Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default A bomb hoist for the rear bumper

Last week I bought this little crane from a seller down south of Seattle on Craigslist. When I first moved to the island in the 70s the electric utility co-op had a similar hand winch unit on all their service bodied trucks. I always liked them, and I can't lift stuff like I used to. I called the seller and asked if I paid full asking price would he drop it off at a truck freight place and ship to me. I pay shipping (75 bucks). There was no close up photo, but I liked the enclosed winch. Well I picked it up at our freight terminal last night in the dark. When I arrived home my wife came out with a flashlight and we examined it. She read "portable bomb hoist" US navy ordinance dept etc. I was thrilled. I went out there at 'dawn's early light' and started measuring for the HD bumper to fabricate to mount it on my '47 tonner. Then of course I had to go to work. But stay tuned this spring as I build a mount and stays for this thing. The fine tooth ratchet is like a Swiss watch and it has some sort of 3/4 turn device coupled to the handle that automatically reverses direction without stopping to flip a lever. The base pipe measures 3 1/2" OD. What am I looking for a bottom 'cup'? Do they make 3 1/2" pipe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bomb hoist 1.JPG (134.1 KB, 1456 views)
File Type: jpg Bomb hoist 2.JPG (105.9 KB, 1383 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-04-2021 at 11:16 PM.
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: A bomb hoist for the rear bumper

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 02-05-2021 at 02:42 AM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:28 AM   #3
Will D

Neato GB. Great find.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:39 AM   #4
Talkwrench

how cool !
Old 02-05-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

We used one in original condition for MANY years. Great performance and durability and portability.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:42 AM   #6
PeteVS

NOMINAL pipe size 3" measures 3-1/2" OD. Sounds like a winner!
Old 02-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
fortyonerag

Score!
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
NOMINAL pipe size 3" measures 3-1/2" OD. Sounds like a winner!
The crane is made out of that size with an OD of 3 1/2". I need pipe that's got an ID of 3 1/2 and perhaps 4" OD. This becomes a socket that's bolted or welded to the bumper that the crane pivots in at the base. I suppose I could also find something that fits the ID of the crane's post and create a stud for it to drop onto. No rain gets in that way as well.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
alanwoodieman

back a few years ago a friend used to pull his correct craft ski boat out of the water and hang it in his boat house with two of these-tough/easy to use. likw gb I can't lift like I used to
alanwoodieman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
The crane is made out of that size with an OD of 3 1/2". I need pipe that's got an ID of 3 1/2 and perhaps 4" OD. This becomes a socket that's bolted or welded to the bumper that the crane pivots in at the base. I suppose I could also find something that fits the ID of the crane's post and create a stud for it to drop onto. No rain gets in that way as well.
Here's a table of pipe sizes. Schedule 40 is what you're likely to find in a local vendor. Schedule 80 is for higher pressures and other arduous demands. Schedule 80 would more likely to be found in industrial type places.

Additionally, tubing should be able to be found in just about any combination of OD/ID and wall thickness. These sizes would be most likely found from an industrial supplier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipe-schedules.jpg (21.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
GB SISSON

From what I gather, the original unit was just the winch, the tube and the cable with hook. The portable part was that certain planes like a Catalina for instance carried bombs and torpedos beneath their wings. There was a hole in the wing above the rack and somewhere some 'U' shaped brackets for the tube to lay in. I think I read it has 15' of lift. The cable does not wind haphazardly around a drum. Instead the drum is machined with a spiral groove around it. Considering it's original purpose it was well engineered for good reason.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete! Looks like schedule 40 3 1/2" pipe is perfect. I'll start my search!
Old 02-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
Hal Beatty

Those are a nice unit! We had a couple of them at the museum which would have worked for loading ordnance on the center line of the Skyraider but never used them.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #14
1948F-1Pickup

Retired ordnance officer here.... that’s pretty cool. Never seen one of those but we mainly transferred nukes.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:38 PM   #15
Los_Control

I wonder if it is a "area" thing.
Grandpa bought a couple of those from Hanford in Eastern WA.
Just saying I have never seen another like it outside of Washington.

He had one mounted on the rear corner of the blue goose. A 1954 3/4 ton international with a 9' box. It really did tear up the box over the years.
That bomb hoist was used for over 30 years lifting engines and such ... things that were really to heavy for it.
He had a built in jack stand in the bed ... pull a lever and it dropped to the ground then put in the pin. Now when you picked up weight the truck would drop a little bit.
Last time I used it was about 5 years ago. I backed up to a shed and then pulled a 6 cyl flathead engine from the back corner. Then loaded it into the bed, hauled it to the shop and used the bomb hoist to unload it.

Truck & hoist is gone today, what a useful tool.
Today we have electric hoist that do the exact same thing, I would not mind owning one of the old bomb hoist.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #16
rawlir

GB,
I too, am restoring a 47 Tonner (pickup)
Would love to compare notes?

Thanks.

Rick [email protected] 425 766 7408
rawlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:56 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlir View Post
GB,
I too, am restoring a 47 Tonner (pickup)
Would love to compare notes?

Thanks.

Rick [email protected] 425 766 7408
Hi Rick, maybe you should check out my thread here called 'what in tarnation' and an earlier one called 'drums along the malbec', I'm sure there are more about me and my tonner world. I will give you a call tomorrow since it is Saturday. Late for me tonight, Almost 8 pm!
Old 02-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #18
Mart

I rescued a similar unit from the local scrap yard.
It turns out it was a bomb loading hoist for a WW2 Mosquito plane.

My friend does voluntary work at a place that has a Mosquito so I donated it to that good cause.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #19
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Retired ordnance officer here.... that’s pretty cool. Never seen one of those but we mainly transferred nukes.

Or "Special Weapons" as the Army called them. From a guy who guarded them '72-'73.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #20
Los_Control

Found a photo of Grandpas truck, get a idea how he mounted it.
Also cant see it, there was a pipe that would drop to the ground had a foot on it, used a bolt to pin it in place. When you picked up weight, it would squat a little til pipe was firm on ground and then solid.
Not sure, but think it may slide up into the mast for storage again held in place with a pin. Very simple but efficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a 031.jpg (84.7 KB, 241 views)
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote