Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
eagle

Default Mini alternator

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Alterna...ternator&rt=nc
This could be an interesting alternative to the ugly Delco alternator. Could maybe mount on the front of a generator housing, or inside with some thought and skill. Only 20 amps at 12 volts, although that's enough for most. I like my original generator, just putting this out there for thought.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Mini alternator

Cant even run headlights with 20a...gotta agree with you delco's are ugly next to a generator..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
bobscogin

I've run these. Small, compact, adequate output. Have on on my '42 Mercury powered '29 rpu.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-ALTERN...one+wire&rt=nc

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Cant even run headlights with 20a...gotta agree with you delco's are ugly next to a generator..
Wow, what wattage globes are you using. I run 55 watt Halogen globes. That's a total of 110 watts plus tail lights, lets say it's a total of 120 watts. That's 10 amps. Plus ignition of say, 3 amps and your MAXIMUM draw is about 13 amps. 20 is PLENTY.
On a car I built a few years ago, I hid an alternator inside the original generator housing and no one was any the wiser.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

These Permanent Magnet Alternators are designed for low RPM. I wonder how it would hold up to a car?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
MikeK

That device outputs unregulated single phase variable frequency AC. Their is also an external circuitry box needed to give you regulated DC. You will have two wires for AC, system ground reference, DC+ and DC-. Most Model A guys can't figure out how to hook up a one-wire Delco. And then there is the un-removable belt drive on the thing that will NOT fit the "B" profile width of a Model A belt.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
I've run these. Small, compact, adequate output. Have on on my '42 Mercury powered '29 rpu.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-ALTERN...one+wire&rt=nc

Bob

THAT IS THE HOT TICKET
!

Keep searching on eBay, you can get these for $49.00, new, one wire, internal regulator, V belt pulley. Try "mini alternator Denso". These are excellent alternators, with good regulation, used on a lot of smaller cars new. (Since links tend to go away as the items are sold, I won't list one, but they are constantly listed on eBay.)

Here is the rub:. While you can get them with a V belt pulley, it will probably be for a narrower belt. In this case, you will need to put it in a metal lathe and open the width a bit. Only takes about a minute to do, but takes a metal lathe.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Keep searching on eBay, you can get these for $49.00
Here is the rub:. While you can get them with a V belt pulley, it will probably be for a narrower belt. In this case, you will need to put it in a metal lathe and open the width a bit. Only takes about a minute to do, but takes a metal lathe.
I just grabbed a quick listing for reference. I bought mine for $49, but that was several years ago. Speedway Motors makes a pulley with a 17 mm hole and groove for 5/8 belt for $15. Cheaper than machine work.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Al...lain,1868.html

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
eagle

The one I referenced in the OP is used on several small industial engines. Most do require an external regulator/etc although there are similar ones that are basically permanent magnet motors with a diode on the output so just supply unregulated constant current output. I don't see them on ebay right now but only looked quickly. The little Denso alternators are a good option too as already mentioned. I would build one for my use but don't need it as my generator works great. There are 12 to 6 volt adjustable output high current regulators available too that would work if you wanted to stay 6 volt. Would have to convert to negative ground but that just takes minutes in an A. Interesting options...