Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Cider Mill

Default oil leak

Recently a friend helped me change the bands in my 15. We took the hogs gead off to get it done (no quick change bands). When we put it back together, we put new gaskets in. I tightened up the hogs head and drove the car for a mile or 2. It was leaking oil from around the hogs head mostly where it goes through the firewall. When it cooled, I tightened all bolts as tight as I dear to, but it still drips oil about 1 drip every 10 seconds. Any ideas of how to fix it? All bolts are very tight now.
Cider Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: oil leak

It now needs a fix after the fact. Mine did the same thing. Take a small brush and wash it well with gunk degreaser. Then a good rinse with brake cleaner. Then smear a nice bead of permatex "Ultra Black" sealant into the joint and finish off with a wetted finger tip... Looks perfect and no runs, no leaks, no errors! Dont forget the corners! You did install a new felt strip didnt you? ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Cider Mill

OK, thanks for the tip. Yup, i did install a new felt strip.
Cider Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
James Rogers

I have found, if I coat the felt with RTV before I install the hogshead, leaks are minimal from this area.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
[email protected]

Thanks for the tip. I'm worried that this area is the one place I could end up oozing oil.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
tmodelman

The corner of the hogshead is always an issue. Ford Service says to lay a piece of candle wicking at the corners to forestall leaks.

Over the years the fix for me has been to soak the felt seal in varnish, dip it in the can, then squeeze out excess with dispo gloved fingers. Let tacky dry.

Then cut the gaskets to the corner up close and snug with no overlaps to allow seepage. Lay the varnished soaked felt down to the edge of the pan gasket. Then add a bead of silicone black sealant right at the corner.

The hogshead will then squish the felt and ooze out the varnish to seal, and the silicone dab will seal the corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2543.JPG (106.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2545.JPG (99.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2546.JPG (119.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2550.JPG (102.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2551.JPG (111.2 KB, 15 views)
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
jboggess

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
It now needs a fix after the fact. Mine did the same thing. Take a small brush and wash it well with gunk degreaser. Then a good rinse with brake cleaner. Then smear a nice bead of permatex "Ultra Black" sealant into the joint and finish off with a wetted finger tip... Looks perfect and no runs, no leaks, no errors! Dont forget the corners! You did install a new felt strip didnt you? ws

This is great adive, it has worked on my 13 T perfect!
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
yachtsmanbill

I usually have pretty good luck, making sure the pan rail is flat etc., but the Pollinator had a few gushers under the pedals and I sure didnt want to take it apart again. I find now the only leak left is THROUGH the Mag plug ('26) like the insulator may be cracked. Gonna fill that one with some liquid epoxy after a good washing!
Re: Macks method: That really sounds like a pretty comprehensive method, but have you tried the new anaerobic sealants yet? Just like a jelled (sp) Locktite, it cures in the abscense of air. Six months later the air exposed stuff can be wiped of, but the stuff that filled the joint has turned into plastic. The jointed stuff cures in a few hours! I had to sell the management at the power plant on that versus RTV on steam equipment. Once impressed, thats all they bought! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

I always used old fashioned Bulls Eye shellac, thetype made from beetles and not the synthetic crap. I never had an oil leak in this area after some old timer pointed out to me that this was the simple and proven solution. I am sure there are better materials available now but this ALWAYS worked with nary a drip.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote