Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
bcharlton

Default Please do Not touch!

How many of us have seen these signs at "Crusie Nights"

Maybe it's me but I will have a new sign made up for my 1932 ford to display car shows and cruise nights this summer

"Please enjoy the car and feel free to sit inside"

Last year I saw a 60 year old man almost rip the arm off an 11 year old boy as he put his hand on the door handle of his "glass" 1939 Ford Zephyr.

We need to instill a love of our cars into the youth of this country. That is the best way for our love of old cars to survice. Screeming at kids for touching your car will not accomplish this.

If you trailer your car to shows, leave it in the trailer. That way you will ensure that you won't have to yell at anyone who may want to touch your piece of American history.

Just my 2 cents
FNG
bcharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Please do Not touch!

Bcharlton
I agree completely. It's a car and I can probably fix it. However, I've seen people alone and with kids, just get into a car without regard for who's it is, etc. Just ask me first if it's ok.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Old Henry

Here's my sign that I used for shows last summer:

"Old Henry" Welcomes You
Although most cars here at the show only want to be seen, not touched. Old Henry’s a little different.
If you’d like to touch him go ahead, we’ll wipe off any fingerprints. If you touch him lightly with a gentle stroke you probably won’t leave any fingerprints anyway.
If you’d like to sit in his driver’s seat and honk his horn or have us open his hood or start his engine just ask us, we’ll do it.
We also have a collection of 1947 Ford and 1947 Utah memorabilia with us you can look at if you’d like.
We’re happy to share "Old Henry" and the year 1947 with you.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I've seen people alone and with kids, just get into a car without regard for who's it is, etc.Jim
I've only been showing "Old Henry" at car shows for three years so I still haven't figured out where car owners go who just bring their car, roll up the windows, lock the doors and take off and are never seen near their car again for the rest of the show until it's time to drive it away.

I love sitting with "Old Henry" and telling "ooglers" all about him. (He's been in the family for 51 years.) If any kid stands on his tip toes trying to see inside I run up to them, open the door, let them sit in the driver's seat and honk the horn (I've got a pair of the big trumpet horns under the hood so thay love that.) To me, that's the fun of a car show. What kind of fun is anyone having that just dumps their car for the day and comes back at closing and drives it away?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Lanny

quote : "Please enjoy the car and feel free to sit inside"

That won't be enough for Some of the kids, or grown-ups today,
You should throw them the keys and say
"Take her for a drive, so you can really appreciate it".

Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Steve_S

I'm with you. I encourage anyone who wants to to sit in my car, although I'd like to add that it's common courtesy to ask before touching someone elses car. It's nice however to see the look of amazement on people's faces when I tell them to go ahead and open the door, and put their kids inside. there's no better way to promote the hobby than to keep youngsters interested, and the older crowd need to gain an appreciation so that they can encourage their children to learn more about these old machines.

I will admit to Henry however that I often walk away from my car at a car show (leaving the windows down though) because I want to see all the other cars for myself! I can look at my own car any time I like. Then again I'm on the young side of the hobby and still learning so maybe that will change.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
sky1928

Although I respect those that choose not to let folks touch their cars, I tend to agree with those that let others touch or sit in the cars. I love to see the smiles of childern and adults when they get to sit inside and take pictures. One time, I could see tears welt up in one elderly man's eyes as it brought back a rush of past memories for him. For me, it's all part of bringing back a little bit of the past for all to enjoy, or in some cases, re-live.
sky1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Cecil/WV

I'd hate for someone to mess up my shine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03556.JPG (156.9 KB, 160 views)
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I'd hate for someone to mess up my shine.
Wow!!! That is one cool car. Having traveled across the lonesome roads of Nevada several times, your photo makes me want to hop in your Ford and floor it all the way to Ely.

TM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Grandadeo

I keep a sign under the seat of my roadster, mainly for cruise nights. When I'm walking around and see about the tenth "You Touch My Car And I'll Rip Your Lungs Out" sign I go and break mine out. It says "Touch Me - Feel Me - I'm Here For A Good Time." Like others have said, it's great to let folks sit in the car while their family or friend takes their picture. Smiles all around.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
ford1

i dont know how the rest of you feel but if some jerk at a car show touches are yells at any of my family he will be laying on the ground with all of his front teeth bent, if they start to touch or get to close to the car all he has to say is please dont do that, i dont like the car touched, and i will make sure they dont touch it
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
19Fordy

Picture this: A older fellow( who should no better) with a cell phone that has a loooooong antennae in his hand opens the door and climbs into your driver's seat - radio in hand, antennae still pointed up towards your new headliner. What would you do if you saw him?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

My brother with his 80 vette at shows and cruises this past summer had a similar sign on driver's door, several youngsters took advantage of it and you should see the smiles and proud parents taking pictures.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
denverslim

For some reason, little kids love to sit in ole Hoss!. I've got the starter switch wired so it won't engage without the key...slim

denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Picture this: A older fellow( who should no better) with a cell phone that has a loooooong antennae in his hand opens the door and climbs into your driver's seat - radio in hand, antennae still pointed up towards your new headliner. What would you do if you saw him?
I'm thinking that the answer that you're looking for is "Go Ballistic!"

That might be the natural tendency for some. But, I am sincere when I say that I want everyone possible to enjoy my car. So, I would just kindly say, "Here, let me hold your phone for you." Then, he'd give it to me and I'd hold it while he enjoyed the car.

Although I haven't had any problem with 4 foot long cell phone antennaes (that don't really exist), once a month I drive 30 minutes to pick up my 85 year old dad in a little mountain village up the canyon from my home to take him to lunch in "Old Henry" which he originally bought in 1959. He has to use one crutch to walk and every time he opens the back door on his side to put the crutch in I watch the top of the crutch a bit apprehensively as it nears the healiner. So far, no damage, yet. But, my greater concern is his happiness and the thrill he gets the whole time we're "driving Old Henry." I also load the car with my grandkids and cover the seats with a towel so they can feel comfortable sitting on their feet on the seats. People first, I try to live by, things second.

(Come on, it's the Christmas season. What other answer could one give?)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-23-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
Steve_S

Quote:
I wouldn't do a thing, because the only time I'd let someone on a cell phone into my driver's seat is if he just handed me a check for the car.

Maybe I'm just getting crotchety but if someone isn't interested enough in my car to get off their cell phone first then I don't see any reason to let him sit in it.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
uncle max

My decal says "Touch, but please don't look."
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Fordors

I completely agree, the best way to get someone into the hobby is to give them a chance to experience it first hand. Of course some parents are clods, but oh well, that's just the way it is.
I was on a drag race crew for a long time; a fast car too, 5.60's @ 260+mph. I'd put kids in the seat for a photo op all the time, what could they hurt? And if a special needs fan came over I always slipped them a T-shirt.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S View Post
I wouldn't do a thing, because the only time I'd let someone on a cell phone into my driver's seat is if he just handed me a check for the car.

Maybe I'm just getting crotchety but if someone isn't interested enough in my car to get off their cell phone first then I don't see any reason to let him sit in it.
I guess I should have mentioned that I wasn't near the car and this was when cell phones first came out (1980's) and they were the size of a brick with the pull out antennae. I saw the guy from a distance, gave him a piece of my mind and he said he wanted to buy the car "on the spot." Turns out he was very rich - a car collector in Miami. I didn't sell.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
Steve_S

Quote:
...he wanted to buy the car "on the spot." Turns out he was very rich - a car collector in Miami. I didn't sell.
I bet that felt good!