Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Evil-Eric

Default 1950 brake pedal help needed

Ok, so im not sure how this all fits together on a '50 sedan. Purchased new master with new bronze bushings....now I always thought bushings are a tight fit and need reamed. The new bushings slid in and out of master and slide on and off the pin f the brake pedal. Is this right?

Also after the brake pin goes through master there is a groove cut in the pin at the end that sticks out...is there something that attaches to this?

Ive looked all over for a diagram of the brake pedal assembly, with no luck.

Thanks!
-Eric
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1950 brake pedal help needed

I'm not as familiar with the shoe box Fords as I am the 49/51 Mercury. The pedal bushings generally don't need to be reamed since the pedal shafts ar worn. I would think that they should be a press fit into the body of the master cylinder though. I wouldn't like the idea of them moving around in there. The diagram I have does show the spacer washer and the snap ring which looks similar to what the Mercs use for their pedals. The snap ring is the open gap type with no holes for a tool to fit into. Part number is 8A-2475 and the spacer washer is P/N 351503-S and is 5/8". The snap ring will be as thick as the width of the groove it goes into with a little off for fit. You may have to go to the parts store and find a thick 5/8 washer or washers you can space it with and a regular snap ring to fit on there just to make life easier.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-21-2011 at 01:09 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
TJ

The groove in the end of the pin is for the brake return spring. Spring sets in the groove and then pulls forward and attaches to a bracket on the frame or the belhousing.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The return spring connects to a little metal clip that attached with the link rod bolt & nut on the bottom of the pedal assembly. At least that's the way it is illustrated in the 49/53 Ford Chassis Parts Catalog. The spring does connect forward somewhere so as to pull the pedal back to the up possition. If it was connected to the pivot shaft, it woudn't pull on the pedal at all. The Mercury used a pin with a groove for the brake pedal return spring on the 49/51 models. That pin goes clear back to 1932 (P/N B-7533-B) for both brake and clutch pedals.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Evil-Eric

Thanks guys! Although I too do not like them floating, its however the best I have right now, Will search the swaps for NOS/NORS bushings. I put a washer and used 3 snap rings to fill the gap and so far so good. This is my first post 48 car so I need to order up some new "modern" year manuals! HAHA

-Eric
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote