Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
josh1331

Default Does Anyone Know Where This Video Is?

I SAW A VIDEO SOME TIME BACK ON HOW TO REPLACE THE TIMING GEAR WITHOUT REMOVAL OF RADIATOR. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THIS PLEASE jOSH
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Does Anyone Know Where This Video Is?

Remove front timing/side cover and jam a cloth between the teeth/remove nut ensuring the timing marks remain in the same position.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
KGBnut

I don't know about the video you are looking for, but I just did this very job this past Sunday. It is really quite easy.

In addition to the timing gear (I went with aluminum) you should have a new set of timing cover gaskets on hand, a rope seal, and a cam shaft thrust plunger with spring.

You need to pull the generator out first. Then support the engine with a jack under the oil pan, and remove the bolts at the top of the front motor mounts where they go into the front timing cover (one large bolt on each side).

Next, remove the four bolts from the front of the oil pan (that go up into the front timing cover) AND the one that goes up into the side timing cover.

Then remove the bolts that hold on the front timing cover (there is a sneaky hidden one in a notch near the generator). Then remove the bolts from the side timing cover. Keep track of which bolts came from where...they are not all the same.

Be careful when you pull off the front cover. There is some spring tension pushing it out.

The nut holding the timing gear onto the cam shaft is a weird one. I would strongly recommend getting the special tool, especially if you are not pulling the radiator out of the way:
http://www.brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID=797

It may take a few gentle raps with a soft mallet (wood, leather, rubber) to get the old timing gear out.

Carefully line up the new gear with the indicator marks...this is paramount! Then press the new gear in place (keeping in mind that the gear only goes on one way). This can be a little tricky because of the angled teeth on the gear...it turns as you press it on making it challenging to line up the pins.

Check the condition of the plunger and spring in the cover. Make sure neither is broken and that it moves in and out freely. A little coating of grease is a good idea.

You may wish to replace the rope seal that goes against the crank. Mine was in good shape, so I didn't, but I did put in a new set of gaskets.

Bolt her back together, remount the generator and fire her up. You should likely reset the timing.

The difference in power is remarkable with mine. I think the valve timing had been slipping for a while.

Good luck.

Ken

Last edited by KGBnut; 04-24-2013 at 08:56 PM.
KGBnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
CarlG

The video:

http://www.diabloas.com/dasvideos.html
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
oldmanandakid

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Sometimes posts like Ken's above are so detailed and helpful that perhaps there could be another Sticky entitled Tutorials that would preserve these.
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote