Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Autodave

Default Engine warm up

On a cold start, do you guy's let your engine run for a certain time before driving?
Autodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Engine warm up

Once started, throttle, spark and mixture set to drive out the door it goes---only if I have to run back into the house to get something will I let it "warm up"
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

How long till you get it in gear and the clutch out?

Something to understand or keep in mind. In taking apart engines that have been sitting around for decades (30-40 years) with no oil in them. When you pull the caps on the rods and the mains there is still a good oil film on them.
I am mentioning this because you engine keeps a good film of oil on everything when it is used periodically. So you will not have issues.

Now clearly you do not want to start beating the crap out out of the engine till it gets a bit warmer. The oil thins and is flowing all over nicely.

A final note. The only pressure oiled bearing in the A is also the most worn. That is the cam center main.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Autodave

It was a brisk 60 degrees yesterday(), I just did not know if it harmful without running it for a couple minutes.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Engins should be warmed up at least 3 minutes in warm weather, and at least 5, and more in cold weather.

Pistons for sure need the heat to close the gap to cylinder wall clearance.

Many a piston have been cracked, or exploded in all engines from doing the opposite.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
P.S.

Here's what I do to warm up the motor. It takes about 5 minutes when it's mild outside, longer when it's cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130410-00225.jpg (85.9 KB, 55 views)
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
J Franklin

I run a 160 degree thermostat. Idles out of the garage for about 2 minutes.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Start it up. Get levers and such where they need to be. Let the clutch out and go. Just like any other engine, take it easy for a bit.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
It was a brisk 60 degrees yesterday(), I just did not know if it harmful without running it for a couple minutes.
You kidding RIGHT.....I thought you said cold?? I let mine warm up in the summer for a full 5 minutes, in winter when its cold.. 38 degrees or less until the thermostat reads 160 and I go, sometimes 8-10 min.. I always warm up a car before i drive...
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Rex_A_Lott

Call me old-fashioned, I still like for mine to get up to NOP, NOT before I get on it hard.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
brum1

I let it warm about 2 minute or so and then baby it on the raod for another minuite or so
Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Autodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
You kidding RIGHT.....I thought you said cold?? I let mine warm up in the summer for a full 5 minutes, in winter when its cold.. 38 degrees or less until the thermostat reads 160 and I go, sometimes 8-10 min.. I always warm up a car before i drive...
I know what cold is...I used to live in Marengo,Il.
I have been letting it run till I can turn down the idle, and then let it run a bit longer.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
QGolden

I'm sorta' old school in that I let motors warm up before I take 'em out for a ride. Old ones get all the way up to operating temp. I am also realistic enough to know that it is likely unnecessary, but I do it anyway. There is 4800 lbs of pressure in the firing cylinder and I figure that having everything up to temp and fully seated can't hurt.

Oh, and it is 18 degrees at my house right now with gusts to 45mph.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Good point Bill, it does make a difference where you live.

I warm mine up a bit before I take off because I do not want to have to open the gas valve to keep it running while going down the road. So by letting it warm a bit, it will not cough and spit while I am trying to get in traffic.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Good point Bill, it does make a difference where you live.

I warm mine up a bit before I take off because I do not want to have to open the gas valve to keep it running while going down the road. So by letting it warm a bit, it will not cough and spit while I am trying to get in traffic.
You're right, Fred, Sometimes you don't want to chance that it would cough/stutter/or die & get rear ended! Betty, next door had a '26 Studebaker, named "ASTHMA", as she would cough & sputter until she was warm!!
It was a balmy mid 70's day here today, my "DURT GUYS" are coming tomorrow to scratch & re-seed my lawn. Bill W.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Even here in Florida I warm the engine before I drive. Just a minute or two the engine seems to settle in after that.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #17
Brother Hesekiel

I warm up my engine as well. I use the scientifically proven best way to do that: by driving the car gently until not only the water, but also the oil are warm. We're talking 20 minutes in Southern California weather here.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
Engins should be warmed up at least 3 minutes in warm weather, and at least 5, and more in cold weather.

Pistons for sure need the heat to close the gap to cylinder wall clearance.

Many a piston have been cracked, or exploded in all engines from doing the opposite.
TIMES 2 !
I wonder how many guys...who drive off as soon as engine is started,especially in cold country...run a thermostat ? Why bother to run a thermostat, when purpose defeated driving a cold engine. Same same !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
I warm up my engine as well. I use the scientifically proven best way to do that: by driving the car gently until not only the water, but also the oil are warm. We're talking 20 minutes in Southern California weather here.
Agreed! Idling a car to warm up is not doing it any favours. once the oil had circulated to all the required areas, it needs to be driven to warm up properly.

If you live in a cold area, and are worried about cold start protection, buy better oil - a 0W-XX will give the best startup protection, as it doesn't thicken when cold anywhere near as much as other oils.

Idling a car does NOT warm it up evenly, and certainly isn't warming up any other parts of the car, like the trans and diff etc. You've likely heated the pistons, head, coolant and exhaust valves. The rest hasn't warmed up, but you drive off, thinking it is.

Idling is the slowest way to warm an engine. Idling also does very little to raise the oil temps, and that thick cold oil (especially if you still use SAE 30) is what's causing the wear, as the flow is reduced when it's thick (That's what causes cold start wear). Flow is what protects the engine, not the pressure (otherwise an "A" engine wouldn't work, without pressure fed bearings, pressure in modern engines just gives better supply flow).

So with idling, you sit there with it doing a whole lot of cold revolutions with cold oil being pumped very slowly through the engine. Then drive off with warm coolant, and still cold oil.

In the vehicles I've had with an oil temperature gauge, the oil temp takes about twice as long to get to temp as the coolant does. Even my Aircooled VW's would have the air thermostat open (and the head temperature up to normal, when fitted) well before the oil temps were up to normal.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
green30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
You're right, Fred, Sometimes you don't want to chance that it would cough/stutter/or die & get rear ended! Betty, next door had a '26 Studebaker, named "ASTHMA", as she would cough & sputter until she was warm!!
It was a balmy mid 70's day here today, my "DURT GUYS" are coming tomorrow to scratch & re-seed my lawn. Bill W.
Too bad Betty was so cold natured.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote