Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default What in Tarnation?

Kind of boring in the dead of winter. I have plenty of work in the wood shop, but I gotta have a mechanical challenge so I have something to 'engineer' when I lie awake at 3 am after getting up to pee. So there's this cummins inline 6 cyl turbo diesel I keep rolling back and forth on a cart in my shop. Not the powerhouse 6bt like a dodge or the shorter 4bt from a frito-lays delivery van. It's a 210 cu in 120 hp. I have owned 2 others but sold them in trucks, the latest I had put into a '59 f350 9' pickup, but sold a few years back. A very rare case of seller's remorse for me. OK, we go back about a week or so and I had been thinking about a conversion into my 47 tonner PU. The 59 ab is low on oil pressure and compression and tends to foul plugs. The truck is a gem though. Maybe best cab I have ever seen and I rebuilt the box and a nice grill etc. Here's what I have done so far. I have 3 tonners in my back 40. One is just a 100.00 rolling chassis with chopped rear of frame and no title. I decided this would be much easier to arrange the engine and it's gm sm465 tranny into as a mockup, then transfer what I did into my good truck. Super easy access on a bare frame.

I hoisted the engine/tranny over the frame and after a lot of head scratching decided the only way I could get the mounts in and clear the steering box, oil filter etc was to cut out the front ford engine mounts out with a torch and side mount it about mid engine..... So I did and other issues kept cropping up. The worst issue was I hated myself for cutting that frame (and since it was a mockup, the horror of cutting my good pickup frame later) Last sunday morning I got out of bed at 3:30 am, Welded the mounts back in and made a pledge that if I was going to do this it would be a complete bolt in kit. No more cutting, no welding on the frame, nothing. The 6at is now mounted with 1/2" clear at the firewall, 1" fan clearance to the ford 6 cyl G radiator I had in a parts truck, re-fabbed motor mounts up forward in the 6 cyl position, using the stock ford donut motor mounts. Trans is mounted on a heavy duty removable cross member just behind the untouched ford trans mount. I made a spacer to get the radiator clearance right but it's just a bolt pass through affair. The throttle lever is in the exact right place on the right side but it needs a pull to accelerate the bosch rotary pump. I had planned to heat the ball end leg to go up, not down, but now have dreamed up a bell crank to change to a pull, bolted to the head. Did I mention I placed a factory cowl on this thing to get firewall /tranny clearance? It would have been used for a bread truck or school bus etc. The GM shifter comes up through the trans cover about an inch further back than stock, but still comes through the cover with no cutting. It's late here and this is the longest post I've ever seen. I will get some pics tomorrow, but excuse the messy shop strewn with scrap metal and the ugly mock up frame. If you have any interest look on youtube at '59 F350 with cummins 6at' I know, I know it isn't a flathead, but I might build a nice one in a couple years and drop it in some weekend. Why am I doing this? Because it was there......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-31-2020 at 11:55 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
cas3

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

i am jealous, and confused, didnt you say a 4bt, and later mocked up a 6at? i read it twice. at any rate, love them cummins. i am on my 4th 6bt, currently driving an 89 (first year) dodge. as most folks say, i didnt buy a dodge, i bought a cummins. i dream of replacing my favorite truck i ever owned, a 63 1 ton ford with a 16' roll deck, with the same truck and a 6bt cummins . drove that ford coast to coast hunting junk for 18 years and knew it was bad planning when i watched it drive out the drive way. keep us posted, i for one will be watching
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i am jealous, and confused, didnt you say a 4bt, and later mocked up a 6at? i read it twice. at any rate, love them cummins. i am on my 4th 6bt, currently driving an 89 (first year) dodge. as most folks say, i didnt buy a dodge, i bought a cummins. i dream of replacing my favorite truck i ever owned, a 63 1 ton ford with a 16' roll deck, with the same truck and a 6bt cummins . drove that ford coast to coast hunting junk for 18 years and knew it was bad planning when i watched it drive out the drive way. keep us posted, i for one will be watching
6at . I think the 4bt is a 6bt with two less cylinders. This oddball cummins was first used in onan generators and was later offered as an automotive version and sold to fleet truck operators. Most of the ones I know of came out of UPS trucks. They are indirect injected and develop their hp at 3600 rpms, so gearing and speeds similar to our flatheads and other gas engines.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
PeteVS

Love it!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
Zeke3

Cummins bought Onan in the late '80's and the 6AT engine was part of that deal. I worked on 4BT automotive applications and knew some of the Onan engineers well at that time. I think the 6AT was allowed to die a natural death by not developing it to meet new emission requirements, maybe around 1991. UPS used a lot of 6AT engines followed by 6BT engines later on.

Good luck with your installation, it sounds like quite a project.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I went and checked out your old YouTube video of the 59 . . . looked like a real nice setup and one that had to make that ole' truck quite the rig. I like your new plan - post some pictures and who us what you're up too!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I got a few photos this morning. I also decided the cowl must have been from a G engined truck and that's why the long arm bending downward and push rather than pull. Today I hope to shorten the short front driveshaft. I think I have 3 of them from my junkyard. I have shortened them before, but today I want to try something a little different. The plan is to scribe an index line for phasing u joints, cut out the 3 or so inches, turn a wood dowel about 18" long on my wood lathe the ID of the shaft.Tap in fit. Weld around the joint, leaving the wood inside. What could possibly go wrong? If the six inches of linear weld ever sheared, I'd just roll to a stop. So here I am cutting and welding..... I also am slightly modifying the radiator support as the radiator is about an inch in front of stock. The cross bar will be bumped ahead. I will keep both of these items from the good red truck and save them for the next generation of flathead lovers. I have a conversion u-joint on it's way that has the GM caps on one axis and the ford tonner axis on the other. I love stuff like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (71.2 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (92.5 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (88.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (87.4 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0055.jpg (86.0 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (87.6 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg dump run.jpg (66.7 KB, 314 views)
Old 02-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Art Newland

So that's what a "tarnation" is... huh.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
So that's what a "tarnation" is... huh.
I was wondering about this too. Most of these "American expressions" come from English words ("vittles' from "victuals", "critters" from "creatures", etc.) but I can't figure this one out.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
cmbrucew

Purgatory?
Bruce
Old 02-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #11
mfirth

Not sure either, but there may be a connection to the Turbo Cabulator.....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

1784, American English alteration of darnation (itself a euphemism for damnation), influenced by tarnal (1790), a mild profanity, clipped from phrase by the Eternal.

The longer version: The history of the noun and interjection tarnation illustrates a phenomenon called taboo deformation, by which words that can be considered offensive or impolite under some circumstances are made more acceptable or softer-sounding by altering one or more sounds that make up the words. Tarnation appears to be a variant of darnation, itself a taboo deformation of damnation, in the same way that darn is an alteration of damn. Tarnation, however, seems to have been influenced by tarnal!, another mild oath that is derived from the adjective eternal—as used in eternal damnation! for instance. The taboo deformations darn, darnation, and tarnation have been used in New England since the late 1700s.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #13
Scotty's 52 F3

What the hell??

I'm liking this project!
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #14
GB SISSON

It was meant to describe my project as some kind of hillbilly nonsense. Like
" What in tarnation is this hick up to this time?"While not a listener to national public radio (my wife is a fan) they have a yearly contest whereas one takes a word, changes one letter and gives it a new definition. The results are often quite humorous. One of my favorites over the years has been 'reintarnation'.... coming back to life as a hillbilly. Speaking of such things I made my dowel for driveshaft alignment but grandparent duty got in the way of the welding aspect this afternoon. The welding may happen tomorrow morning at 3 am depending on the whims of my bladder and the magnetic pull of all that steel and iron in the shop.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:43 PM   #15
GB SISSON

They are a very reliable and fuel efficient engine, and something different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8MAVbo6Gq4
Old 02-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Got my driveshaft welded up. This will give me the yoke to yoke dimension and be good enough for a start and drive around my end of the island. Before I hit the mainland I will get a properly built and balanced shaft. It's only about 2' long, has the carrier bearing on the rear of it. Ideally I'd have a 3150 end yoke welded onto the end of this 2" dia shaft, but it's a big u joint on the tranny's output (from a '77 GM one ton dually) and I only see them listed for a 2 1/2" or 3" dia tube.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #17
Mart

Good work, GB. An interesting project.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #18
GB SISSON

Thanks Mart, Always a good word! Did a bit of cleaning up after the manic phase of making this thing fit. Been pulling the mounts and painting them, fan, radiator, etc. I needed an entire chevy clutch kit so have one on order. This cummins has all chev at that end of things. Still need to work out hydraulic clutch details, but I did that before with the '59. Edit: Did I mention I ordered a 4 row aluminum radiator with bottom outlet on the left made for a chev 350 in a 46 pickup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.jpg (81.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #19
cmbrucew

Gary
I like the cat yellow engine mount. Also your adjustment pulley.

30 years ago I put a 6BT 5.9 crate engine in an old White compact with an Allison MT 640 Transmisson. Very good combination for a cl 6 truck.
Bruce

Last edited by cmbrucew; 02-04-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Adding trans
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:07 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Thanks CM.... When this oil burner gets put in place in my red truck it will be painted and properly wired and plumbed and I hope it will be the kind of project vehicle I could drive coast to coast. Coast to coast on the Puget Sound is from my wife's sisters place near Port Angeles on the West, to maybe even her older sister's place in Ellensburg way back East!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #21
deuce_roadster

Oh yeah Gary, that big trip East to Eburg must be all of 200 miles!! (my son and grandkids live there) Probably only 1 tank of fuel in that rig round trip.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:58 AM   #22
Mart

I'm looking forward to the coast to coast inaugural roadtrip!

Get your movie buddy to get it on video!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #23
GB SISSON

This red truck already has new brakes with new cylinders, lines and hoses, king pins, spring bushings, tires 7.50 x 17 front and rear. All rewired for 12 v, rebuilt heater and instrument panel. Rebuilt the 8' bed and new wood and bed strips. I did all that in 2017 and 18. Just needs a good drivetrain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rimrock suspension and brakes 007.jpg (80.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #24
GB SISSON

A lot has been going on in my life since I last posted on this thread. 2 of my work trucks down pretty bad. We dropped the front of the rear driveshaft of my 92 f350 onto the pavement at about 60 last friday night, racing for the ferry with about 3500 lbs of reclaimed lumber on the mainland. Luckily it's a 4wd dually flatbed so we made a sling to suspend the shaft and ran the breakdown lane in 4wd with the fronts pulling us..... Escorted by the state patrol no less. Two days later my backup chev lost it's shift linkage, So I borrowed my buddie's beater to get home that night. Now I'm on my suburban, which failed to start this afternoon leaving our jobsite. What's a guy to do? Well I got home early because of all this and just so happens it's the the day my wife works late so I got some much needed 'Me Time' on my project. Ok well I had a good weekend on it a few days back. Throttle linkage was fun. Used 3 old 1/2" wrenches with 5/16" nuts in them (drilled out to 5/16) for bearings. Even bought some nylon 5/16 nuts and bored the threads out of them. Now in my bell crank etc I have replaceable bearings. The other two are heim joints I bought on the mainland when we missed our ferry. I could go on all night but wife home soon gotta make a fire in the wood stove so it's cozy in here and she doesn't think I'm obsessed with my 'project'. The aluminum rad arrived today. I had cut out the 'stretcher' across the rad support to move it ahead, and am now adding a new one 1/2" forward, but that's a story for another day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (92.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (77.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (69.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:31 AM   #25
Mart

Good progress despite the distractions.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #26
Ray in La Mesa

I have found a truism "no matter how many vehicles you have, at one point in time they will ALL be broken at once!"
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #27
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
I have found a truism "no matter how many vehicles you have, at one point in time they will ALL be broken at once!"
I'll be on the 7:am ferry to pick up the flatbed and all my lumber. This should give me most of the weekend to work on my conversion kit. By the way diesel engine kits for the old ford big trucks is nuttin' new....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hercules diesel option.jpg (51.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #28
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I'll be on the 7:am ferry to pick up the flatbed and all my lumber. This should give me most of the weekend to work on my conversion kit. By the way diesel engine kits for the old ford big trucks is nuttin' new....

Gary
Perkins and Lister diesel engines were also used in early Fords.
Bruce
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Gary
Perkins and Lister diesel engines were also used in early Fords.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, Both of those names are more familiar in the diesel realm than Hercules. I first saw this hercules page many years ago and now I wonder if it was the impetus for me doing my conversion as a 'kit'. I am still going to great lengths to make this conversion kit a bolt in procedure. I would have loved to mount this cummins engine onto my T9 crash box without touching the driveshaft, but an adapter to put a gm small block into a v8 drivetrain was about 500 bucks and then redrilling flywheel and a few other mods were needed. The GM trans was a bolt on to this particular oddball cummins.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:01 AM   #30
flatford8

Great project Gary.......you got the shop door open and green grass out there!!!!!.....this picture shows why I don’t get much done in the winter......always enjoy seeing what your up to!!!!......Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E63554B-F744-45B2-847E-1AC9FF5AD13C.jpg (34.0 KB, 47 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #31
cas3

those Hercules conversions were popular with the US army, after the war many of the big cubic in gassers were swapped out. not good for the collectors today as parts can be a nightmare. keep up the good work GB
Old 02-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #32
GB SISSON

So the weekend is now officially over... I got quite a bit done though it doesn't show much of anything in these photos. I'm still dealing with my primary work hauler being down in the middle of a huge job, but a guy has to keep his projects on the front burner. This alternator mount for a gm one wire was completely from scratch as the one on it was cast iron and for some kind of unknown alternator. I dug up an extra 'one wire' alt, but it has the wide v pulley on it like we use on a slingshot bracket with ford type belts. The one wire alts usually come with the narrow pulley that I need right now, but can I find one in this cluster****? I'll get one at napa tomorrow if I'm in town. Every thread tapped into this engine block is metric,,,??? I saw that one guy on some 4wd site said onan/cummins had them produced in Japan? Edit: and that oil filter attachment was a cast aluminum 3 bolt affair, but it was afoul with the ford motor mount so I cut the casting in half on my wood bandsaw, then tapped the passages I exposed with a pipe tap and bought the remote setup. I tapped the base of the old stock filter with fittings for 3/8 hose but the new remote housing is tapped for 1/2" pipe. Is that 3/8 hose gonna carry enough oil for this 210 cu in 'beast'. ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (80.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0138.jpg (78.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-16-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:53 AM   #33
cas3

i would think the 3/8 hole is a restriction, but if you have your pressure gauge further down the line you will see what the motor is getting for pressure, but is the volume still there? i am on my 4th 6bt cummins, and a mix of metric and US thread is the norm from what i've seen. i even bought a nice 15MM mac wrench just for my cummins habit, odd size not seen on most import stuff. now, your lucky to be dealing with a normal V belt, thats not the norm. i had a constant problem with my 89 dodge burning up a voltage regulator about every 6-8 thousand miles. the hip cats on the cummins forum were all going for a GM 24 si, whats used on all the medium duty rigs and motor homes so, common on the road and eliminate all the dodge nonsense. i had a couple thousand miles on at home and headed out west to buy another piece of junk to complicate my life further. first morning, middle of nebreaska, cold out, start the truck to warm the diesel and its not charging. open the hood, yeah, the belts on, the alternator is spinning, so...its broke. drove west all day stopping at every auto store and every truck repair joint, no 24si in stock. so much for being common. finally in wyoming, nearly dark, 10 hours of no charge, and a truck shop had one on the shelf. i had tools, was gonna do it myself, but at 15 degrees, and near dark i begged them to do it for me. when the mechanic was trying to remove the belt, the outer case of the pulley fell on the floor!!!. so all day it was spinning, never ate the belt or looked funny when i had the hood open. when doing the conversion i had trimmed a little off one side for better alignment in my lathe, but had no indication that the pulley was made in two parts. i must have cut the weld,or was it pressed together? so now we have a new alternator, not needed, but no pulley. luckily, one of the mechanics had an old dodge in the lot not being used at the time, so i bought the alternator off his truck, paid him the retail cost to replace it, happy with that as i was once again on the road. i mostly only drive my pickup when i am on a trip to get some more junk i dont need, and now a spare alternator is behind the seat. the photo shows that i assume it was pressed together, but hard to believe that ran for about 400 miles with no noise. always glad to hear of your projects GB, you have an interesting life there on the island, keep up the good work, skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0578.JPG (96.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #34
GB SISSON

Thanks Skip! I know that feeling.... 'Hmmm, I'll just shave a little off the side of this pulley on the lathe. More clearance is always good." Good thing I don't have a lathe. Anyone else want to chime in on 3/8" oil lines? And what do I use for hose? EFI fuel line? Hydraulic hose? Braided would be nice with some 90 degree tubular sweep fittings at the ends.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Smile Re: What in Tarnation?

The process goes on. And on. I wasn't totally happy with my throttle linkage, so I cut the bell crank up and re-welded it and used a different pivot bearing in the center. Ford dealership called and said my 92 f350 was done so I got on the ferry and hitched a ride to the shop to pick it up. They had the driveshaft rebuilt, but turns out the flailing shaft had caused multiple teeth to shear off of the ring gear. I opted out of their offer to do a diff and trans service while it was there. I got out onto the highway and GRIND, RAP, CLASH,GNASH. Hellatious racket. I really needed that lumber back on the island for work. I was now a week behind schedule, which has been a tight one. Dang it, I should have had them do the diff service, they would have seen the chunks! I had a half hour to catch my ferry reservation for the 11am. As I neared the ferry terminal, a couple of construction workers looked up from their road work to see what in tarnation the racket was about. I was still a block away from them. Made it onto the ferry and parked it on the other side. Got my 3/4 ton 4wd suburban with my equipment trailer, off loaded 1500 bf of lumber onto that, called my buddie's tow truck who picked up the '92. Towed it to another friend's shop. He pulled the diff cover and said it had more bkoken teeth than whole ones. Lucky I bought both axles from a burned '94 f350 4x4 last year for 300.00. FRom my measurements I need to cut off the spring perches and weld them a bit inboard on the donor axle. It's a 4:10 and limited slip, so I'm doing ok. Heading over to his shop now to get some measurements before I move the perches. Dang, I can ramble on, but at least I'm only hijacking my own thread.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-23-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #36
Bored&Stroked

Glad you had a spare rear axle - that was a lifesaver! Sounds like you'll be back in business soon . . . stick with it!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #37
jimTN

By the way, there is a pic of a 46/7 ford wagon on a truck frame in the latest V8 Times, on the back page.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
By the way, there is a pic of a 46/7 ford wagon on a truck frame in the latest V8 Times, on the back page.
Can you post it up?
Old 02-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #39
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Glad you had a spare rear axle - that was a lifesaver! Sounds like you'll be back in business soon . . . stick with it!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance. A HECK of a place to run a business, but it's private and peaceful and the view over Puget Sound is worth it. My wife has suggested I might buy a newer hauler for the business, but 10 grand for a newer truck with a quarter million miles... This one has 120,000 on it (hard island miles) but low for a 7.3 IDI. 5 speed ZF. In low range 4wd I have pulled the most crazy loads up this hill, never spun a wheel. Not once. Has a 12000 lb warn below the deck and an 8000 lb ramsey up front. Re-create that in a craigslist truck for the cost/hassel of swapping a rear end. I have the best wife ever, but she doesn't know a GOOD truck. What wife does? I continue to hijack my own thread but today being Saturday we went to town and I got a bunch of grade 8 fine thread bolts for my cummins project and some 2 1/4" exhaust parts for my intake to the turbo. This couples to an original ford oil bath air cleaner sitting atop the cummins. Pictures to follow but tomorrow I have to get this load of lumber to the kiln.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #40
jimTN

I do not know how to copy and paste a pic from a mag. Maybe someone else with better knowledge can enlarge and post the pic. If not, I will try.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #41
tubman

Point me to it.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #42
jimTN

Pic is on the inside of the rear page of the Jan/Feb V8 times
Old 02-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Thanks guys! Mounted my nice ford 'heavy duty' oil bath air cleaner onto a down pipe to my turbo. Welded a sturdy bracket onto it and painted it. New clutch is buttoned up with trans back on and now I am obsessing about hydraulic slave cylinders and radiator hoses. I plan to push in the clutch master cylinder push rod with the same leg off the clutch pedal Henry used. That puts the master cyl down on the frame rail so I'll get one with a remote resevoir. All 3 pedals will be bone stock in the cab. I just mounted a shifter knob from a T9 crash box on the gm transmission. I also plan to keep my ford instrument panel all stock, using flathead senders. The truck is already 12 v with the resistors. Pictures tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:27 AM   #44
Mart

Cool. Good progress all round. I know what you mean about obsessing about stuff. If there is a problem, I can't leave it alone until I have come up with a solution.

Keep it up GB.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #45
RobR'35

The Diamond T truck company used the hurcules line of engines in their trucks. Diesel engines as well.
Some of these trucks and engines were quite big for the day. Many were employed in WWII for taking wrecked tanks off the battle field.
A good friend of mine that served in the army during that time had said the injection system in the early years was the weak link to the diesels.
Long before my time. But interesting.
I'm very much enjoying your project.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #46
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Pic is on the inside of the rear page of the Jan/Feb V8 times
this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash.jpg (101.8 KB, 93 views)

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:44 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
this one.

Very, very cool! Remarkably like my own. That's a 2 door or perhaps a 3 door, but so much is similar! I wonder about it's history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air cleaner 2.jpg (96.8 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-25-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
Zeke3

GB, I am concerned about your choice of air filters for your 6AT installation. Attached is a link to an old Cummins video about the damage dust can cause to an engine, https://www.facebook.com/liftedlifet...1266004382770/. If the link doesn't search for Cummins Operation Hourglass.

There was also an SAE paper written on the development of that engine back in 1985 if you would like to know more of the technical details of the engine. The SAE paper number is 850260.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #49
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
GB, I am concerned about your choice of air filters for your 6AT installation. Attached is a link to an old Cummins video about the damage dust can cause to an engine, https://www.facebook.com/liftedlifet...1266004382770/. If the link doesn't search for Cummins Operation Hourglass.

There was also an SAE paper written on the development of that engine back in 1985 if you would like to know more of the technical details of the engine. The SAE paper number is 850260.

Wow, thanks for the warning. I have heard about turbos getting 'dusted', but have also heard that an oil bath air cleaner is a very good scrubber of air, but not as efficient as a modern paper element. I will use what keeps my engine working right even if I have to go 'modern. How do I get that sae paper? I will google it. I'm waiting for ups to deliver my wilwood 'pull type' clutch slave cylinder and master cyl for the frame horn and a braided steel cable to mate them. Still working on my remote spin on oil filter setup and need some creative radiator hoses. Then it's fire up in the frame time. I plan to roll it outside, warm it up and gunk and clean the engine on some sunny day.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:52 AM   #50
tomcarman

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;1854750]Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance.
Perhaps this summer 'd like to pay you a visit. I follow your posts as they are quite interesting. I'm near Tumwater and I'd love to visit Orcas Island. Never been there. What's become of the Model A skidder?
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #51
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
What's become of the Model A skidder?
Yes, you owe us a video!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #52
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=tomcarman;1856358]
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance.
Perhaps this summer 'd like to pay you a visit. I follow your posts as they are quite interesting. I'm near Tumwater and I'd love to visit Orcas Island. Never been there. What's become of the Model A skidder?
C'mon down! The skidder is all 'done'. It's as restored as I want it, and so it sits in a shed, nice and dry waiting to skid some logs. Along with this diesel conversion I am dealing with my primary hauler which blew up it's rear axle a few weeks ago. Very hard to locate a sterling 10.25 with 4.10 ratio '88-'97 for a cab/chassis. Then on the work front I am involved in a huge remodel of our local (only) super market, providing tables, seating, shelving, barn wood paneling etc. All with a looming deadline of April 15. Yikes.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #53
tomcarman

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;1856429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post

C'mon down! The skidder is all 'done'. It's as restored as I want it, and so it sits in a shed, nice and dry waiting to skid some logs. Along with this diesel conversion I am dealing with my primary hauler which blew up it's rear axle a few weeks ago. Very hard to locate a sterling 10.25 with 4.10 ratio '88-'97 for a cab/chassis. Then on the work front I am involved in a huge remodel of our local (only) super market, providing tables, seating, shelving, barn wood paneling etc. All with a looming deadline of April 15. Yikes.
You sound overly busy. Talked to the wife and we're up for a visit this summer. Perhaps in August. Is there a motel notell to stay in and and sleazy bar nearby? Sadly won't be driving the 32. Don't think she'd make it. Also, is the store remodel you're working on owned by a man named Jeff? Might have a common thread if so. Getting ready to retire in May and looking forward to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170528_161520.jpg (85.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #54
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=tomcarman;1856715]
Quote:

You sound overly busy. Talked to the wife and we're up for a visit this summer. Perhaps in August. Is there a motel notell to stay in and and sleazy bar nearby? Sadly won't be driving the 32. Don't think she'd make it. Also, is the store remodel you're working on owned by a man named Jeff? Might have a common thread if so. Getting ready to retire in May and looking forward to it.
That would be great! Various resorts and cabins, B&Bs and air B&Bs. Most of the gear heads here are chevy or toyota. I can't talk flatheads with anybody on this island. PS I still love the flathead V8 in spite of my current project!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #55
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=tomcarman;1856358]
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance.
Weird story on how this sign ended up on Orcas Island....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TumwaterG_3962.JPG (123.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Quote:

EDit: Just in case you thought my wife was 'running off', I didn't mean it literally. We just stayed up watching old country videos on youtube.... OK, just to be clear.

I just downloaded and printed the SAE paper on the onan/cummins L series engine development. Seven big main bearings, water cooled oil cooler with 20 plates on the turbo models, 6000 hours-20,000 hours between overhauls at 3600 rpm. Not sure I can wear it out on casual weekend runs or to the dump, as I am 67 years old in May. Running the fine line on weekends between my wife running off, and me being happy with what I got done on my project. We both agreed about 10 minutes ago that I was obsessed. But we Knew that...... Just about ready to fire up the Cummins 6at in the frame.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-02-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 AM   #57
tomcarman

I know nothing of diesels other than to me thay smell bad. Hope you have a fan to get the stink out of the shop and for safety a fire extinguisher nearby. Perhaps you could post a video of a smooth purring kitten idling in the shop. Looking forward to a trip to Orcas Island this summer.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #58
Zeke3

Now you know a little more about the engine. I agree you will probably not run it enough to wear it out, but UPS probably put 15-20 years worth of wear into it before disposing of the truck. I look forward to seeing it run.

Diesels don't necessarily smell bad, just different.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #59
GB SISSON

Most of them came available in the early 90s..... The engine I have was built in '88. Seems the drivers staged a revolt against the clattering, rattling noise in a tin can of a ups truck with the engine between the seats making it hard to think. My wife didn't like my last 6at conversion and I don't expect her to like this one. I have a bunch of trucks, all single cab. This one is for my guy time. Cummins specs call for 57 lb oil pressure and that is exactly what I have. I hgave plastigauged the mains and rods and it is exactly at factory specs......
Old 03-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #60
GB SISSON

Been running this contraption in the frame over the weekend. The hydraulic clutch is ready to bleed, the remote oil filter all buttoned up, alternator wired etc. etc. If it had a steering box and a wheel (or vice grips)I could rig up a seat tomorrow and drive it around the property. (with no brakes).... The clutch master cylinder is on a bracket bolted to the two diagonal horn mounting holes on the left frame rail. I used a piece of light weight 3/4: dia steel tubing for the long push rod from the clevis on the stock clutch pedal. Threads at both ends. Braided steel line crosses under the pan to the slave cyl on the right side. My son is working with me tomorrow so I hope we can pull it out of the dark cave we call a shop and get some pics or better yet a video. With sound. There is a lot of sound involved with a 2' straight pipe. And yes it smells pretty bad running it in the cave unless of course you like diesel smell. Oh, and I have yet to drill even the smallest hole in the frame.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #61
cas3

that first test drive is so much fun!!!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #62
GB SISSON

Quote:
Really too old to do a test run with no seat or steering box. DID however drag it outside into the sunshine and got some pics.... My son shot a video we might download tomorrow. I can't quite get full disengagement of the clutch yet. Actually I can, just fine, but it happens after the pedaL contacts the floorboard, but there is no floorboard yet....Today I ordered a 7/8 clutch master cyl from Wilwood that should address that. It will be harder to depress, but I'm good for a few more PSI. Also, I still have a nice 46 tonner PU that came from the dry Eastern side of Wa state. It is complete but missing engine/trans. This drivetrain just may end up in that truck and the 6 cyl ford H engine could end up in my really nice red truck. Jury is still out. When the weather warms up I will degrease and paint the engine and ancillary components. My hope is for a really nice look when one opens the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.jpg (93.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (81.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.jpg (79.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0154.jpg (81.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.jpg (71.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg to.jpg (85.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg tonnber ferame outside 1.jpg (91.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-09-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #63
cas3

when this rig is done, why not use it for the daily business rig and dump the late model with the bad rear end? years ago i built a 47 diamond T with a 5.9 and a 10 speed twin stick mack tranny , 450 ford rear, chev 1 ton spindles on the T front axle, for the intended use of a roll back tow truck. i had the cab and chassis pretty much done, but before i built the deck the reality sunk in that i really dont do near as much interstate junk hunting as i did years ago, so i sold it. the point of this story is, i have always been mad at myself that i did not just shorten it up and put on a pickup box so i then would not have had to fight with dodge electrical problems just to have a cummins under the hood. give it some thought GB
Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #64
GB SISSON

Quote:
when this rig is done, why not use it for the daily business rig and dump the late model with the bad rear end? years ago i built a 47 diamond T with a 5.9 and a 10 speed twin stick mack tranny , 450 ford rear, chev 1 ton spindles on the T front axle, for the intended use of a roll back tow truck. i had the cab and chassis pretty much done, but before i built the deck the reality sunk in that i really dont do near as much interstate junk hunting as i did years ago, so i sold it. the point of this story is, i have always been mad at myself that i did not just shorten it up and put on a pickup box so i then would not have had to fight with dodge electrical problems just to have a cummins under the hood. give it some thought GB
Well I just don't think there is any comparison between my '92 F350 4x4
466 cu in dually diesel flatbed and the truck I am installing a 210 cu in six , 2 wd, pickup box. manual steering single master cyl drum brakes. The rig you were building was all built from very heavy duty components, and you might not have been 67 years old at that time. I have a 1/2 mile of twisty and very steep gravel road leading to my place and I haul all manner of heavily loaded trailers up here with relative ease with the mighty '92. That said, I have been having a ball with this new project. It just isn't up to the safety and performance of this later diesel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92 crawls up with the triple axle bulldog.jpg (82.9 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-15-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #65
GB SISSON

Quote:

I know, I know.... It was just supposed to be a stationary mockup to get things lined up and dialed in for transplant into my nice '47 tonner PU. Well it still is. Sort of. Just that yesterday my wife worked an extra shift and I was bored with my cabinet work. Add to this unseasonably cold so I had a raging fire in the shop stove. I had a totally seized steering box with shaft and wheel from a 1/2 ton. Green bible showed they were the same so I stuck the gear box end into the wood stove with the wheel 2' away from the open door. Sure enough she freed up and rolled pretty smooth after lubing it up. Then I dug up a rear driveshaft and bolted it in. After that a really junky exhaust system was worked up. With the factory cowl piece back on I hooked up a kill switch on the dash, just in case.....I mocked up an old seat from an FJ 40 landcruiser on some wood blocks. This will be bolted to the frame before I venture out. I have a rough oval track around my 10 acre piece with up and down hill grades. Won't need brakes for this. Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr Toad's wild ride.jpg (17.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #66
cas3

yeah, i have used a string on the coil wire for a kill switch for "questionable" first drives!
Old 03-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #67
GB SISSON

Quote:
yeah, i have used a string on the coil wire for a kill switch for "questionable" first drives!

This is just a house type light switch wired into the circuit for the solenoid that shuts the fuel off when the key is switched off. As you know, diesels can be hard to turn off once started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (87.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (83.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0184.jpg (90.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #68
GB SISSON

Well..... The stock market isn't the only thing that didn't go well today. I was having fun driving my turbo boosted contraption with no brakes around my hillside this morning. Well, my son showed up for work and I had to show him how this thing goes. He started taking a video.... Well ,I live on a mountainside and while getting turned around, I engaged 3rd gear instead of low and lurched downhill toward the drop off at about 25 mph. I crashed through my wife's chicken pen fence and swung around behind my boat, finally finding the kill switch and shutting down before certain disaster. Not before the fence pushed my shiney Chinese radiator into my flexo o lite fan, ruining both......My kid was taking a video and you can hear the crash through the fence and the shut down of the engine soon after. I fessed up to my wife when she got home from the clinic and promised her I won't drive this pos any more... It will be a nice set-up in my pickup as it has new brakes and new tires all around, along with all rebuilt parking brake system etc etc. The chev clutch in the cummins conversion was smoooth as silk and all systems worked as planned. Just shouldn't have driven that old frame. Living in Washington state, Corona central. , I told my son that if I get it (chronic heart patient) Just point me down that hill in high gear. Way quicker. The video is on 'garymtpickett' on youtube and called 'death trap' or similar. feel free if you know how to post a link. Yes I know I am irresponsible and nuts to do the stuff I do.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #69
cas3

son of a gun...i hate when that happens! if it wernt for bad luck, a fella wunt have no luck at all. too bad that besides the "hair raising" experience it had to cost a new fan and radiator, gol dang it! on a positive note, all systems worked smoothly, except the driver, you missed the new boat, and the coop will be an easy fix, just irritated the chickens and the wife. i will look, but i assume the video to be of extremely poor quality because the kid must have been either laughing his ass off, or wobbling around worrying about what to do with all dads junk if he drives off the cliff to his demise. so sorry about the mishap, but keep us posted on the coop and the wife at least. i still say, dump the new truck, and make a driver out of this one. hills only need more gears. real men like lots of levers, i say a ten speed tranny and a 3 speed brownie, over,under, and direct should haul any load and keep the kids and neighbors from wanting to borrow it. best wishes, keep us up to date
Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 AM   #70
Mart

The video.

https://youtu.be/6unhaM7Seww
Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 AM   #71
Mart

Quote:
son of a gun...i hate when that happens! if it wernt for bad luck, a fella wunt have no luck at all. too bad that besides the "hair raising" experience it had to cost a new fan and radiator, gol dang it! on a positive note, all systems worked smoothly, except the driver, you missed the new boat, and the coop will be an easy fix, just irritated the chickens and the wife. i will look, but i assume the video to be of extremely poor quality because the kid must have been either laughing his ass off, or wobbling around worrying about what to do with all dads junk if he drives off the cliff to his demise. so sorry about the mishap, but keep us posted on the coop and the wife at least. i still say, dump the new truck, and make a driver out of this one. hills only need more gears. real men like lots of levers, i say a ten speed tranny and a 3 speed brownie, over,under, and direct should haul any load and keep the kids and neighbors from wanting to borrow it. best wishes, keep us up to date
And brakes. Yeah, brakes are a good idea.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #72
cas3

thanks for the link mart, yeah, brakes come in handy at times too!
Old 03-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #73
Zeke3

Glad to hear you survived the incident. It looked like you had the foresight to install a seat belt and use it. From the sound of the impact you would have set off the air bag if you had one.

You're a big man for sharing that with us.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #74
GB SISSON

Quote:
Glad to hear you survived the incident. It looked like you had the foresight to install a seat belt and use it. From the sound of the impact you would have set off the air bag if you had one.

You're a big man for sharing that with us.
Thanks Zeke.... At first I tried to get my son to swear not to tell anyone. But the smoke settled and the water drained from the radiator and I picked up after the mess and dragged the hulk back into the shop with the skidsteer, I decided to tell a buddy, then my wife etc. I still wasn't going to tell you guys, but then I thought of that letter in Vintage Truck a few years back. A guy was working on his starter on a 3/4 ton 4x4 chev, manual trans older truck. Truck was facing uphill in front of his closed garage door at his cul de sac. He was on his back under the front axle doing something when his wrench made contact with the starter and activated it. The truck was in granny low and he'd accidently left the key on. He did not fit under the third members so as the truck dragged him through the garage door and out the the back wall, he was in very critical condition, near death. He wrote the letter to the magazine upon return home from 6 months in the hospital. He is why I installed the kill switch as I always remember that story. At 21.5 compression ratio, my jalopy stopped pretty quickly once I hit the switch. But please, have good brakes too.......
Old 03-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #75
GB SISSON

Today I pulled the whole engine/trans assembly from the frame, along with the clutch master and slave and the weird u joints and the remote oil filter, and the ford H six cyl throttle linkage, and all the other stuff that makes this small cummins look like a flathead v8'. The afternoon sun was shining deep into the shop and for almost three hours I was listening to old country music and never thought a lick about the corona virus. Of course when I came into the house I hear that Joe Diffie *(Pickup Man) just passed from the virus.......
Old 03-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #76
cas3

no virus in my shop either. when they close the hardware store i'll be pissed
Old 03-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #77
GB SISSON

I still need a couple of fine thread 3/8 nylocks for the crossmember....
Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #78
GB SISSON

I know my builds aren't ready for an early V8 meet or Pebble Beach for sure, but I wanted you guys to know that all my stuff isn't total hillbilly slacker stuff. I have been having a blast in quarantine welding and painting band fine tuning this little 210 cu in six cyl diesel into my tonner. The PO had sandblasted the frame and I did the brakes and suspension and kingpins two years ago. Once we pulled the front clip off it was easy to paint the frame and the firewall and yes, the engine. I have all the ancillary componets built and on the shelf to button this up. Unfortunately tomorrow is Monday and I have to get back to work in the woodshop, while I still can. As always, stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg progrtammed to receive 1.jpg (87.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg programed to receive 3.jpg (80.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg programed to receive 4.jpg (58.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-05-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #79
cas3

looks pretty good for a hillbilly, and thats a fact coming from another hillbilly. what trans are you running, i forgot, looks like the gm bell housing. one of my 5.9's i had rebuilt and the cummins factory cream colored paint would not come off with two dunks in the builders caustic tank, so we left it on. keep up the reports, skip
Old 04-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #80
tubman

Slightly O/T, but cool.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #81
GB SISSON

Quote:
looks pretty good for a hillbilly, and thats a fact coming from another hillbilly. what trans are you running, i forgot, looks like the gm bell housing. one of my 5.9's i had rebuilt and the cummins factory cream colored paint would not come off with two dunks in the builders caustic tank, so we left it on. keep up the reports, skip
It's a GM SM465 Granny low 4 speed. Pretty much a 3 speed tranny for all intents and purposes from an '82 one ton gmc. I used the same in my last 6at conversion which was a 59 f350 with a later sterling 10 1/4 rear with 4.11 gears. It would do an honest 80 mph (satelite speedometer) on the interstate, but the gears were too far apart for normal daily use. I think the 4.86 gears in my tonner will help and I rarely leave the island with it's 40 mph top speed limit. And yes, it's off topic, but so is a T5 or an alternator. At least it doesn't have a mustang 2 front clip or (gag) low profile 20" aluminum rims.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #82
cas3

80mph without overdrive in a diesel with 4.11's ???? come on GB, if i lived closer we would have to debate that over a beer or three. my stock 89 dodge is wound up at 75, i cruse at 65 with the supposed to be horrible getrag 5spd od. 373 gears, i think, no proof, never checked. now, off topic?? denny, this thread has been up for two months, you know the content, if not to your liken, dont look, its that easy. to come in just to make a negative comment just shows us you have nothing else to do. i come to the barn every day. many days i am only here long enough to scan the first page, and if there is nothing pertaining to my cars, or some knowledge to gain, i am gone. no point in reading that which does not interest me. often i go next to the model t ford club of america. that too, like the barn, predominately talk about model t fords, but...almost daily there will be ot talk that is very interesting. it could be a cool antique boat some guy just got, whats the best trailer tire, how to fix a crank up wall phone or a player piano. its all fun, and when its of no interest, i leave without complaining that it didnt fit my interest that day. gb is a talented guy with a variety of projects which i am happy that he shares with us. maybe we should just have more "what kind of oil should i use" threads that go on for a week

Last edited by cas3; 04-05-2020 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:30 AM   #83
GB SISSON

Quote:
80mph without overdrive in a diesel with 4.11's ???? come on GB, if i lived closer we would have to debate that over a beer or three. my stock 89 dodge is wound up at 75, i cruse at 65 with the supposed to be horrible getrag 5spd od. 373 gears, i think, no proof, never checked. now, off topic?? denny, this thread has been up for two months, you know the content, if not to your liken, dont look, its that easy. to come in just to make a negative comment just shows us you have nothing else to do. i come to the barn every day. many days i am only here long enough to scan the first page, and if there is nothing pertaining to my cars, or some knowledge to gain, i am gone. no point in reading that which does not interest me. often i go next to the model t ford club of america. that too, like the barn, predominately talk about model t fords, but...almost daily there will be ot talk that is very interesting. it could be a cool antique boat some guy just got, whats the best trailer tire, how to fix a crank up wall phone or a player piano. its all fun, and when its of no interest, i leave without complaining that it didnt fit my interest that day. gb is a talented guy with a variety of projects which i am happy that he shares with us. maybe we should just have more "what kind of oil should i use" threads that go on for a week
Cas, unlike your 6bt and the 4bt cummins diesels, the 6AT was originally designed and built by Onan engineers. When Cummins took over Onan in the early 80s? they inherited this engine that was built for their generators. I know nothing of electricity but these generator diesels were designed to develop their rated hp at 3600 rpms. I think your dodge stuff was like 2200 rpms. Huge difference . The 6at is an IDI engine with a pre combustion chamber. They run in the same rpm range as gas engines. An 82 gmc with a 454 or a 350 would do 80 mph, we all did it with 4.11 gears (normal) and a big block/small block would turn 3600 rpms . I'm not saying my 59 f350 would pull Stevens Pass pulling a trailer at 80 , but between Mt Vernon and Bellingham Wa, I did an honest 80 and that's with a driveshaft sleeved and welded using the engine and drivetrain as my lathe. Honestly , the difference we see is the 2200 rpm normal cummins in the dodge and the 3600 rpm onan generator engine I have which cummins adapted for diesel conversion into delivery vehicles. BTW!!!! Thanks for your support on this. The correct battery cable for a '36 puts me to sleep. zzzzzzzz

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-06-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #84
GB SISSON

It will still go to the dump like it always has, but won't foul the plugs on the way home or fill the cab with blowby, like the worn out engine I was using.. Yes I coulda rebuilt the flathead $$$$, but this good diesel was taking up space in my shop and it needed a home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dump run.jpg (66.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #85
Zeke3

FYI, the full load governed speed of the Cummins 6BT and 4BT on-highway engines of the late 1980's is 2500 rpm.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #86
GB SISSON

Quote:
FYI, the full load governed speed of the Cummins 6BT and 4BT on-highway engines of the late 1980's is 2500 rpm.
There are rpm calculators out there. My tires on the 59 were 33" 255 85r 16s. Gear ratio 4.11 . I'm guessing I was below my governed speed of 3600 rpms. In the treatise I downloaded on the SAE's site regarding Onan's development of this generator engine, they tested and ran at full load for 2000 hours at 3600 rpms under full load. They did this with 38 engines with no major repairs needed. They ran some under refrigeration loads for 20, 000 hours as well. All that aside, I have made some progress on this oddball project this week. Drained the gas from the tank yesterday and my son mowed the lawn with some of it today. Put 5 gal of diesel in the tank. Hoping for a startup tomorrow, maybe front clip on Sunday and deliver a load of beams to my ongoing supermarket remodel project early Monday morning. Maybe a bit optomistic, but if all goes well??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april 11.jpg (61.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg april 11 2.jpg (91.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg april 11 3.jpg (80.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg april 11 4.jpg (83.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg april 11 5.jpg (76.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg april 11 6.jpg (72.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #87
Zeke3

That is going to be one fine hauler when completed. It looks like all your engineering on the chassis is paying off on the installation in the actual truck.
The engine and transmission are probably good for 10,000-14,000 GVW.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #88
cas3

wow, looking really good! is that the 9' box on the back?
Old 04-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #89
GB SISSON

Quote:
wow, looking really good! is that the 9' box on the back?
No, the 122" wb tonner always had an 8' box. Only the '42 and later had the ability to haul 4x8 sheets flat and the tailgate closed. It's a beautiful spring day here and I have a couple of friends coming by. I have a few two man jobs saved up. The 9' box came out in '53 with the advent of the F350.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #90
PeteVS

You need an extension on the boom of the skidder to use it as a lifter as well as a dragger.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #91
GB SISSON

Drove it outa the shop today and took a few laps. Lost 1/2 a day and half a night chasing why it wouldn't start and tried 3 batteries....got outa bed at 4:30 am .......... Turns out it was a big thick red battery cable that I loved in my collection, and it must have had a bad spot. When I swapped it out, it fired up instantly like a brand new truck. ( I went from distraught to a kid at Christmas).....Maybe some of you know that feeling.Not going to be in a huge rush to install front clip until I know for sure the gremlins are worked out! Wife took a great video of me driving it but that has to wait til my 26 year old kid can get it up on youtube.... Gol dangit that battery cable... it took 3 years off my life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outa shed 1.JPG (145.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg outa shed 2.JPG (146.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg outa shed 3.JPG (143.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg outa shed 4.JPG (141.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #92
cas3

i too have a collection of big ol cables, some i'm sure would be questionable if put under a load. thats a great lookin truck GB, you will have a nice addition to the fleet
Old 04-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #93
GB SISSON

The front clip went on Friday after work... Then some sea trials. This morning at 6am before work I put the front bumper back on and after work my wife and my son helped me put the hood back on. Pretty much looks like an old faded red farm truck again. but with a surprise under the hood. I have all the ford gauges hooked up and they seem to read correctly with the flathead senders seated in the cummins block. Even the original ford speedometer cable threaded directly into the GM tranny seems to read ok. Oh, and big plus for us rural, no street lights guys is the GM Sm465 has a backup light switch. Gonna mount a really bright one on the rear bumper. It's so great to enter the modern age......
Old 04-22-2020, 04:19 AM   #94
Mart

Excellent progress, GB.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #95
cas3

yup, all sounds good to me. that will be a nice truck to have around
Old 04-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #96
GB SISSON

Worked in town all day on the grocery store remodel... Got home at 5, kissed my wife, grabbed a beer and went down to my personal jailbar junkyard and found an amazing 6 cyl type short air dam for in front of the radiator. This incorporates the hood latch and safety catch. Even though I changed position of the radiator itself from the stock 6 cyl position, it bolted right up and is against the front face of the radiator. Some days just end well with a bolt in and no cutting and fab work.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #97
GB SISSON

Been driving this heap for about a week now....Yes it is too loud, but with the stock gearing that I'm so used to, it just leaps up the long grades that I have tackled for 40 years. The Olga hill, Flarety's hill, Wollards Hill, even the S curves at Buck Bay.....Effortless in high gear. Now ask me again when I take it off island (pretty much never) and try to roll I-5 at 70.... Ain't gonna happen. I built an island truck and I live on an island. I have 3 good rigs from the 90's that I take when I gotta run to Seattle or East of the mountains. That means that about 90% of what I do can be taken care of with the '47. The other two rigs I had with cummins 6at power were geared for the mainland, and were slugs on our rural and very hilly roads. I am very happy with my build, but maybe getting a bit more deaf. Huh?, what?
Old 04-30-2020, 01:08 AM   #98
tomcarman

How about some updated pics?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:23 AM   #99
Mart

Bit Deaf, eh?

I SAID A BIT DEAF, EH?

Glad it's working out well for the use you intended for it.

Mart.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #100
cas3

if the neighbors can hear you commin, they have time to turn off the lights and hide
Old 04-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #101
GB SISSON

It is pretty GD loud! I got home from my 'in town ' job at 3:30 this afternoon and enlisted my wife to help me hook up the cold start advance cable that is perculiar to these oddball cummins variants. It was hooked up in the beginning when the engine was mocked up on a junk chassis, but a wire from the alternator contacted the cable for the advance and started a fire last week. Just another shit show.... Dumped a half of a fire extinguisher on it and we were good...... But now it started hard. 6" of the cable was gone from the dead short and the clamping of it was nearly impossible by myself. My wife spent an hour and a half doing some nearly impossible wrenching, just to help me out. We used bent magnet wands and LED lights and thumbwheel ratchets and a few cuss words, but it is totally back to normal. Dang it I really like this smelly POS.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:55 PM   #102
cas3

i lost the whole shop in 2010, fire is a bad thing. be careful Gb, keep us posted
Old 06-01-2020, 11:53 PM   #103
GB SISSON

Been soundproofing inside the cab and under hood. Mostly peel and stick high density stuff like 'luxury liner'. It's very heavy per sq ft and 3/8" thick. Quite effective on the in cabin noise. I have ordered a rather expensive floor mat from Ecklers Industries and that should finish it off with even more dampening. I recently built a lumber rack trying to stay in period style. I had some really nice 1/4" wall square tubing which is stronger and much easier to fab with, but doesn't have the 'look', so I went with 2" pipe and angle iron. My plans also include a very heavy duty rear bumper from diamond plate with a big hitch and maybe a vice and angled braces from the bed sides. I have also run the extension cords to the four corners for turn signals and bought the signal staT column switch. Sure it's a bit smokey til it gets warmed up, but I'm really enjoying the torque and accelerating uphill, along with knowing it has seven 3" main bearings in a 210 cu in six. Staying cool so far and the paint is still cummins beige on the exhaust manifold after about 500 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokey 1.jpg (83.5 KB, 261 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #104
cas3

lookin really cool GB, i am jealous. thanks for the update
Old 06-02-2020, 03:23 AM   #105
Mart

All these trucks ever want to be is useful, and that truck, in that configuration looks really useful.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #106
flatford8

So.....when do WE get to go for a ride VIA video....????.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 06-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #107
GB SISSON

Looks like a good day for the video. I will give it my best shot!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #108
Mart

Quote:
Looks like a good day for the video. I will give it my best shot!
Don't forget a re-enactment of the chicken shed incident!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #109
GB SISSON

Well, it started raining and that doesn't make good video. Not to mention diesels don't have vacuum to run the wipers and I haven't converted them yet. But soon. Here's another pic of the rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hrack and bed 47 1.jpg (70.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #110
Bill

That rack looks like it was staged to me...lol Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #111
GB SISSON

What??? Like it WASN'T? If all I wanted was something to haul some 2x4s with I'd buy an '88 cheyenne 1/2 ton ok, an '88 F150. 1200.00 bucks and runs forever. Smooth, quiet, boring. I have this disc thing that the green bible calls a baffle on the short front 'intermediate shaft'. It looks like it was once pressed onto that driveshaft to shield the intermediate bearing from dirt road grunge etc. Well it has come adrift and it has taken me almost a month to track down that noise that gets ever worse. Picture a cup washer like 3 1/2" dia loosely spinning on the driveshaft. It drove me crazy, but last night driving home it occured to me and AHA! Giant, loose sloppy washer. Gonna tack weld it to the driveshaft for now. At some point I will have a shop build me a new intermediate shaft so I don't have a chunk of wood in there. It is about 1/16th inch out of true and not sure it that could wreck a bearing or U Joint, but I'm kinda liking this contraption and just may put a few miles on her.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #112
Bored&Stroked

I love this whole thread . . . keep us posted on your progress and take a few videos of it running and going down the road. I bet it will be a really good rig when you're done. Nice work and love your commentary.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:43 PM   #113
cas3

x2 !
Old 06-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #114
GB SISSON

After work I was under it welding that ring onto the driveshaft. I had cleaned the metal off with an old worn out pair of boxers soaked with a can of carb cleaner anbd tossed it away. I have an old friend that comes up here for summers from LA. He has a run down shack about two miles away and is a retired NBC news cameraman. ... Well he came by while I was welding and pulled the flaming shorts out from behind me with a stick. I thought it was getting kinda warm behind me.... I swear on the bible and my Mama's grave I can't make this stuff up. Soooo glad some of you enjoy my rag tag '90%' old ford stuff.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #115
cas3

lots of things can happen while you are hooded and in your welding project and only concerned about one little spot of weld. been there done that. paper towels are another thing that while they are handy, get rid of them once you are done. one spark and its a fire.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #116
flatford8

This same thing happened to my son in my garage.....the rag with carb cleaner was sitting on top of an air hose.....luckily he heard the air leaking as soon as the burning rag melted through the air hose as it was whipping around with the burning rag on the end of it. I got home a short time after and he was white as a ghost and still shaking......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 06-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #117
Bill

The reference to my comment "Looks like it was staged to me" refers to the section of staging cleverly used as a rack.Was I the only one who "got it"? HMMM.. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #118
'36 5W

^^^^ I'll have to admit I didn't get it either.....

Anyhoo; another "enthusiastic two thumbs up" here!
Really have enjoyed following your projects, especially this one,
being a big diesel fan. Practical and utilitarian, all at minimum
expense. Just the way it was done, back in the day....

You will love that early Cummins! Mine can sit for a month; just
a "bump" of the key and Circe fires right up. No muss, no fuss...
no smoke.
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #119
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The reference to my comment "Looks like it was staged to me" refers to the section of staging cleverly used as a rack.Was I the only one who "got it"? HMMM.. Bill

OK, NOW I get it! I never thought of your comment as negative in the first place. I have a friend who has spent a lifetime collecting antique metal working tools and he is highly skilled at using them. His shop is run on overhead shafts with wide leather belts. Everything, and I mean everything is in perfect order with a true museum like patina and quality. All of this is housed in a period correct wood framed shop. Even the lighting and switches are antiques. We laugh because someone once commented "All you care about is what this stuff looks like". He replied, Duh. I have a certain amount of his 'staging' influence around here, but we call his property 'Workmanlike Manor' and mine is perhaps better described as 'Dysfunction Junction'. The other kind of staging. Oh and Cas and Flatford, I need to keep those fires away. Gotta admit the air hose whipping around with a flaming rag melting onto it was a great (and scary) word picture.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #120
cmbrucew

Sparks from a grinder will ignight spilled diesel fuel 20 feet away.
Bruce
Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #121
cas3

"staging" , we call that scaffolding here in the swamp. i didnt get it either!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #122
GB SISSON

Here on the upper Left Coast also call it scaffolding. And my rack isn't scaffolding or staging. It's two pieces of black pipe 54" on the outside to fit the Ford 54" wide bed with a 2x2 angle fitted and welded in between and various steel pipe and strap like from power pole cross arm braces that I had under my bench . etc etc. No issue either way... I hauled a bunch of lumber on it today and it stayed upright. Still didn't get a video.....
Old 06-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #123
GB SISSON

Just starting to get the video thing down.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDytcO65zk
Old 06-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #124
GB SISSON

Maybe this.....? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDytcO65zkbe this
Old 06-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #125
GB SISSON

OK wtf, my kid shoulda put up the next one... wtf?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:56 AM   #126
GB SISSON

OK an

other try.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDytcO65zk
Old 06-06-2020, 12:58 AM   #127
GB SISSON

....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDytcO65zk
Old 06-06-2020, 01:03 AM   #128
GB SISSON

Soooo pissed off. should be easy, not even fun now arrrrgh.... Its on youtube... 1947 tonner start up drive out...... arrrgh could someone make it come out?> arrrrgh
Old 06-06-2020, 01:07 AM   #129
dumb person

I noticed you appear to be posting the same video link over and over.
It's a video of a truck driving on a country road.

If you're wondering why it doesn't display in fordbarn as a little video window, i don't think fordbarn allows that for some reason.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #130
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
I noticed you appear to be posting the same video link over and over.
It's a video of a truck driving on a country road.

If you're wondering why it doesn't display in fordbarn as a little video window, i don't think fordbarn allows that for some reason.
I think the 5 points in your signature apply very well in this post... I see the video on 'garymtpickett'and it is up. I'm just gonna go upstairs and read my book about the battle of Britain..... so much less stressful.... sheesh
Old 06-06-2020, 01:37 AM   #131
GB SISSON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqUcpXGQt1Q
Old 06-06-2020, 06:55 AM   #132
Mart

https://youtu.be/eqUcpXGQt1Q
Old 06-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #133
flatford8

Nice!!.... thanks for the ride.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 06-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #134
RKS.PA

Gary, all the videos turned out great on the Barn "viewing" end! Looks like it was a beautiful day on the Island and that "Tarnation" really moves down the road!!

Thanks for posting!.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #135
Bored&Stroked

I love this thread and this truck . . . am a big fan of diesel engines. Now I must confess, I have a modern Duramax in my Chevy Silverado and it is a beast of an engine. I tell all my gas pickup friends, one you have a great diesel pickup and tow anything of weight, you'll never buy a gas rig again. I can put my 20" trailer behind it and it will go uphill, downhill with ease - I almost forget there is a trailer behind me (which is not good!). I would love to take a ride in your old tonner - it looks like a real blast!
Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #136
cas3

well, heck you drove by so fast we couldn't even see the big grin on your face!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #137
GB SISSON

Quote:
well, heck you drove by so fast we couldn't even see the big grin on your face!
My son took various clips with plans to edit into one 'movie'. He says he may need to load an app on his phone to do this I'd like to have him make a driving the woodie video once he gets the hang of it.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #138
Mart

Tell him to hold his phone sideways before starting. It'll show better on Youtube. I like that one your mate did with the tonner panel.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #139
GB SISSON

That mate has spent 45 years as a hollywood cinematographer. and has a high definition camera , clip on throat mic etc,,,,, He is due to come back to his summer place on june 20 though.[...Any Homey with a cell phone is gonna be in second place, or worse
Old 06-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #140
dumb person

Love the way it looks.
Doesn't sound like a flathead. But i really love the cab.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #141
deuce5wndw

Gary you do the neatest projects! Love the truck and the woodie! I love the power of diesels also and have a couple of 7.3 Ford trucks. The new AACA magazine has a great article on diesel engines. Cummins entered one in the 1931 Indy 500 and finished 13th and did the whole race on one tank of fuel without stopping. They also drove a Cummins powered Auburn from NY to LA with a total cost of fuel $7.63!!!!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #142
Zeke3

Cummins also put a Diesel on the pole for the 1952 Indy 500 race. Check out this video and compare the Cummins car to the others. Its a beautiful race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3cN0SEPfE
Old 06-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #143
RKS.PA

Zeke, that is a great video! Thank you for posting the link. Amazing that once running, there was nothing electrical going on in the car!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #144
deuce5wndw

Thanks for posting Zeke. You're right that is a beautiful car and very impressive performance.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #145
GB SISSON

Hey Zeke, I gotta agree with the other fellas! I just did a search to post onto this thread and hadn't seen these. That car is gorgeous. I recently read a book 'The diesel oddesey of Clessie Cummins' . A great book and lots about the early racing and cross country jaunts in oil fueled flivvers. I came on here to give my latest report. This ol tonner has been my 'go to' rig all summer for any trip into town (24 mile round trip). I have spent the summer chasing down rattles and engine noise with a vengeance. Been lining the floors, hood ,firewall and anything else with dense , heavy stick on sound deadening. With amazing results. Once I got the engine noise under control I started chasing the squeaks and rattles. Yesterday it was bike innertubes on the tailgate chains (huge). Today I went to the lumberyard and hauled home a bunch of 2x stuff and it climbed our toughest hill accelerating in high gear. Like the race car my truck would run without a single electron except the fuel cut off is electric and it needs electrons to stay open. I could install a pull out stop cable instead, but I like the electricity for the lights and heater. This truck has been a really satisfying project and it pretty much does the town run on a gallon of fuel. Fuel gauge system needs some work before I can nail down the numbers, but at 210 cu in (3.4 liters) it does a tremendous amount of work for it's displacement. With seven 3" main bearings and six 2 1/4" rod bearings I probably won't wear it out soon. When I'm not out enjoying my tonner, or out in my boat, or working, or seeing the grandkids, I am slowly amassing the parts I need for trhe 255 cu in 8ba that I am planning to build this winter for the woodie wagon. My std merc crank has be machined to 10/20 and the block pressure tested and hope to drop at machine shop a week from Friday when I take the tonner off island on a 3 day diesel oddesey of my own. Gonna show that old country girl the mainland!
Old 07-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #146
Mart

Great update, GB.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #147
cas3

^^ agree, all good news
Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #148
GB SISSON

I got home last night about 9:30 in the dark. The interstate portion of the trip was but 26 miles according to google. I unscrewed the speedometer cable because it's so far off with the GM trans etc. I had a great trip, saw some of my old engine/tractor show buddies at the work party we had. Here are some details relating to the first trip to the land of 40 mph plus. According to the treatise I downloaded about the development of the onan L634 aka cummins 6AT, it was designed from the ground up to produce electricity all day long at 3600 rpms. It was tested and rated at being able to overspeed up to 5000 rpms at short intrervals with no damage. I covered the 26 miles of interstate in exactly 27 minutes running between 2700 and 2800 rpms for the most part. I ran at 3100 for a while and there was plenty left over. This evening I looked at the Spicer chart showing rpms at various speeds. The specs I typed into their calculator were the following.... rear axle ratio 4.86, tire diameter 34", speed 60 mph. Typing in other speeds I came up with these numbers. 58 mph= 2860 rpms, 63 mph=3026 rpms, 75 mph=3602rpms. At these higher speeds the truck accelerated well. It was at full boost and responded very well to the throttle. I stopped at 3100 which is about 64-65 because I didn't feel the rest of the vtruck was up to it. I had hoped to install seat belts before the trip but worked late the night before. Anyway, it was a great success and well liked at the work party. On the way home I met up with a guy from craigslist selling an onan 2 cyl miller welder which I unloaded today into my trailer of unknown origin that uses a tonner axle without the third member. 5 on 6 7/8 pattern. It was easy to find where I parked in the ferry line. I don't know how the others find theirs when the come out of the mall. EDIT: 16.85 mpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at the rez.JPG (113.5 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg in the ferry line.JPG (81.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg welder trailer.JPG (158.4 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-09-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #149
cas3

good story GB, great lookin truck, i am jealous !
Old 08-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #150
petehoovie

I love this truck!!!

Life is good!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #151
GB SISSON

Still my Go To rig. With so many other trucks, I rarely drive it in inclement weather. I did install electric wipers which ended up being a pair of boat windshield wipers. The one behind the glove box was so easy and the one behind (in front of) the instrument panel had me tearing my hair out. I finally got the sound insulation thick enough and that helped the winter heat as well. Somewhere around the end of August I was asked by the same cinematographer from LA if I would be willing to let them use this truck in a video made for two local brothers, 16 and 18 years old who are billed as 'Brograss'. The song is John Prine's 'Summers End'. Prine had just died of covid. I told my friend Geoff, Yes that would be fun. A few days later we met at 6am at the Doe Day fire hall to begin filming. The 18 yr old drove the truck through many shoots over the next three days. He was raised to drive a stick so had no problems whatsoever. It's been a while, but Geoff is a real stickler and won't send a teaser until it is just right. Hope to share this video with you soon. It is quite a song and video if anyone cares to see the original version of 'summer's end', by John Prine. Here are some random pics of this project. The middle one is my kid and me. He doeas all the fine work that I can't see, like changing glow plugs way down under the manifolds..... I will also add one of the VERY foggy morning in August at the fire hall where we started filming.... Still gotta download the foggy morning one. Maybe tomorrow. Why do I have to always write a damn novel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Pops cranks his winch.JPG (138.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Pops and HT at fenders.JPG (120.5 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg 47 at mb.JPG (138.9 KB, 374 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-15-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:09 AM   #152
petehoovie

"Here are some random pics of this project. The middle one is my kid and me. He doeas all the fine work that I can't see, like changing glow plugs way down under the manifolds..... I will also add one of the VERY foggy morning in August at the fire hall where we started filming.... Still gotta download the foggy morning one. Maybe tomorrow."

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-16-2021, 01:29 AM   #153
cas3

great lookin truck GB. in about 1978 or so, i was living in an old cabin outside LA. and we were approached about filming a breakfast cereal commercial at the place featuring grizzly adams. it was a dreary drizzly day, and in the mix truck, about 10 small tv screens, they could make it a blue sky sunny day. me and my buddy's had lotsa fun, and made a little money to boot. grizzly was bitten by the racoon, a deer wouldnt stand still, and when they finally got a good shot one of our cats would run through the background . CUT was shouted, and grizzly was pissed. he was a jerk, showed up in a ferrari, and spent much of the day in his trailer doing god knows what. fun for us hillbillys to see a hollywood production. cant wait to see your rig in the video. sorry for the drift, just a little humor for the folks

Last edited by cas3; 01-16-2021 at 01:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #154
Sid the Maineiac

I have thoroughly enjoyed your build of this tonner and the antics that got you there !lol
I hope no one is offended because it is not "pure " but a variation of possibilities for all to
muse and enjoy!If you don't enjoy, just skip it ! Always enjoy your offerings ,GB, keep
them coming and enjoy the hell out of your new ride !
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #155
GB SISSON

Thank you Sid. I'm thinking I started this thread primarily about installing the diesel engine, but many of you may not know much else about this tonner. About 5 years ago I was at the Portland Or swap meet with a buddy. He called me and said he found a 47 one ton. I only wanted an express so I asked if it was a pickup or stake or what. He said cab and chassis. Of course I still had to look. I saw long running boards and the bed sides ratchet strapped flat on the frame rails, along with the head board and tailgate. The rear fenders and other parts were stacked with the junk behind it. It was titled in Oregon but had the original pink slip from 1947. First owner was Rimrock Lodge, Old Station California. They are still in business with a bunch of small wooden cabins and a general store. I made the deal and met the seller half way in Centralia Wa. a few weeks later. Some assembly required. I had seen a red tonner, all original, faded paint for ten grand in Texas. I couldn't swing it and then the shipping. But it stayed on my mind. I knew I could re-create it with this. Also I had sold my faded red 38 tonner daily driver 15 years earlier after my divorce to help finance buying my house and property back. I just had to 'get my tonner back'.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portland tonner comes home 069.jpg (74.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg portland tonner comes home 073.jpg (65.4 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg express bed 042.jpg (70.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg portland tonner comes home 037.jpg (56.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg portland tonner comes home 041.jpg (55.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #156
flatford8

Gary.....in post #152, is that a wooden phone booth behind you?.......Mark
I love your truck!!!
Billy Joe Shaver

Last edited by flatford8; 01-18-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #157
truckdog62563

Rear fender envy! I need a set for the tonner MH. Do you have the market cornered on rust free Jailbar Express bed pieces Gary? Stu
Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #158
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Gary.....in post #152, is that a wooden phone booth behind you?.......Mark
No Mark, it's a bread display/sales rack I made for our grocery store from reclaimed wall studs salvaged from a 1906 house. The wood shelves are out of it in that picture. And Stu, I just have the market cornered in Western Washington. I have one more tonner PU that has decent fenders, but they are attached to a pretty nice truck. One day It will get that nice red H six in the corner of my shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fresh bread sm.jpg (55.6 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-18-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #159
truckdog62563

I hope this year (post vaccinations) will allow me to get back to yard visits. Seems the northwest is where these things are best preserved. I have an extra Express bed, but of course it has the 48-52 fender studs. They can be relocated to accommodate the earlier fenders. But first comes freshening up the mechanicals, so body pieces aren’t the first priority right now. Stu
Old 01-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #160
petehoovie

Quote:
No Mark, it's a bread display/sales rack I made for our grocery store from reclaimed wall studs salvaged from a 1906 house. The wood shelves are out of it in that picture.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #161
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
Rear fender envy! I need a set for the tonner MH. Do you have the market cornered on rust free Jailbar Express bed pieces Gary? Stu

Old 01-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #162
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete! And I realized that I got the name of the original owner wrong. It said Rimrock Ranch on the title. It is near Mt Lassen in Northern California. It still has some service records on the door jamb from the 60s in that area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rimrock tonner 003.jpg (72.0 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg Rimrock Ranch.jpg (9.2 KB, 331 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #163
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks Pete! And I realized that I got the name of the original owner wrong. It said Rimrock Ranch on the title. It is near Mt Lassen in Northern California. It still has some service records on the door jamb from the 60s in that area.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #164
GB SISSON

I searched a while to find that old photo this morning. Funny there is a 46-47 ford woodie at the gas pump. Looks like you can get a cabin for the night for 49 bucks, according to what I found on the internet.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #165
petehoovie

https://www.gordonsrimrockranch.com/

Old 01-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #166
GB SISSON

Pete, you are the Photo Master! I have searched all the ways I could. It seems someone would have a photo of the ranch with a pic of my tonner somewhere in it. There is another 'Rimrock Ranch' in Pioneer Town Ca. From pics it's more upscale and also more Desert like. The Pioneer Town one has a red 1/2 ton jailbar pickup that looks like a non running prop with the name on the door. In one photo it has wire wheels.....

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-18-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #167
petehoovie

There are several Rimrock Ranch venues in California. Here's the one at Pioneertown, CA near Joshua Tree National Park > https://www.facebook.com/RimrockRanchPioneertown/

Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #168
GB SISSON

I don't think there is any affiliation, but???? And a red jailbar. Maybe I have his title? No mine is a 79 Y iirc, and definately in Old Station.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:10 PM   #169
GB SISSON

I ran across these on Ebay. I figured they were appropriate and they turned to be quite well made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HBE best.JPG (98.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #170
cas3

Good one GB. on my 63 1 ton I replaced the plastic "350" with "junk Duty" in the chrome emblems on the hood sides
Old 02-04-2021, 11:56 PM   #171
petehoovie

Quote:
I ran across these on Ebay. I figured they were appropriate and they turned to be quite well made.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:40 PM   #172
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
"Here are some random pics of this project. The middle one is my kid and me. He doeas all the fine work that I can't see, like changing glow plugs way down under the manifolds..... I will also add one of the VERY foggy morning in August at the fire hall where we started filming.... Still gotta download the foggy morning one. Maybe tomorrow."

I ran across this photo of my youngest of four when he as about six years old. WE like these old red trucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ht cablights '40 .jpg (54.6 KB, 215 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 09:47 PM   #173
cas3

LIKE BUTTON...push
Old 03-08-2022, 09:59 PM   #174
petehoovie

Quote:
I ran across this photo of my youngest of four when he as about six years old. WE like these old red trucks.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #175
flatford8

That’s a great picture......something about the lighting I think......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 07-21-2023, 12:28 AM   #176
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
That’s a great picture......something about the lighting I think......Mark
Thanks Mark... Ya, I like that picture too. Sometimes I just get a good one.Somehow it's night time, yet the sky is blue and I am sort of partial to cab clearance lights on the bigger trucks. Yankee 77s on that '40. That kid, youngest of four is 28 now and works for an excavation company here on the island. I'm still busy in the wood shop working alone and enjoying it at least enough to pay the bills. I have been working on this tonner a lot in the past week as I am changing out the headache rack and other work pertaining to the bed. I plan on driving it up to Lynden Wa for the tractor/gas engine/steam show on Aug 2-5 and am needing things set up differently. I'm keeping the US Navy bomb hoist on the rear bumper along with the 80 lb Athol vice on the opposite side for proper balance. I have taken some pics and think I will post a thread with some of this latest flurry of manic activity. Fortunately we have had a very moderate summer here in all regards. In the islands a normal day has been clear and 75 and maybe six weeks without rain. Awful hard to keep me inside that ol woodshop when this project is parked 30 feet away! Stay tuned
Old 07-21-2023, 01:13 AM   #177
cas3

Yeah, that is a great picture, especially for a dad. Looking forward to some pics of the Lynden show. Not much rain here on the plaines either, haven't mowed since late may. should be every other week! Carry on GB, look forward to the show pics
Old 07-21-2023, 09:38 AM   #178
51504bat

GB,
In case you feel the need to add another big truck jail bar to the stable. More than a short ferry ride away but the grille looks straight and the body as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jb3.jpg (81.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg jb1.jpg (118.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-21-2023, 10:44 AM   #179
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
GB,
In case you feel the need to add another big truck jail bar to the stable. More than a short ferry ride away but the grille looks straight and the body as well.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:08 AM   #180
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
GB,
It certainly is all of that! A very excellent example of a jailbar truck. I'm actually sorta maxed out on trucks right now in case none of you noticed. And Pete you are a prince of a guy to be resizing all these photos for me and a lot of guys!
Old 07-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #181
Ol' Ron

Sounds like one of my projects, especially the ones that don't work. People ask: Why did you do that?? My answer: I thought it had to be done, I was wrong, but didn't know it at the time I started!!!
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:49 PM   #182
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Sounds like one of my projects, especially the ones that don't work. People ask: Why did you do that?? My answer: I thought it had to be done, I was wrong, but didn't know it at the time I started!!!
Gramps
That's pretty much my way of life Ron. Doing stuff that doesn't need to be done, and the stuff that NEEDS to be done? Well my 42 year old roof still doesn't leak so there's always next summer......