Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
denis4x4

Default Interesting Read in Hemmings

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2020/0...comments-block
Old 03-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
DBrer

Default Re: Interesting Read in Hemmings

Thanks for the post, that was interesting.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

Good article thanks.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

After reading this and studying on it a bit, I think there is room for some debate on a few of the author's opinions. I am not sure what the number is that defines 'many" to the author but I think there are still quite a few restoration shops around the country that are specializing in pre-war vehicles. The irony is that most of these shops have quite a lengthy backlog of work which would appear there is still quite a bit of interest in owning a fresh restoration.

One thing that it appears this NY shop is specializing in is nostalgia speed. That probably is a lucrative, albeit trendy niche to be in right now. I think it is great that he is able to make a living catering to that genre.

The question that hobbyists need to ask themselves is how long can the hobby go with present vehicles until they must be (re)restored? Its kinda like the used car market was a few years back when everyone wanted to buy a low-mileage used car instead of a new car. That was fine for a season until after awhile there were no more used cars with low mileage to be purchased. Then new car sales picked-up and before long there were low-mileage cars available again. The same thing can be said about restored cars being available. Based on what I am hearing, trying to find a quality older restoration these days is not so easy like it was in years past. At some point hobbyists will likely start restoring again at least in the paint, plating, and upholstery areas. At that point, many may decide to restore mechanically just because it is not much more to do to have a complete refurbishment. Just my 2 cents.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

Looking to buy another vehicle, I checked on several of those 'low mileage' cars a few years back, all that I looked at had been one-owners, but the problem was, they wanted near-new prices.

For a few bucks more I ordered a new car from the dealership that I then knew was 1.) 'no' miles 2.) full factory warranty 3.) zero percent financing from the manufacturer, 4.) No questions about how the car was treated, how it was driven, what kind or lack thereof of maintenance the car had, whether or not it had had body work of any sort, had it had hail damage, been in a flood, and so forth.

Face it, the vast majority of car and truck owners do not maintain their vehicles. Not like us car guys do. And the 'Pre-owned' crap the dealers sell (not used cars anymore) and the 'Program cars' you know the ones they bought at auction that had been car rental fleet cars.... forget it. Did you ever know one of those cars that had been treated with respect? I never have

So buying new isn't all that bad. And with today's cars with the electronics and computers and gremlins that can pop up there.............

Bringing this home to Model A Ford perspective, it is the same situation. Do you want a professionally restored Model A Ford that was done right, or some cobbled up farmer-fix rat trap? Best to lay out good money for a good product.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote