Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #41
GB SISSON

Default Re: Jailbar Ranch

Home built from 2017-2019... https://spark.adobe.com/video/M0ynvLlPj2GCC

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ck+based+woody
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 07-16-2021 at 02:45 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #42
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post

Thanks. Your lifetime of woodworking really shows in that truck, not to mention the usual mechanical, etc restoration work - I envy your skill. For your next project, maybe a two-door panel like a Model A Special Delivery:

CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Thanks. Your lifetime of woodworking really shows in that truck, not to mention the usual mechanical, etc restoration work - I envy your skill. For your next project, maybe a two-door panel like a Model A Special Delivery:

That is a cool truck... I have a couple of model A cowls sitting around... Hey, don't get me started.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #44
51504bat

Quote:
That is a cool truck... I have a couple of model A cowls sitting around... Hey, don't get me started.

And maybe add some tires like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford-model-a-mail-truck.jpg (96.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #45
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Without a doubt!
Old 07-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #46
CHuDWah

Quote:

I was thinking the same concept on a jail bar but yeah, a Model A would be cool. The Special Delivery was an offshoot of the Station Wagon and was produced for only one year (1931) by Ford. Or you could try another offshoot - the Travelers Wagon, a Model A RV. Less than a dozen produced and no known survivors:

Old 07-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #47
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post

That car is well-known, at least among Model A'ers. It was used in the 30s for mail delivery in Montana, hence the tractor tires for plowing through snow. Not sure a convertible was the best choice for winter but I guess they used what they had in the depression. Ford did make Model A and AA dedicated mail trucks:

Old 07-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
I was thinking the same concept on a jail bar but yeah, a Model A would be cool. The Special Delivery was an offshoot of the Station Wagon and was produced for only one year (1931) by Ford. Or you could try another offshoot - the Travelers Wagon, a Model A RV. Less than a dozen produced and no known survivors:

Wow! Really cool. Is that a fold down wash basin inside the left rear door? Perhaps an amenity so the wife would agree to go along on the trip.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #49
CHuDWah

Quote:
Wow! Really cool. Is that a fold down wash basin inside the left rear door? Perhaps an amenity so the wife would agree to go along on the trip.

Yes, it had the fold-down basin, a fold-down bed, a storage chest, and a water tank in the roof (you can see the bottom of it above the chest). The screens in the back windows were about like chain-link fence - ventilation but no bug protection. It did have roll-down curtains that covered the screens and roll-up windows in the doors (unusual for woodies of that era). Dunno if it's true but I've heard they went to explorers in South America.