Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Judson

Default Rear end noise solved!

Thanks to everyone that responded to my issue from yesterday. I was ready to bite the bullet and pull the rear end and look at the pinion bearings as suggested by one member. But Chuck Kallas said before we start that, l want you to remove the speedometer gear housing behind the trans and see if it has oil in it or it is dry. Surprise, it was dry as bone, so I squired a lot of heavy oil inside the area and all over the rear towards the bearing and filled the cap with a good dose, bolted it back up and the noise disappeared, problem solved! Chuck said that some of the trans oil should be dripping in there and keeping the upper driveshaft bearing oiled. Since this car had been garaged since the late 40's or early 50's and only driven a total of about 300 miles until last year, the oil had turned to a crusty muck. Again, thanks to all that responded to my request for information
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
stainless steve

Default Re: Rear end noise solved!

Thats whats nice about this site and the people on it
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

Awesome! i havent heard of that being an issue. Thanks for sharing your results!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I removed my speedometer drive gear and pumped Mystik JT-6 High Temp grease into the grease fitting on the U-joint cover until it came out the hole for the speedometer gear. That way I know the gear and U-joint are well lubed for many years. Of course I still pump the fitting with grease at each oil change and grease job.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
green30coupe

Judson,
I agree with Tom. Your U joint may be dry also. If you are not going to pull the rear end, you might at least want to remove the speedometer gear housing (again) and pump some good grease into the U joint housing (through the grease fitting on the bottom of the U joint housing.) With the speedometer gear housing removed you will know when you have enough grease in the U joint when it starts to come out of the open hole. Since it has set so long, it would be better to go ahead and pull the rear end, clean any hardened grease from the U joint and drain and flush the rear end. Put it all back together, re-grease the U joint and re-fill the rear end. (a small amount of oil from the transmission mixes with the grease to form a slurry)
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
redmodelt

The U-joint should be packed with grease not lubed with a little bit of trans. oil that might leak in.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Since Vermin hasn't been driven since '87, I drilled a 1/8" hole in the rear trans housing & filled the u-joint area about 1/2 way, to create a "puddle" for the poor old dry u-joint to dip into. I'm not a great believer in totally filling the u-joint area with grease, ever since the Dog taught me, CENTRIFUGAL FORCE-101--While teaching me, he spun around, FAST, in a tight circle & fell over! I still don't know whut thet meant??? Bill W.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
1937pickup

I have a flathead v8 and it has a u joint that is in a clam shell. The v8 guys says to use John Deer corn head grease. It will not form a cavity in the clam shell and lubricate your u joint. Don't know if the A is the same, but it sounds like it is.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
I have a flathead v8 and it has a u joint that is in a clam shell. The v8 guys says to use John Deer corn head grease. It will not form a cavity in the clam shell and lubricate your u joint. Don't know if the A is the same, but it sounds like it is.

Many here also use corn head grease. An unshielded transmission bearing should allow some fluid to mix with the grease. I make a kind of a slurry of oil and grease for this purpose. There's more than one way to milk a cow.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Judson,

Thanks for your sincere reply on what you found & how it was repaired. Information like this always helps all of us.

Some are sometimes unconcerned; i.e., acting like a One-Way Street, & not charitable enough to take the time to report back; however it can work like this:

1. You come on as an intelligent inquisitive Model A student asking a question.
2. Multiple Model A teachers give you possible answers.
3. Then you come back with helpful information, not as a student with questions; but as a Model A teacher ...... then all of us become the Model A students learning from a caring Model A teacher.

You are definitely an honorable Model A gentleman who cares to help others.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote