Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Buy new engine? or rebuild?
New Engine 2 6.06%
Rebuild 31 93.94%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
1949FORD

Question Too many choices...

Well... there is only two choices really, but i need peoples input. I'm looking to get either a new engine or I'm looking to rebuild my flathead. I've been looking around the barn to see if people are selling their rebuilt flatheads, and I've been seeing some pretty great deals. Now... being me, I really don't trust myself with an engine rebuild. So what my question is, What is the ballpark price of an engine rebuild? Specifically inline 6 flathead...
1949FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Too many choices...

You should check in your local area for engine rebuilders to get some ideas. You can also go to some of the web sites that sell engine parts to get an idea of what the "parts cost" will be. There are always "unknowns" with the block and internal parts that can add to the overall cost of a rebuild but, you won’t know about them until you’ve committed to teardown and inspection.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
1949FORD

thanks guys! ill check out my local businesses! ive been looking around and i think i've found some good people. and bk53 i'm going to stay with the Inline 6. I know of a place where i can get some performance upgrades. If i do go through with putting upgrades on her, i plan on staying as period correct as i can
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
bk53

You don't have enough info to make a decision yet. Enjoy the process of finding out which way to go. If you do the teardown and inspection, make lots of pictures and bag and tag everything. The more labor you can take on, the less expensive it'll be.
You could spend a grand having someone pull the motor and replace it, or you could get a cheap but safe cherry picker and do it yourself, with friends. That being said, maybe leave the machine work to a pro. This 65 year old cast iron does not come cheap anymore, treat it with respect. Talk to the local gearheads, mechs, machinists.
Some mighty fine folks to be met there I'm sure.
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
1949FORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk53 View Post
You don't have enough info to make a decision yet. Enjoy the process of finding out which way to go. If you do the teardown and inspection, make lots of pictures and bag and tag everything. The more labor you can take on, the less expensive it'll be.
You could spend a grand having someone pull the motor and replace it, or you could get a cheap but safe cherry picker and do it yourself, with friends. That being said, maybe leave the machine work to a pro. This 65 year old cast iron does not come cheap anymore, treat it with respect. Talk to the local gearheads, mechs, machinists.
Some mighty fine folks to be met there I'm sure.
my big issue is space during the winter. spring-summer is fine, but i like to take on big projects during the winter/fall months and have the driving be in the summer haha! but i can sacrifice a summer
Old 12-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Marv

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I suggest rebuilding with someone i could determine what was going into the engine. I definitly would make sure it had new pistons installed and not NOS either if it is possible to get new for a 6 cylinder anymore. The pistons were the weak point on the early 6 cylinders.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
68HILLBILLY

I believe they used that same engine in the trucks of this period. lots of people just pull a good six banger and put in a v8 when they restore or rod one of these trucks. probably could find a real good used engine if you are patient. It is fairly easy to get a good used 235 chevy when guys hot rod the trucks or the cars. 226 ford will be a little harder but you should be able to find one if you look around.
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
BILL WZOREK

Depending How Bad your Engine is What if you pick up a used one And get the experience and either rebuild it or transplant it into the car & rebuild that one,
You happen to be on the best tool box in the world for these old Flatheads.
I am sure Bolt @ a time you can be talked through it.
The other thought do you have a High school or night school that would let you bring it in for some real life rebuilding / locally there was a trade school that you could bring your car in to the body shop & you only had to pay for materials.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
41ford1

Rebuild. Get yourself the Ford or Motors manuals for your car. Study them to determine if that is something you want to do. Back in the day it was common to do rings, bearings and valves in car. Cylinder taper and condition of the crank will determine if rebuilding in car is feasible. If you do need to pull it follow Bill's advice.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68HILLBILLY View Post
I believe they used that same engine in the trucks of this period. lots of people just pull a good six banger and put in a v8 when they restore or rod one of these trucks. probably could find a real good used engine if you are patient. It is fairly easy to get a good used 235 chevy when guys hot rod the trucks or the cars. 226 ford will be a little harder but you should be able to find one if you look around.
Very true, they pull them because many commonly needed parts are all but impossible to find. Oil pumps, water pumps, and replacement intake/exhaust manifolds. They are like the red-headed stepchild compared to a V8.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
toby

Back in 1986, I rebuilt my 226 H series 6 without any previous knowledge or experience of "how to". I bought myself the 1949-1951 Shop Manual and proceeded to read on how to do this. My engine had 84,000 miles on it and was stuck after sitting a few years. The manual takes you step by step to rebuild an engine. With advice and some borrowed tools from my buds, I started. Dis-assembly wasn't hard and I lucked out on only replacing piston rings(standard) and honing the cylinders, rod bearings(standard). The crank checked out with no scoring and I did not replace mains. I lapped the valves and adjusted them. According to the manual, the cam and bearings usually do not need service unless engine was used under extreme conditions. A new gasket set, bronze paint and I was go to go. I have been running the engine in my 50 Coupe since 1987, logging over 36,000 miles with only a rear seal leak.

Joblot and Rockauto has many parts available. Whole engine kits are available from Kanter and other sources.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
BILL WZOREK

Toby:

This is not a dig / or a smart A** statement !!!
1986 to 2013 = 26 years X 52 weeks per year = 1352 weeks X 7 days per week = 9464 days add in 6.5 days for leap years = 9470.5 days divide that by the 36,000 miles that gives you 3.8012776 miles a day.
This kind of shows how little we really drive these cars.
So Toby your new years resolution could be to drive your car more !!!! LOL LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
funrunr

here you go: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/4175279038.html
This is my local craigslist, $300 isn't bad, you could install this one, run it and drive it while taking the time to rebuild yours. Good luck on your decision.

It is close enough to my house that I could go and hear it run for you if you like.

Last edited by funrunr; 12-10-2013 at 08:37 AM.
funrunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
toby

Josh- That motor is a "G" series in a truck. Not a replacement for your 49 car.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
toby

There is a Flathead engine builder in Rochester, MN(about 100 miles from you). I have seen his work at Hershey. He rebuilds all types of Flatheads- even 6's.
His name is Dave @507-358-0403