Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Oil Line Leak

Had the 52 Merc out for a short run this evening and when I parked it back indoors I noticed a new leak. The oil filter line where it attaches to the bell housing (sending unit?) was dripping from the line fitting. I'm hoping it just needs tightening but suspect it might need a new line. I might just see if I can get the local hydraulic shop to make one to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc oil line leak.jpg (62.3 KB, 97 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Oil Line Leak

Or just take a copperline and a brake flare tool.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Or just take a copperline and a brake flare tool.
There is an idea I never considered. I don't know for sure what type ends are on the line yet. I have a flaring tool I could experiment with.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

Normal doubleflare.
Just support long lines when made from copper or they can crack from vibration.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

This is obviously something that someone has improvised.
NAPA has a selection of 1/4" steel lines in various lengths with the fittings and flares installed.
With the correct fittings installed on the block and filter it's just a matter of hand forming the tube to fit.
Of course this is the option if tightening doesn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc oil line leak.jpg (37.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Frank Miller

As stated above, fix it correctly. Chris at Shoebox central may even have a good original line. I think these may be standard for flatheads as oild filters are mounted in the same place.
the fitting going into the filter has a small orifice so only a small portion of the oil is filtered with the rest going through the engine.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
4tford

Pm sent
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
This is obviously something that someone has improvised.
NAPA has a selection of 1/4" steel lines in various lengths with the fittings and flares installed.
With the correct fittings installed on the block and filter it's just a matter of hand forming the tube to fit.
Of course this is the option if tightening doesn't work.
So this is not original? Interesting as it has been that way as long as I've known the car. What about buying a piece of steel brake line with preformed flares, just like the one I got for the master cylinder to junction block last year?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
So this is not original? Interesting as it has been that way as long as I've known the car. What about buying a piece of steel brake line with preformed flares, just like the one I got for the master cylinder to junction block last year?
The steel lines are exactly what I stated in my first post. 1/4" steel lines are original configuration.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
Bob C

From the parts book, EAB-6716-A oil filter inlet tube assy. 1/4" O.D. x approx.
12 7/16 overall length formed steel.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
From the parts book, EAB-6716-A oil filter inlet tube assy. 1/4" O.D. x approx.
12 7/16 overall length formed steel.

Bob
That is true but this system has been altered from stock with the oil pressure sender installed where the tube would normally go. The length would have to be determined from what currently exists.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
RalphG

New information. Both lines to the filter appear to be plain old gas line rubber hose with brass compression fittings each end. They have worked fine for decades but I guess the rubber has hardened and is ready for replacement. Looks like I need 21 inches overall for the top line. Have not removed the bottom line to the oil pan yet but I'm guessing it is time. I have a new piece of steel brake line (pre-flared) with a fitting that threads match so I'm still liking the brake line option. Or if I want to go cheap just some new rubber gas line and compression fittings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc oil line block.jpg (64.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Merc filter top.jpg (57.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
New information. Both lines to the filter appear to be plain old gas line rubber hose with brass compression fittings each end. They have worked fine for decades but I guess the rubber has hardened and is ready for replacement. Looks like I need 21 inches overall for the top line. Have not removed the bottom line to the oil pan yet but I'm guessing it is time. I have a new piece of steel brake line (pre-flared) with a fitting that threads match so I'm still liking the brake line option. Or if I want to go cheap just some new rubber gas line and compression fittings.
Remove the old fitting from the fitting in the block and what is left (the filter fitting and the block fitting) should accept a 1/4" brake/fuel line assembly of suitable length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftt.jpg (62.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Remove the old fitting from the fitting in the block and what is left (the filter fitting and the block fitting) should accept a 1/4" brake/fuel line assembly of suitable length.
Already done and yes, the threads match up to brake line but I need to get a longer line. That strange looking brass piece at the filter does have the small orifice mentioned earlier.
Its curious why somebody replaced both original steel lines with these rubber replacements. I did not check but I assumed it is an original Ford filter system and not an add on aftermarket item.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm not sure which yours were originally, but some of the systems used the rubber style hoses.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I'm not sure which yours were originally, but some of the systems used the rubber style hoses.
Wasn´t it only the real early systems and some bolt on aftermarket ones ??
And later factory installed was all steel lines.
I thought that as soon as there was a dedicated return into the oilpan there was steel lines only.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Could be, like you stated, some of the early systems used hoses. At least the plumbing on Ralph's system does not look like original Ford. If the filter itself is after market or Ford I can't tell.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Could be, like you stated, some of the early systems used hoses. At least the plumbing on Ralph's system does not look like original Ford. If the filter itself is after market or Ford I can't tell.
Checked the 49 model M68 Mercury truck and it has steel lines to and from the filter. So who knows on the Mercury car. Are there any other 52-53 owners on here that know? This one is Canadian of course so maybe we did things different.
I bought a length of steel brake line with flared fittings and am going to try and bend that into the shape I need. Nice thing about rubber lines is they are more forgiving when it comes to lining up the threads. I've seen steel lines into brass fittings stripped when somebody gets them cross threaded because there is not much give when it comes to alignment.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
RalphG

I see now why they went with rubber oil line from the filter on the 52 Merc. After struggling to try and bend a piece brake line into shape to replace it, I'm about ready to go back to the flexible line option. Got to get past the kickdown rod for the automatic, throttle linkage, fuel line. Its a challenge. Not giving up yet.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
I see now why they went with rubber oil line from the filter on the 52 Merc. After struggling to try and bend a piece brake line into shape to replace it, I'm about ready to go back to the flexible line option. Got to get past the kickdown rod for the automatic, throttle linkage, fuel line. Its a challenge. Not giving up yet.
If the pressure sending unit were installed where it belonged,(in the upper 'T' fitting) then there would be a vertical port to install the feed tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc Cruzer shift rod.jpg (110.0 KB, 35 views)