Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #21
oz40

Default Re: 1935-48 Flathead engine mounts.

Hi Talkwrench,, I have been busy with plenty of projects but always dropping in here onto Fordbarn and enjoying the posts/reads.
oz40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 AM   #22
mercman from oz

I have owned these new Ford Flathead Engine Mounts for about 50 years. They do not have any markings? Would these be Genuine Ford?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #23
Mr 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas911-76 View Post
Thanks for this information.
Since 1 year I use the older reproduction full rubber version from MAC's. And now the rubber looks like 50 years old and flat. The rubber quality is very bad. And I am angry because the shipping costs to Germany belonged 65 US$ for that 2 parts. [emoji34]
I am very interested for the drake versions.
live in Sweden, and use a company (www.Jetcarrier.com) that gives me an US address. That i ship the part in US to.
And if the part is on my address on Friday before 10:00, that parts are in Sweden Next Thursday fro a fair price.
You can chose Sea freight for heavier parts, takes around two months.

I am sure there is similar company that serves German to.
regarding Mac's if you order two part the sen three boxes, and that raises the price on jetcarrier to unacceptable. So no more order on Macs for me.

Regarding Rubber parts i always order from Bob Drake, even if its a bit bad it's still the best that exist.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #24
DavidG

Mike,

I use both the Drake reproductions and NOS ones (which in the latter case unlike lots of NOS rubber parts, they seem to retain their original elasticity). The bolts that come with the Drake versions are the correct length for '32-'36 applications (although I use original bolts). Starting with the '37s longer bolts were used originally when this type of insulator was used for the back of the transmission on the center cross member.

Two nit picks about the Drake reproductions are that I wish they used yellow cadmium or yellow zinc plating for the steel portions of the top and bottom insulators, as original, and no upper steel washer is supplied. Originally, in addition to the large washer that the motor mount brackets rest upon there was a small, thick washer that went on top of the motor mount brackets (beneath the nut). I would also be nice if the nut and large washer supplied were cadmium plated (S7) as original rather than black oxide (S2).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #25
40larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz40 View Post
I'm in the process on setting my motor into the chassis on my 1940 ford. I would like to hear from my fellow fordbarners the pros and cons on the after market engine mounts as I have heard stories they collapse due to the quality of the rubber. Or is there anyone selling NOS or have a quality one on the market.. I have posted up a couple of pictures of the Bob Drake version,,,is the Bob Drake version any good?? Thanks in advance.

You could still buy NOS Ford motor mount pads from your Ford dealer's parts department up to about 10 years ago. These had Ford script and were painted grey. They are far superior to anything ever reproduced. The price was crazy about $25. each but if you want to play with the best you have to pay for the best. The grey paint can be cleaned away with lacquer thinner for using on a concourse restoration. Sometimes you see these grey ones laying around at swap meets. Good luck.
40larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #26
V8 Bob

I've had very good service with the cushion mounts from Chassis Engineering Inc., which is now part of Heidts. They closely resemble stock Ford biscuits, have a SS band and are high quality, like all C.E. products. (C.E. used these on all their engine mounts) I have them in my FH '32 and BBF '40. They are still available from Heidts; #SS-0011.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #27
Tom's36coupe

Getting ready to put the engine back in and not sure what is the correct way to instal the front motor mounts. Got a new set from Macs, large rubber puck and then a smaller rubber pad. Any pictures would be most appreciated
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Green Book illustration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor mount.JPG (73.4 KB, 49 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:15 AM   #29
Aarongriffey

Torque?
Run the nuts on with you fingers as tight as you can with two fingers, then turn them one more castle and put the cotter pin in.
I have one car that I actually put hockey pucks in. They are cheap. I’ve also used ‘55 Chevy V8 mounts.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:16 AM   #30
Aarongriffey

Torque?
Run the nuts on with you fingers as tight as you can with two fingers, then turn them one more castle and put the cotter pin in.
I have one car that I actually put hockey pucks in. They are cheap. I’ve also used ‘55 Chevy V8 mounts. You can usually get them at the local parts store.
And any store can order them.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #31
cajunfirehawk

Question Re: 1935-48 Flathead engine mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
There are also poly ones if you don't care about looking original.
Really would be interested in seeing those, those would NEVER collapse like the rubber ones, IMHO

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #32
Tom's36coupe

Thank you!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote