Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Feeling of Picking Up Your ‘A’

Sunday will be my one year anniversary as being a Model ‘A’ owner.(I did as my older brother told me, I put a penny in a jar every time I drove it; so, am I now suppose to take a penny out for each time to see if it will ever empty? Or was that my wedding…)

Do you remember the feeling of picking up your ‘A’ and driving it for the first time. When I picked mine up, it was the coldest day of the year, and I was dressed in Carhartts. I remember crawling into the pickup and not fitting. My intent was to drive the ‘A’ onto the trailer, but that wasn’t going to happen, my lap was pinned against the steering wheel and my knees hit the stick shifter. We ended up pulling the truck up with a tow strap and an ATV. I stripped off a layer of clothes and was able to crawl into the cab and operate the brakes as we pulled it up.

My wife and I spent the next six hours driving home on snow covered roads, constantly looking back as paranoia would set in. We must of stopped four or five times just to check on it. By the time we got home my nerves were shot, but I was as happy as I could be. I was a Model ‘A’ owner. The following Monday I stated my diet.

Posted below are pictures of that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 st drive.jpg (18.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg on trailer.jpg (20.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (17.8 KB, 104 views)

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Dennis Pereira

Default Re: Feeling of Picking Up Your ‘A’

That's a great looking truck. Can you fit in there yet.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
MrTube

Beautiful truck!

I can't wait to get my own "A"
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
30ccpickup

I fit fine in the summer, but put bibs and a winter coat on, it is tight!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

We went to see our coupe on a vacation to Michigans Upper Pennisula. It belonged to my mothers cousin and we heard he was thinking of selling it. We took a look at it in a dark garage. It was half covered, but Patti liked it because of the rumble seat. On the eight hour trip home we talked ourselves into buying it and drove all the way back up with a trailer. I was a little nervous because I couldn't even remember what color it was. We chose wisely, as it has been a fantastic car for us this past twelve years.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
draddog68

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't have any memories of "picking up" our 31 coupe because I was only 6 months old. My dad bought it in 1969 and my earliest memories are of him and me opening up the garage where he had it parked while he was stationed in Germany. We came home in 1973 and I got to kiss Henry on the headlight. That car has been in the family ever since and Dad has taken all of my brothers and sisters, and now all of his grandkids for rides in the rumbleseat. One day I hope to take my grandkids for rides in the rumble seat also. GOOD TIMES!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Bob-A

Cool Re: Feeling of Picking Up Your ‘A’

My first antique car was a 1929 Chevy coach that my dad bought for us in
1966. My first "A" was in approx. 1983 and I traded a VW "Thing" for a '30
Town sedan. Not that big of a deal as both of the traded cars were a little ragged and I kept it for only a few years. In 2003 about a year before my dad died we went in on a 1929 "A" phaeton. Found it in Hemmings Motor News. She was a beaut with a lot of trimmings. My best bud (who I had meet back in the late 60's in the local antique car club) and I hopped into his Ford dually with enclosed trailer and headed to Georiga to finalize the deal. It was a late afternoon in the fall and chilly. The owner gave me the keys and said "take her for a spin". Well, it had been a few years since I had piloted an "A" and never an open "A". Wow! Driving back country Georgia roads in a '29 Model-A Ford phaeton: it don't get much better then that! Kept the car up until last year. During the years with the '29 phaeton I also acquired a '31 standard phaeton which turned into somewhat of a fiasco. Sold it after only a year or so. Right now I am waiting for another "A" to come along. She is out there, it is just a matter of time before I get to have the honor of being a care taker for another "A".

Bob-A

Note: In 2004 I bought another '29 Chevy like the one I had in high school. All original except paint & tires, nice car. But it ain't an "A".
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
bobgreco

I bought mine last August and had to drive it about 20 miles through the suburbs of Milwaukee. I was a nervous wreck as I had not driven one before and I was horrible at double clutching. By the time I got home, I had already decdied that I needed to buy a set of shocks. Wow did that thing bounce.
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
bobpo

I just (pretty much) finished my '30 coupe and I love this little car. I still have lots of work to do, but I can now take it on the road legally. I bought it 1-1/2 years ago and it had no interior, no glass, didn't run, needed paint and 6 tires. I've done all that stuff now and you know, the shocks aren't even hooked up and yet it rides like a dream. I'm wondering how much a difference there will be once their hooked up...

The first time I drove it, 2 weeks after I got it, I had to sit on blankets and hang onto the steering wheel. I was absolutley exciting.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Tony S,Fl.

Bought my 31 Coupe from a freshley widowed women. Had to wait for a month to pick it up. I was so excited to have it. A freshley painted shell with several boxes of parts , cushions and seats.In my excitment I didn't look at the brakes which I found out they were juice. So now I dont have a Model A according to the Modela Police. BUT it looks like a Model A and drives like one and looks like one. Those darn brakes BAH. But you know what they stop very well. Tony
Tony S,Fl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
HARLEYJOE

Just bought Model A Pickup off E Bay last week and waiting for carrier from Texas to NJ to arrive..
She looked pretty in the pictures .
Of course in NJ we have 16" of white stuff out the window and more coming.
I luv snow but when truck arrives I hope it is clear..
Big smile on my face looking out window for truck to arrive.
HARLEYJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Big D

Cool Re: Feeling of Picking Up Your ‘A’

I didn't "pick up" mine... I had seen the prior owner in a parking lot with the hood up, looking at the engine as if he had no idea where to start. Thinking he most likely did not and not seeing any tools I stopped to help out. After seeing my tag on the front of my truck, he made the comment that he had to get him another bike and how much he missed riding. After some talk and the offer to trade him a custom bike that I had built, he wanted my number . Leaving I was thinking that it was nice to do the next right thing and help out someone, not thinking I would ever hear from him again. He called and ask more about the bike, came by a few times and listened to it. One day he called and said that he was ready to trade if the wife approved.... 1 day later I owned a 1929 Sport Coupe... mostly original. I noticed one thing right away, it was not like working on any vehicle I had ever owned. I felt as thou I was simply keeping her happy for the time I owned her. More taking care of the ole girl than fixing her. Hard to describe but enjoyable and very relaxing. I've learned a lot in this year and a half, could not believe the brake system or the upward flow fuel... I bought a project truck a few months ago... going to most likely strip it down completely and start over. Right now, sitting in the yard on blocks... haha yeah being in Alabama there has been more than a few jokes on it.

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
V4F

i had to out run a tornado to get home with mine ! ................... steve