Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Jayce

Default [1955 Ford] Oil Filter Problem

I tried to change the oil on my 55' Ford Customline 272 Ci. Motor. I drained the oil, and took the filter shell off. My problem is trying to put the shell back on.
I didn't notice a gasket between the shell and the motor, so I'm not sure if I even need it. The problem I'm having is whenever I put the Oil Filter Shell back on the block, the gasket won't stay around the shell. I've tried putting the gasket on the engine block and then putting the filter on, but nothing seems to work out. Everytime I think I got it, it's just not right, and oil leaks like crazy from the filter.

I was wondering what you old farts do when you're changing the oil filter on your 55'? I'm 17 years old and have little to no experience with this stuff, and it's my car so I gotta do all the work on it by myself.
Thanks you
-Jayce.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: [1955 Ford] Oil Filter Problem

Is this a canister filter or a spin-on? Either way there should be a gasket between either the canister shell and the block or between the spin-on filter and the adapter. If it's a spin-on sometimes the the gasket from the old filter will come off the filter and stick to the adapter. Since the new filter comes with a gasket you now have 2 gaskets where only one is needed and as you tighten the filter one or the other distorts, causing a leak, usually major. Same thing applies to the canister style filters. Check to make sure there's not an old gasket there.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Sounds like you have the canister type filter. As Dobie said, ensure you have removed the old gasket. Common problem with this type filter. Then put some wheel bearing grease on the new gasket to hold it in place, then the filter and canister. Tighten center bolt to ~20 ft lbs and check for leaks.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Jayce

It is a canister filter. Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll have to give it a try after I order a new center bolt, the old was pretty worn, and stripped.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Jayce, here's an exploded picture out of the '55 Ford Shop Manual I scanned for ya.

If you replace the center bolt ensure you transfer the bypass valve parts to the new one. (That is if the new one doesn't already have the bypass valve).

FYI There is an oil filter conversion kit available to convert to the canister type to the spin on type. But sometimes it is a bitch to remove the old parts in order to install the conversion kit. You will also need a special socket (or modify a socket to fit).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter.jpg (44.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-26-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
jsprengeler

Better yet, get the the spin on filter conversion kit. Much less hassle and mess.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprengeler View Post
Better yet, get the the spin on filter conversion kit. Much less hassle and mess.
Yes, I mentioned that. The problem I see is the OP said he "has no experience with this stuff" and those stock center adapter fittings can be a bitch to get out after ~60 years... especially with the engine in the car.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
paul2748

I have an extra bolt if you want one. Very good condition.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote