Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #21
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Charging a dead battery

A battery that is completely dead and takes no charge and is a few years old, is probably not worth messing with.
Considering the ignition was left on, I would suggest reviewing condition of the points. Points are designed to work best by opening and closing in operating conditions. When a point car ignition is left ON and the points are in the closed position, there is a chance of overheating them and causing some bad contact conditions to be created. At the minimum, inspect and run a point file on them and with new battery check for good spark.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #22
ryanheacox

I've melted points forgetting the key on overnight. Worth a quick check.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #23
katy

Originally Posted by Synchro909
Ditch the BMW and buy almost anything else but not a Benz. Awfully expensive for not much extra and very expensive to maintain. IMO, Japanese or Korean are the best Oh how it hurts to say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Synchro909,

Yes, my wife wants me to trade it in so she can buy a new Lexus. Should have done it before It reached a 100K miles. Would have saved me a lot of money.

David Serrano
Stay away from Land Rovers too.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #24
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Originally Posted by Synchro909
Ditch the BMW and buy almost anything else but not a Benz. Awfully expensive for not much extra and very expensive to maintain. IMO, Japanese or Korean are the best Oh how it hurts to say that!

Stay away from Land Rovers too.
Can't fault that statement!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewilliam_merc View Post
It's not a good idea to fill water before charging.

When you drain current from the battery, the electrolyte goes into the porus lead, make lead sulfate, and the "water" level will sink. When you charge the battery, the lead sulfate is made into lead and sulfuric acid again. And the "water" level will rise again, but because of heat generated while charging, some water will evaporate.

If you top up water before charging, the added excess "water" will come out through the vents and your acid Will become weaker (a new battery Will measure 1,28 to 1,30 kg/liter)

If you have a dead battery, check the density og the acid, charge with 2,8volts/cell and low current for three days and check again.

If the density has risen, but is below 1,28: charge for a week, check and full water.

If density stays the same after three days: get a new battery.

Rune Waltoft from Norway
Also, if the battery starts getting very warm to the touch, then junk it and buy a new battery.
My favorite charger is my 1960's Sears 6 amp 6/12 volt with an amp meter. This tells me exactly what's going on while charging. A volt meter is pretty useless for knowing true battery condition.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #26
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Also, if the battery starts getting very warm to the touch, then junk it and buy a new battery.
My favorite charger is my 1960's Sears 6 amp 6/12 volt with an amp meter. This tells me exactly what's going on while charging. A volt meter is pretty useless for knowing true battery condition.
Yes, except a voltmeter AND an ammeter gives you the whole story. Or maybe I should say "the rest of the story"