Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
arkusvt

Default pertronix problem- can you help, bubba?

hoping bubba will respond to this query. have a pertronix 1 in an 11a with correct pertronix coil. car will quit like you turned the key off. after it sets for awhile it will run fine but then instead of quitting it will start missing and running rough. is it possible to have an intermittent problem with the unit? it;s driving me nuts; don't dare to go anywhere, summer is fading fast !!!
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
richard rink

Default Re: pertronix problem- can you help, bubba?

I am running a Pertronix set-up and have not had any problems. For starters, have you checked to make sure that your unit is well grounded?

Richard
Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkusvt View Post
hoping bubba will respond to this query. have a pertronix 1 in an 11a with correct pertronix coil. car will quit like you turned the key off. after it sets for awhile it will run fine but then instead of quitting it will start missing and running rough. is it possible to have an intermittent problem with the unit? it;s driving me nuts; don't dare to go anywhere, summer is fading fast !!!

Go with another coil and use a resisitor..
1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm resistor. Seems to be a pretty common problem. Does the coil get so hot you cant touch it ???? It shouldnt get that hot. The coil is allowing way too much current to get to the module....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
1932 V8

I talked to a guy at pertronix about there units . He was a real honest guy about there product . My questions were about the ballast resister , run one or not ? The instructions say you don't need one if you are running there coil or a coil with 1.5 ohm resistance . He told me it all depends on the car and what kind of heat the pertronix module see's . He said if it gets to hot it will just shut off . When it starts to cool and finally starts ,it will run crappy and shut off again . He said if it has a heat problem , you will find out by running it . This all made sense to me and I was happy to talk to an honest , knowledgeable guy at pertronix . This sounds exactly like your issue . It sounds like you need to run a resister in the 12v wire to the coil . Here is the catch . He also said that if you run a resister to keep it cool and all is well, you may run into a starting problem when the resister is hot because of the reduced voltage and a hot engine. I would suggest running a 1.5 ohm resister and giving it a try. See how it does. if it runs great and starts all the time , problem solved. Go enjoy . If it runs great but has a starting problem , then get a MSD resister which is .8 ohm . Try it all again and see how it runs and how it starts . If it runs good and still has a starting problem , then try a .5/.6 ohm resister . You just need to find the right combo to keep the module cool enough to run good but also start well . If you can't find the combo but it runs well with lets say the 1.5 ohm resister, but doesn't start well , you then need to run a "12 volt , key in the start position " hot wire to the dist . Depending on the car , this can be done with a starter solenoid that has a terminal that is 12v " key in the start position " . This will give the module reduced voltage while running but a full voltage signal when starting . Now if you are 6 volt , all this still applies . Good luck .

Last edited by 1932 V8; 09-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

The petronix module needs to see battery voltage at all times. So even with a resisitor it would have the red wire to the hot side of the ressitor , not the resisitor side.
The problem is current (amps) flowing thru the black wire on the module controlling the ground side switching circuit.
Voltage is important but the current is what makes them shut off... the coils internal winding shorts causing a low resistance and a bump on current making it run hot...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
arkusvt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
thanks for all the input! i was able to purchase a new AMERICAN MADE (i'm told made in virginia) 1.5 internal resistance coil from standard products, together with a 1.5 ohm resistor, made in japan for subaru. it's got to be better than the china crap, at least i hope so. i'll report back in due time as to the outcome.
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote