Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
deucemac

Default Unknown 4X2 manifold

I got this manifold from the son of a friend that recently passed away. He knew I was a flathead fan and would like it. I do, but have no idea who made it, where, or when. Anybody got any ideas? The real odd thing is the intake ports, there was no effort to shape them to flow smoothly at all. There is no name or reference marks at all. Anybody recognize it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown intake top view .jpg (42.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown manifold intake manifold underside.jpg (46.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown manifold intake port.jpg (28.4 KB, 105 views)
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Unknown 4X2 manifold

DM,
I sure wish that intake could talk. JWL will hopefully weigh in here.
I'm thinking it might not work too good on the street even setup with
just 2 carbs. Is there any Bonneville salt stuck to it?
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Hard to be sure from the pics, but it looks like an open plenum design with full access to all throats for each cylinder...which would be probably huge overcarburetion for most engines.
The commonest racing 4 carb, the Edelbrock, comes pretty close to an independent runner design, probably a reason for its success and usability.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Paul Selfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac View Post
I got this manifold from the son of a friend that recently passed away. He knew I was a flathead fan and would like it. I do, but have no idea who made it, where, or when. Anybody got any ideas? The real odd thing is the intake ports, there was no effort to shape them to flow smoothly at all. There is no name or reference marks at all. Anybody recognize it?
You would need some big cubes for that manifold, looks like 317-337 to me (?). Paul Selfe.
Paul Selfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
Flatout

It's a Roof. Made by Robert Roof in the early 40's. He also made 2-piece dual plug heads in aluminum and brass. The plugs were fired with a Nash disrtibutor on a Roof angle ddrive.
Flatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
deucemac

What are the distinguishing features that you were able to see and decide that it is a Roof?
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
stromberg81

Bruce, if it's a open plenum could run on the center two as primaries and the outer two as secondaries and use Stromberg 81s. Might run great is the engine is somewhat built,ie..cam, ignition, headers, over bore a little with a 4" crank..
The intake is cool. Might have to put risers on it to hook up linkage...
Duane...
Old 11-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
Flatout

I can't say with 100% certainty that it is a Roof manifold. All other Roof manifolds I've seen have been for just 2 carbs. This 4 pot one may have been cast in later years from modified Roof patterns, by someone not connected to Robert Roof. Other than the number of carb mounting locations, it is nearly identical to the Roof manifolds I've owned. Only one of them had the "Roof" ideintifcation name on it. The crudeness of the design is only equal one other pre-war manifold I've seen, and that's early Portland, Oregon produced Eddie Edmunds. I still have one of those hanging on the wall in my shop. I sold my last Roof manifold and heads several years ago.
Stan
Flatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
X38

Yes, it fits 4 carbs, with the most basic possible moulding cores. But boy, no attempt at flow or velocity. Those square edged runners look like they'd have major dead areas for flow.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
777ag

I'm not sold on this intake being a Roof just yet. If you study Robert Roof's manifolds one of their significant characteristics is the 8 intake mounting bolts run down through bosses cast at the same level as the carb mounting bases. This manifold is not like that and the voids cast between each runner are not a Roof characteristic either.
Also I have early and late Roof catalogs and they make no mention of a 4 carb manifold. His engine packages where dyno tested at 203 hp @ 6300 rpm on a Walter dyno so I can't imagine why he would offer a 4 carb when his 2 X 2 was making over 200 hp.
Those points aside it does look to have influences of Robert Roof's designs and since we have no other Roof 4 carbs manifolds for comparision I suppose it may remain a mystery a bit longer.
A little bit on the Roof Co. They were not a crude or low end outfit. They were in fact the opposite. Having been in business since 1917 making racing engine conversions. So there really would be no reason for him to produce something "crude".
On the "squared" appearance of the Roof runners: they appear that way externally but the actual runners path when viewed from inside are not a 90-degree turn at all, they are a flowing radius.
I attached a few Roof items to help out.
Last thing I also read that Roof engraved each manifold himself and his engravings are pretty deep so it would take a weld up to get rid of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roof V8 60.jpg (76.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Roof_4.jpg (70.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg roofheads1.JPG (58.3 KB, 49 views)
777ag is offline   Reply With Quote