Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Vonn

Default 1940 dash spray paint

Has anyone used the spray cans of dash paint for a 40 Ford that Bob Drake is selling?
I bought some at the NSRA event in Louisville last week to give it a try.
Vonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 1940 dash spray paint

I have not used his spray paint, but years ago he did sell the lacquer paint for both colors in pint cans. It was perfect. I hope his spray is also a perfect match. Click on photo to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2619 (Small)b.jpg (50.6 KB, 103 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I have not used his spray paint, but years ago he did sell the lacquer paint for both colors in pint cans. It was perfect. I hope his spray is also a perfect match. Click on photo to enlarge.
I realize photos are not a great option for attempting to convey "real" colors / shades due to exposure, etc. Here's (hopefully) a good quality photo that will closely depict the correct shades.
I have witnessed many dashes at national meets that were done with paint supplied by Color-ite. Unfortunately, way to "red" and way too "tan"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2269.jpg (68.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
19Fordy

Kube, That interior is OUTSTANDING. I know you said your friend who had the exact paint formulas in his head passed away taking that knowledge with him. But if you ever can get the paint formulas for the colors on that dash, please let us know and be sure and publish it in your 40 restoration book.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Willit Stop

Not too many years ago the local Dupont (and others as well)automotive paint dealer was able to charge a spray can with paint from regular can of acrylic enamel.It's not cheap but very convenient.If you have a sample of the color, they can match it,mix a pint or more and put it in a spray can.The spray tip comes with a adjustable fan too.The match should be perfect or close enough.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Kube, That interior is OUTSTANDING. I know you said your friend who had the exact paint formulas in his head passed away taking that knowledge with him. But if you ever can get the paint formulas for the colors on that dash, please let us know and be sure and publish it in your 40 restoration book.
I am currently working on the formulas for modern type paint.
Like a lot of professions, it seems the professionals are a thing of the past. It seems most paint shops can't mix / match unless their little computerized scanner does it for them.
The problem with publishing the it (formulas) is the paint (chemicals) change so often, it becomes obsolete seemingly the moment it is figured out.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn View Post
Has anyone used the spray cans of dash paint for a 40 Ford that Bob Drake is selling?
Can anyone answer the question ?
I'm curious as well.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
push_rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn View Post
I am curious about that as well. Bob Drake just had a "free shipping" sale, I almost bought some of that spray paint! Both of my family's 1940 Fords are "Modified", but for years I have wanted to "restore" one of my extra dashes in the stock colors to assemble and hang on the wall (I have always thought the stock 1940 Ford Deluxe dash is the most beautiful ever made!). Back sometime in the 1980's I bought two to three quarts of the correct colored (maroon and rose sand metallic) lacquer from I believe Dennis Carpenter. Those cans are still sitting unopened on the shelf. I live in an area where the neighbors would turn me in if I fired up an air compressor and spray gun, but I might get away with using a spray can (Just not sure how well the finish would turn out!).

push_rod
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Matt in Alameda

Having never used a compressor in spraying and there fore being limited to spray cans, I never had a built in prejudice to the cans. I found out quickly that you must buy quality paint that is made for the surface you are spraying. You have to give adequate time for coats to dry. You sometimes need to wet and dry sand between coats. You need to spray in a relatively clean place....relatively simply because the paint dries so quickly. Ventilation is a MAJOR priority. A proper mask is MANDATORY. I recently did a wood grained dash and showed it to a guy that does them for a living at $1200 a pop. He could not believe that I had used cans and said it was a true professional job. So go for it and good luck,......Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote