Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Big D

Default Making a 29 pickup into a 30-e31 pickup

So as many before me, I bought a 1930 Ford pickup needing a complete restore. After getting some parts (fenders, rad, rad shell, hood, etc), I came to learn that in fact the May 1930 truck is more like a 1929 than a 1930. After taking some measurements I believe that replacing the lower cowl panels and cab will allow parts to convert to a "real" 1930 pickup. I plan to tear down the truck this spring to the frame and repaint/rebuild it over a year or so. I know there were several things that were changed over the 4 years and large changes in between 1929 and 1930 models. Any changes to frame, length of transmission or mounting of body parts up front (Know the bed was the same until L1931. So what's your thoughts on this--- bad idea, no idea what else you have to do or easy enough to do.

thanks for the tips, Dennis
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Making a 29 pickup into a 30-e31 pickup

What cab do you have now? The frame front cross
member are different for 28-29 and 30-31.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
J Franklin

Why are you so disenchanted with what you have? After all it is a model A. I agree with fordgarage if you really don't like what you have.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
JTW

Pictures as to what is there now? Might help with specific answers. You mention replacing lower cowl panels and then cab when I think of them as all one unit, so maybe there is confusion about what kind of cab you want (square or round) if you wnat the round cab, sell what you have and get a mid 30 - 31 pickup.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Chris Haynes

No body parts are interchangable between an Early and Late 1930. The frames are different too.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Roger V

Anything can be done if you have enough skill, time, or money but this would be so extreme I don't think Boyd Coddington(if alive) would do it for a street rod. Most would lose heart about 2% into the project and then you have nothing resaleable. I'm with the fraternity that says sell it and buy what you really want.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

You will need a COMPLETE Cab including gas tank as well as all fenders, aprons, and running boards. If the pickup is a May '30 vehicle then the chassis (less radiator) is the same.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Keith True

When he said,change the cab and lower cowl panels,I wondered if he was referring to the aprons as lower cowl parts.I probably wouldn't have thought of that,except I talked to a guy recently that called them that.He was looking for a left lower cowl panel to patch up for his dads old truck,when he got here and I handed him one he said no,this thing is about five feet long.Turns out he needed a running board apron.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
You will need a COMPLETE Cab including gas tank as well as all fenders, aprons, and running boards. If the pickup is a May '30 vehicle then the chassis (less radiator) is the same.
All the body and fender mounting holes in the frame are different between early and late 1930. May 1930 was still Early '30 production.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
All the body and fender mounting holes in the frame are different between early and late 1930. May 1930 was still Early '30 production.
There may have been one new pair of bolt holes for mounting the rear of the new type cab (but maybe not), however it WAS a '30 frame. They did not carry over the '29 type frame special for the commercial bodies. They did continue the '29 type front fender brackets as they were required. The new frames were "backward compatible" with previous models.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Big D

Thanks for all the input... Just to update a bit. I have a "basket case" and would love to make a simple driver out of it. Not interested in shows much, just like the simpler days of cars. I bought several parts for a 30-31 before finding out during some reading that my truck was more 1929 than 1930 given Ford didn't change over trucks until June. The cab is there but the rust will require replacement of bed, lower cab post area, along with everything internal to cab (seat frame, sub frame, cross members, etc). Fenders are there but would need some welding and shaping. Aprons are good but running boards are gone.
thanks for information about frame bolts.... guess I need to get back on correct path. (Anyone want to trade 30-31 parts for 29?)

Got nothing but time...
thanks, D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote