mike,
This is so real to life. A guy like you steps in between two people ready to duke it out, and you get nailed for it. Then YOU apologize! You're a hell of a guy, and you can buy me a beer anytime.

Milton
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
dumb person

If i said anything people do not like they can tell me i guess...
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
MrTube

Mike,
you are one of the best in my book.

Chris J.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote