Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default In Color

I started a thread last winter about a George Jones song ... 'Who's gonna fill their shoes'.. The responses were pretty fun. Most of my fleet is running ok, so I don't have a bunch of questiions about technical stuff and I can't answer a lot of things about correct stuff for a 30 something car. Just always loved this Jamey Johnson song. I watched it on youtube and later a gal put up her own version using her dadf's WW2 photos..... I know this isn't Ford and there is probably a ww2 nostalgia group out there, but I don't need any more distractions , s0 I am sharing it with my day to day friends..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
sugarmaker

Default Re: In Color

Gary,
Yes I like that song! Uncles were in WWII and made it back. I saw those black and white pictures too! Thanks!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 AM   #3
flatford8

“OldHenry” had a post a few years ago, something relevant to this and I posted the link to this song. My Dad was there but never talked about it much. I learned at a young age to stop asking. Definitely the “The Greatest Generation”.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
mfirth

Maybe not FORD, but wonderful. Thanks G B ! A friend of dad's ran through live machinegun fire to rescue his pal.......YES, the Greatest Generation. Look at the GR8 Fords they built after WW II . Nuff said. Good stuff G B.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
deuce5wndw

Hey Gary we can talk about other things! Love the song and my dad came back from the Pacific!! Agreed the Greatest Generation!
Dale
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
jayvee34

"All gave some, some gave all" Truly the Greatest Generation!
Old 07-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
19Fordy

That song pays tribute to those who made our freedom possible.
The Greatest Generation gave us the "good life". We surely need more like them today. My dad 3rd Armored Div. somewhere in France 1943. My twin brother Joe, Vietnam, Camp Eagle, 1968.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0342a.jpg (63.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0409b.jpg (65.8 KB, 34 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
Darrell S

I also had 3 uncles in WW2. I was just a young one then but remember them coming home on leaves and all the conversations that went on for hours. I don't know how we have gone from so many willing to give it all to so many willing to give it all away.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #9
19Fordy

Darrell, You said it all when you said, "I don't know how we have gone from so many willing to give it all to so many willing to give it all away."

Freedom taken for granted becomes "Freedom Lost".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
GB SISSON

I think someone wrote a book and started it with "they were were best of times, they were the worst of times".....My dad was flying P47s when the war ended , both the father in laws I had fought in the Pacific. Okinawa and The Philipines. If I try to read 'light fiction' or anything but ww2, it just gets left on the bedside table. I sit in front of my laptop at a loss for words to even imagine what that generation of men and women went through for us. Maybe it Really WAS uphill both ways to school in the great depression. After highschool it was off to Guadalcanal or some other hellhole. I admit I have lived an easy life, too young for Vietnam, too old for Iraq. But I have a very deep admiration for those in the thick of it. Ok, enough... it's bedtime in Olga.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:35 AM   #11
51504bat

Yes we really do owe a big debt of gratitude to those who fought for what too many take for granted today. My grandfather fought in the trenches in France during the war to end all wars. Unfortunately that didn't turn out to be true and WWII came along not that long afterwards and my dad was a bomb disposal officer. So when my lotto number came up during Viet Nam I had no choice but to show up for induction. As the mysterious ways of Uncle Sam would have it I stayed stateside as a MP but not a day goes by that I don't think about the almost 60,000 of my brothers/sisters who weren't so fortunate and paid the ultimate price.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
GB SISSON

As Maynard G Krebs would say to his best friend , "I'm gettin' kinda misty Dobe". The elder Gillis fought in WW2."The big one".... I was working at a boatyard when my lottery # came up, probably '72. It was like #318 or something ... Dumb luck.